Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JSFAB
    replied
    I agree with Portable, I have the standard service-truck compressor, 12.5 horsepower Kohler driving a Champion/Gardner-Denver compressor head. Keeps up with a 4-hole K4000 Carbon gouger. When using a 1" impact, don't have to wait any longer than most truck shop air compressors for recovery time. Currently using '90's F350 4x4s, single rears, no problems putting a 250-300 amp engine drive and this air compressor on a truck, and staying under the typical 9000 pound GVWR.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    At Prax you have to go through a salesman, NOT the front counter a they are stuck with the pricing. This is true for almost any distributor. Western Canada is stuck going through AirGAs, AirGas sells to the distributor for pretty much retail so the distributor has to make a profit on it before they sell it to you at a higher margin.

I deal with OXYpro as I know the owner quite well, though I still go through one of his salesmen.

Leave a comment:

• weld007
    replied
    Originally posted by cruizer View Post
    Thats still a little too high, who did you buy it from?
    western canadian welding suplies, i shoped around a bit praxair was more and acklands wanted 5 grand.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    I was the tax thing, I don't include it as I get it back anyways through write offs.

Leave a comment:

• Portable Welder
    replied
    It was a Miller Distributer, The actual price was $ 4463 plus tax that brought it to $ 4730.00.
    $ 270.00 shy of $ 5,000.00.

I actual just got a job from the weld supply to do some work on their building so I didd'nt try to talk them down.
    It was only $ 140.00 more than what I would have paid online and we have a big job to start on Monday so I was not in a possition to wait.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Originally posted by weld007 View Post
    i bought a tb 302 no efi about a month and a half ago paid 4550 and got them to throw in a free cover.
    Thats still a little too high, who did you buy it from?

Leave a comment:

• weld007
    replied
    i bought a tb 302 no efi about a month and a half ago paid 4550 and got them to throw in a free cover.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    $5K is wayyyyy high. Did you buy it from an LWS that doesn't have a Miller contract, or one that uses AirGas to buy them from.

Leave a comment:

• Portable Welder
    replied
    Both of my Trail Blazers are down, one in the repair shop and as of yesterday the other one has acted up so I was forced to go buy a new one, I did not get the air pac nor did I go with the EFI.
    The price sure has crept up on the little machines however, just under $ 5,000.00
    and people think I make to much when I tell them I have a $ 160.00 minimum to come out to a job.
    A carpenter typically charges $ 15-20 hr. less than me but $ 5,000.00 will buy every tool he needs and still leave money left to help buy a truck.

A full blown service truck with a crane, compressor, welder and tools is well over $ 100,000.00.

Leave a comment:

• killdozerd11
    replied
    I have run from 1/2" to 1" impacts off it
    And i don't use the blaster very often either but if something needs a massive amount of rust and scale removed you can't beat it even with the mess it makes and metal is real clean even in tight places you can't get a grinder with a wire wheel of any kind and it's way faster...You just wind up having to blow all that abrasive out

It will deliver on high output 31 CFM @ up to 160 PSI @ 100% duty cycle
    No tank needed

Leave a comment:

• Portable Welder
    replied
    Dont worry kill Dozer, I'm not getting pressure and volume mixed up and I dont dispute that the average screw compressor puts out alot more CFM, I only have a 1/2" impact and there are times when I have to wait for my compressor to kick off at 175 to get that little extra to bust the bolt loose, If I'm not mistaken I believe the average screw compressor gives 150 psi max.

Your right about sand blasting, when I have to blast out on a job which is rarely, I have to have both my trucks out on the job and I couple the 2 compressors together.

Leave a comment:

• killdozerd11
    replied
    Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Cruizer, I have to agree with you, When I can buy 3 trailblazers for the cost of one big diesel I cant justify the $12,000.00 diesel.

I also cant justify the Trail blazer air pac, I can buy 2 gas powered compressors for the upcharge of the air option on the welders and the gas compressor is 2 stage and gives me 175 psi that is helpfull when trying to break some bolts loose.
    The screw compressor on my TB 302 beats pistons any day
    and i work out of either of my two pickups and don't have room for a separate compressor that just burns more gas

I don't know when folks will ever learn that higher pressure does NOT equal volume

I have run all sizes of impact wrenches and plasma cutters and sand blasters off the screw compressor and never lacked for full volume at 90 to 100 psi

But i don't run things above there rated pressure it just kills them sooner

Leave a comment:

• Aaron Moberg
    replied
    Originally posted by beamwalker View Post
    Originally posted by walker View Post
    My TB 251 says 50 hr oil change right on the info tag. It is also very good on CV, I wonder what might make your not good on CV?
    it will weld fine for maybe an hour on cv then it will stop giving weld output in cv mode. i unplug my suitcase switch it back to stick and just use it for stick mode for while. in fact i just quit using it for cv. i drag big blue 500 out for cv now. it will give me 30-32 volts all day no problem. and my connections were clean on 251. its just not worth fight.
    That's too bad, I was impressed with how well it worked on mine. Don't do wire feed very often.

Leave a comment:

• beamwalker
    replied
    Originally posted by walker View Post
    My TB 251 says 50 hr oil change right on the info tag. It is also very good on CV, I wonder what might make your not good on CV?
    it will weld fine for maybe an hour on cv then it will stop giving weld output in cv mode. i unplug my suitcase switch it back to stick and just use it for stick mode for while. in fact i just quit using it for cv. i drag big blue 500 out for cv now. it will give me 30-32 volts all day no problem. and my connections were clean on 251. its just not worth fight.

Leave a comment:

• Portable Welder
    replied
    Cruizer, I have to agree with you, When I can buy 3 trailblazers for the cost of one big diesel I cant justify the $12,000.00 diesel.

I also cant justify the Trail blazer air pac, I can buy 2 gas powered compressors for the upcharge of the air option on the welders and the gas compressor is 2 stage and gives me 175 psi that is helpfull when trying to break some bolts loose.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X