Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys use for burns on arms, etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys use for burns on arms, etc?

Any ointments or secret recipes for treating skin burns?
    THanks, I seem to do it a lot. Seems like aluminum is the worse.

CG
    Old Miller Swinger 180 Buzzbox
    Miller Diversion 165
    1945 Craftsman Atlas Lathe
    Smithy Lathe/Mill

Deal with it after awhile you dont notice anymore
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts

Comment

Sunburn gel for the red arms and Prepration H for small burns...Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

burns

tough it out...if you are going to weld you will get burned

Comment

depends on if it is a welding uv burn like sunburn....

if they are fresh UV burns (same day) wet them down with a vinegar rag.... that won't fix it but it will help a lot...

or heat burns like sizzling steel....

for bad ones I squeeze the oil out of some vitamin-E caplets and spread the oil on the burns..... that will pomote healing but will do nothing for pain....

take some time and research burn and sunburn on sites like webmd...

the welding sleeve idea is a good one,,, I wear them all the time TIGging..... but if you are doing stick or wire... invest in some good quality leathers....
          cheap insurance....

I know a few people that died from UV induced Melanoma...

"Toughing it Out" is a stupid option IMHO..... melanoma is a very painful ugly way to die...

different people have different ideas and advice... this was my 2cents worth....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

It's all part of the experience !

Comment

hmm

here's a lil trick that works for me sometimes especially on my hands. i don't know exactly how it works but if you get a typical small burn that would bubble up grab an ice cube fast and rub it back and forth really fast it will hurt like a mother but if done quick enough the bubble wont be as bad and the skin will harden instead if being soft and tearing. i have had them where i just poked and drained and the lil shell basically stayed on till it was healed underneath and peeled off

Comment

I have a big ole Aloe Vera plant i keep right there in my garage just for burns i get. As far as the sunburn from welding Aluminum, i got that once real bad on my neck and arms, man that was agony. I have a long sleeve shirt or i use my sleeves now. That definitely will not happen again. I used Solarcain, i guess that's how you spell it, to help with the pain.
                Guy

Miller Sync 250 DX
                Miller Challenger Mig
                Century/Lincoln 225/140 Buzz Box
                Hypertherm Powermax 30

Comment

Prevention is the key as the others have said in the previous posts. With that being said, wound assessment as to size, depth and location is necessary before the correct treatment can be initiated. Treatment is in large part based on depth. Prevention of infection is key to ensuring proper healing. Slathering a burn wound with home remedies is a crap shoot at best. The key to healing is preventing bacterial and fungal infections. Superficial second degree burns should heal in seven to fourteen days if not infected and an adequate blood supply is available (without any source of infection). Most antibiotic creams will slow the healing rate. When in doubt seek proper attention.
                  Nick

Comment

H80n

Melanoma is not what i was refering to when i said tough it out. Of course when welding always wear long sleeves but sparks are going to get you. I got rained on with sparks making an overhead weld and yeah it hurt but i finished the weld. Grit the teeth and keep that trigger mashed

Comment

Hahaha you guys should pull out your tampons haha
                      The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                        depends on if it is a welding uv burn like sunburn....
                        "Sunburns" is a sign of an amateur. You HAVE to cover up, it's part of the deal with welding. When was the last time you watched a baseball game, and saw a catcher playing without his full protective equipment? No matter how hot it was? Or a hockey game, and the goalie wasn't wearing pads and a mask? They are professionals, and conduct themselves accordingly.

As was mentioned, sparks and molten metal/slag have a way of working their way in; you try to position yourself to minimize it, but sometimes it can't be avoided.

I have found no "off-the-shelf" or home remedy that will do anything for the pain for more than a few seconds.
                        Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, but its not the sunburn. I cover up to prevent that. But I'm talking about when you pick up a piece of hot aluminum or you bump into a hot part or something falls into you lap or shoe, etc and you get an actual contact burn.
                          Long ago, I used a product called Ungentine that worked well. It doesn't seem to be the same stuff today.
                          Thanks for the suggestions.

CG
                          Old Miller Swinger 180 Buzzbox
                          Miller Diversion 165
                          1945 Craftsman Atlas Lathe
                          Smithy Lathe/Mill

Comment

Originally posted by jazond82 View Post
                            Hahaha you guys should pull out your tampons haha

And man up, play with fire you get burned. lol

Comment

What do you guys use for burns on arms, etc?

Sparks and slag is all part of the game.... I've learned when they hit you just freeze and let them fizzle out the worst thing you can do is dance around like an idiot cause then the bb will start rolling.... I don't think I have experianced anything more painfully than a bb in the ear Canal omg wow! When I first broke out welding I was welding a bunch of dual shield .035 on structural pipe I got a bb down the front of my shirt I started dancing and cussing it rolled down my chest burning the whole way then worked its way in my shorts somehow and rolled down my ( oh yeah ) burning it like a Oscar Meyer the whole way .... When it was over I had been burned pretty good and I learned right there to just freeze and let it fizzle out

Comment

Working...
                              X