No announcement yet.

Weldor Shortage???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He already has about a thousand dollars of Thomas Train stuff, told him to get a job by sundown or he was on his own,,, ha
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
      He already has about a thousand dollars of Thomas Train stuff, told him to get a job by sundown or he was on his own,,, ha

Awesome! Good Job. My kids love to go to http://www.instructables.com/ for projects as well as http://ifixit.org/ and the .com version. I bought a porter cable oscillating saw for my kid as it was safer than the other saws.

Back to the topic though, I know lots of welders in my area, and it seems the skill itself was mostly dumbed down with mig welding due to the speeds and lower costs and less skill needed to be able to lay metal over a joint instead of in it. Mig has it's place, and I really don't mean to say that anyone is dumb for using Mig as it is cost effective, but the reality is, most shops look at a "Welder" and think they are all alike when it really is not that simple. A takes a more skill to stick or tig and to know when to use the various processes. The whole industry is doing everything they can to make mig work in more applications and the fact it pays less shows that that part of the welding industry has been watered down. My son picked up Mig within a few minutes but he's still trying to master stick welding. I work in a Maintenance shop and most of them consider themselves welders, but when a job comes up that mig would not be the choice to use all of a sudden they have to get a real welder. It's amusing. Sorry to get off topic in my previous post.

Comment

There's not a welder shortage. There is however, a shortage of highly skilled welders you know the ones that run the power house circuit. I'm an apprentice in the pipe fitters union out of ATL and I've seen more guys then i can count bust the UA test. Ive busted a bunch of them myself. They run by the nuclear code and most guys cant pass the test. Every test day well start off with probably 30-40 guys who have already pass 2 yes 2 pre test just to make sure they can do it, and there pretty much the same test just on tinnier pipe and they aint shoot. but well start the test at 9 and by 12 there's 10 trucks left in the parking lot the rest of the guys have already busted out. I've seen this time and time again its not the amount of welders i can teach you to run a mig gun in a couple days on plate in every position. Finding guys that can pass a test at a nuke is really tough. I'm 20 years old and of all the guys in the hall my age probably 10 can pass a nuke test. Im proud to say im one of those guys but it wasn't because i stayed home playing video games i live 250 miles from the hall and our school and I've went in debt trying to be the best welder i can be because i know itll pay off in the end. young guys aint willing to put the time that i and a couple other ppl have. Its all about effort.

Comment

I have been at this a while and I know at this point I would probably have to really work at it to pass a critical weld test. When I was in my 20's not a problem but just don't care anymore. No desire to improve my welding, only way it would be an issue was if I had to pick up my lunch box and start over, maybe to get my foot in the door on some project I wanted to get on.

Comment

Working...
          X