help me understand this BS symbol.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me understand this BS symbol.

This is a British Standard symbol. I know its a plug weld. But where?

Performance Aluminum Fabrication

is it a sopot or projection weld?

Looks like a spot weld or a projection weld, might be mistaken though
    I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

Comment

That would be in the only hole there seems to be

The rest is a mechanical drawing of the part and has no other holes and only one welding symbol and i think it is on your side of the arrow
      but there are no references as to what the notations in the tail mean
      Backed my CATMA over your CARMA
      OOP"S clumsy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite (new)
      Jackson EQC master (old)
      Miller Trail Blazer 302 Air Pak
      Spectrum 625 Extreme
      Suitcase 12RC
      Evolution Rage 3 saw
      Victor O/A
      Craftsmen Atlas 12X36 Lathe
      Half a ton of tooling
      Rusty old truck

Comment

bs weld symbol,

I think the 8x refers to the spot welds , 8 in total, the 4x refers to 4 welds per side of the unit , as it it kinda a laminated sandwich, 4 welds topside 4 welds on the bottom. this details the 8 total welds req'd
        I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

Comment

That's how I read it...

Originally posted by sturugged View Post
          I think the 8x refers to the spot welds , 8 in total, the 4x refers to 4 welds per side of the unit , as it it kinda a laminated sandwich, 4 welds topside 4 welds on the bottom. this details the 8 total welds req'd
          That's how I read it...but what is with the dashed line on top? Is that a bad way of saying stitch weld far side?
          MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
          Just For Home Projects.

Comment

Originally posted by sturugged View Post
            I got that part. Im thrown off by the arrow pointed at the center. I think its a plug weld on the near side of the arrow. like this?

I would think it would call for something like this.

Last edited by travisc454; 07-19-2012, 10:07 AM.

Comment

weld symbol

If the symbol is on the solid line it means near side. If it is on the dashed line it means far side. The circular symbol can meam plug weld or projection weld.

Comment

Originally posted by travisc454 View Post
                I got that part. Im thrown off by the arrow pointed at the center. I think its a plug weld on the near side of the arrow. like this?

I would think it would call for something like this.

AGAIN...IT IS NOT A PLUG WELD!!! There is no hole to "plug." It is a SPOT weld at the crosshair/tip of the arrow...
                Just For Home Projects.

Comment

Originally posted by caddidaddy55 View Post
                  If the symbol is on the solid line it means near side. If it is on the dashed line it means far side. The circular symbol can meam plug weld or projection weld.
                  Thats what I thought. so my last post/pictures were correct?

Originally posted by Doughboyracer View Post
                  AGAIN...IT IS NOT A PLUG WELD!!! There is no hole to "plug." It is a SPOT weld at the crosshair/tip of the arrow...
                  whats with the SCREAMING. I think your wrong. A spot weld at the tip of the arrow would not even join the pieces together.

Comment

It is plug weld cross hatch lines designate hole or it wouldnt be centered FS is far side NS is near side and as for the broken lines on top of the arrow its probably to designate the holes inside the piece most likely a poor detailer did this becuase there is no need for the hidden lines if it was a stitch weld it would have pitch and length desingnated such as 1inch on 3 inch center.
                    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts

Comment

A weld symbol for a spot weld shows the circle thru the line, a plug weld is actually shown as a box on the reference line but this weld symbol on the drawing is for a projection weld. I looked it up on the AWS chart of weld symbols.

The intermittent line is incorrect and maybe its possible the engineer meant a solid line which would mean grind flush. Bob.

And if this aint right, maybe ask Drpipe.

Comment

correction

doughboyracer is correct, the symbol means spot or projection weld I typed it in wrong. see link
                        http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...E8652503F09971
                        I stand by the meaning off the dashed line see link
                        http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...D9626A&first=1
                        whoever looked this up on the AWS chart, these are not American welding symbols they are European. I also agree that in this instance it would have to be a projection weld.

Comment

Originally posted by caddidaddy55 View Post
                          doughboyracer is correct, the symbol means spot or projection weld I typed it in wrong. see link
                          http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...E8652503F09971
                          I stand by the meaning off the dashed line see link
                          http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...D9626A&first=1
                          whoever looked this up on the AWS chart, these are not American welding symbols they are European. I also agree that in this instance it would have to be a projection weld.
                          Your right. problem is a spot or projection weld there will do nothing. I shouldn't have let this throw me off. Just like 90% of the prints sent to me this one is full of errors. Im gonna give them a call. Thanks
                          Last edited by travisc454; 07-20-2012, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by travisc454 View Post
                            Your right. problem is a spot or projection weld there will do nothing. I shouldn't have let this throw me off. Just like 90% of the prints sent to me this one is full of errors. Im gonna give them a call. Thanks
                            Why wouldn't it do anything? the piece in the middle is 10mm plate with rounded corners and a hole in the middle. Don't see the issue...?
                            Just For Home Projects.

Comment

i'll help

here.... it may be gas or it may be flour, i'll throw it on the fire anyway

http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Drawing/Weld.html

Comment

Working...
                              X