Maxstar 150 STL to keep or or not to keep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxstar 150 STL to keep or or not to keep

I recently purchased a Maxstar 150 STL for a steal of a deal with stick leads, tig torch and full bottle of argon. This thing welds sweet! Now I've bought a 330ab/p and don't really need this little maxstar and I'm wanting to find me a 200 amp mig welder now. Problem is I need to sell a welder to get the money. I got a hobart handler 140 mig and I'm debating on selling it or the maxstar. I do a few welding jobs on the side when I can get them, I've got a Hobart 250 welder generator. I was thinking if I'm doing a small job and got a plug in to work with I could just load the maxstar up or the hobart with flux core. I'm just concerned about the maxstar holding up over time. Just looking for opinions I'm leaning more and more towards getting rid of the hobart, but could get more money if I sold the maxstar instead.

Sell the Hobart. Should be a no brainer. We got a few of the 150 's and they haven't died after all these years. We even welded stick all day with the little guys and they have been outstanding.
    Go for a Miller mig and don't look back.

Comment

Keep The Maxstar

I agree 300% This might sound crazy but I have a 2003 Maxstar 150 STL with (Just Guessing but not far off) over 1800 hours. Still welds like the day I got it. Welds 1/8th 7018 all day almost as well as my Trailblazer 300D on my service truck at work. I get a lot of greif for saying that but i believe it obviously the duty cycle difference is there but I believe my maxstar has had the highest percentage of profitability out of any welder I've owned. I would never sell and if it broke it would be replaced by another or a 200.
      Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
      Maxstar 150STL
      Metabos
      Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
      Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
      Stihl TS 420

[email protected]

Comment

Cool thanks. I just got trust issues with something that small. I believe ya on the 1/8" 7018 I believe I can make a prettier 7018 bead with it than with any welder I've ever touched this sucker will burn the crap out of it. I was just concerned about the life of it but with the input I've got from everybody on the forums I ain't no more. The Hobart is going I just thought about selling the maxstar cause I could get more money and make a profit on it. I can come up with the money to buy a good mig just wanna and really need to sell the hobart first. We're about to upgrade to pulse migs at my job so I'm hoping my boss will give me a good deal on one of his regencys with the wire feeder or one of the millermatics we've got.
        Thanks for the input

Comment

I can only speak on the life on my maxstar but it has held up like a champ and never missed a beat. Miller makes the finest inverter welders on the market. I used to think the way you did but I can't kill mine.
          Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
          Maxstar 150STL
          Metabos
          Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
          Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
          Stihl TS 420

[email protected]

Comment

At the end of 2000, I bought a Maxstar 140, [I know, not the 150]it was used for less than 40 hours over a period of 5 years and died, [and never abused], unfortunately, it was out of warranty, I was told to scrap it as it was over 600 dollars to fix. I have been leery of these small machines since, but sure want mine back....maybe it was because it was made by Fronius in Austria, any ideas on getting it fixed....thanks, Paul
            More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Working...
            X