Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys use for burns on arms, etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the time you feel it start burning, it is already too late. Grab some ice, rub it on and get back to work. It will be worse the next day, so put some triple antibiotic on it especially if the skin breaks.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

Originally posted by shovelon:288273
      By the time you feel it start burning, it is already too late. Grab some ice, rub it on and get back to work. It will be worse the next day, so put some triple antibiotic on it especially if the skin breaks.
      What he said, for the antibiotic I normally use Neosporin. I dislike the vasoline base of most antibiotics.
      Joe
      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
        "Sunburns" is a sign of an amateur.
        Hahaha, that statement brought back some memories.
        A shop I worked at hired this "welder", he claimed he was experienced at GMAW and GTAW, not too mention he knew pretty much everything else there was to know... according to him. Anyway it was a warm summer day and he's going to start welding up a project with the upper part of his coveralls tied around his waist. The problem was he's wearing one of those large mesh sports shirts. One of the guys mentioned to him that he should cover up, he assured us it was ok he does this "all the time". Um yeah after welding on and off all day like that he didn't make it in the next day. Apparently his dad went to the hospital with heart problems, being the nice guys we were we thought we'd send some flowers... but none of the hospitals had anyone registered with that name.
        I think he came back to work one day that week and that was pretty much his career with our shop.
        at home:
        2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
        2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
        2008 Suitcase 12RC
        Spoolmatic 30A
        WC-24
        2009 Dynasty 200DX
        2000 XMT 304
        2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
        Sold:MM130XP
        Sold:MM 251
        Sold:CST 280

at work:
        Invision 350MP
        Dynasty 350
        Millermatic 350P
        Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

Welding Burns?

I worked with a fellow air lancing holes in large diameter shafts. (18" diameter) When I hear this blood curdling scream! A very large blob of molten slag went down between his shirt and bibs and stopped at the base of his **** and burned through his scrotum. He was off work 2 months but fathered another child a few months later. Moral of the story is " I bought leather welding pants the next day, they are very heavy but over head welding on your back, in a hole, they work.
          For small every day burns I use scabs.....

Comment

I used to reference a couple choice words & when it was real bad I'd do a ceremonial dance around the shop, sometimes rapidly kicking off a boot or tugging on the affected area of clothing. Then I'd take a deep breath & resume welding.
            Since switching to TIG I've eliminated most of that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by c wagner View Post
              Hahaha, that statement brought back some memories.
              A shop I worked at hired this "welder", he claimed he was experienced at GMAW and GTAW, not too mention he knew pretty much everything else there was to know... according to him. Anyway it was a warm summer day and he's going to start welding up a project with the upper part of his coveralls tied around his waist. The problem was he's wearing one of those large mesh sports shirts. One of the guys mentioned to him that he should cover up, he assured us it was ok he does this "all the time". Um yeah after welding on and off all day like that he didn't make it in the next day. Apparently his dad went to the hospital with heart problems, being the nice guys we were we thought we'd send some flowers... but none of the hospitals had anyone registered with that name.
              I think he came back to work one day that week and that was pretty much his career with our shop.
              that guy was just plain dumb...

But I doubt that there is any weldor out there who has not gotten a UV burn.... sometime during their career....

TIG welding around shiny Aluminum or Stainless Steel structures are particularly prone to reflect light into areas that otherwise might be considered out of danger...

so you really have to be careful to make sure that all areas are well protected...

One common burn is from light bouncing off the chest under your helmet and sunburning under the chin...

learned my lesson on that 40+ years ago............ having a soft leather flap velcroed onto the bottom lip of the helmet helps to prevent that...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
              Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

UV is An Issue..

I am always amazed when I see those motorcycle and hotrod shows... where they are happily TIG/MIG welding along without protective gear or even gloves....

they may not feel the effects for another 20 or 30 years... then that high intensity UV exposure may start to come home to roost, especially for the fairer complected folks..

It is not enough to dismiss it as a Rookie problem... as any of us could be inadvertantly exposed... that goes for arc flashes to the eyes as well..

interestingly it happens pretty frequently when you have multiple welders working in close proximity..

So we all need to be careful...

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 200

Comment

2 shots of tequila and call me in the morning
                  Ed Conley
                  http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                  MM252
                  MM211
                  Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                  TA185
                  Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                  O/A set
                  SO 2020 Bender
                  You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Some of the old timers , say that the bad burns turn into cancer later in life ?

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                      I am always amazed when I see those motorcycle and hotrod shows... where they are happily TIG/MIG welding along without protective gear or even gloves....
                      That's the truth!!!! You see that every time you watch American Chopper.
                      Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                        Some of the old timers , say that the bad burns turn into cancer later in life ?
                        I knew a couple of old welders that left us because of a type of skin cancer (Melanoma)..

good guys.. they did not leave peacefully... a terrible painful way to go...

thankfully there are fentanyl patches these days to put them in twilight...

here is an article on stage 4

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/stage4-melanoma.html

it is listed as a rare cancer but the incidence is skyrocketing amongst welders, sunbathers and outdoor workers who are exposed to excessive direct sun..where do you think the sunblock panic comes from?? the incidence of all types of skin cancers is on the rise...

This is the reason I put the caution in my posts on this thread..

Here is medical background that explains the relationshiop between UV overexposure and skin cancer...

http://www.skincancer.org/prevention...nd-skin-cancer
                        Last edited by H80N; 06-21-2012, 06:37 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 200

Comment

Silvadine cream is great if you can get it
                          Backed my CATMA over your CARMA
                          OOP"S clumsy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite (new)
                          Jackson EQC master (old)
                          Miller Trail Blazer 302 Air Pak
                          Spectrum 625 Extreme
                          Suitcase 12RC
                          Evolution Rage 3 saw
                          Victor O/A
                          Craftsmen Atlas 12X36 Lathe
                          Half a ton of tooling
                          Rusty old truck

Comment

I will second the suggestion of the silverdine cream. It works great on burns.

Comment

Originally posted by killdozerd11 View Post
                              Silvadine cream is great if you can get it
                              Here is the info on it..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_sulfadiazine

http://www.silvadene.com/

expensive but good stuff when needed... cost and comparison...

http://www.healxmedical.com/Healx%20...son%20Cost.htm

looks like it requires a scrip...

My Blue Stuff:
                              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                              Dynasty 200DX
                              Millermatic 200

Comment

SHH

My ex girlfriend was ER nurse Brought me home a tub of it
                                yes you need a script for it

Kept it in the ice box for a long time it works great and it keeps for a long time too just keep it refrigerated with the lid on tight

Nothing better than putting it on a burn when cold
                                Backed my CATMA over your CARMA
                                OOP"S clumsy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite (new)
                                Jackson EQC master (old)
                                Miller Trail Blazer 302 Air Pak
                                Spectrum 625 Extreme
                                Suitcase 12RC
                                Evolution Rage 3 saw
                                Victor O/A
                                Craftsmen Atlas 12X36 Lathe
                                Half a ton of tooling