Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1/16" gas shielded flux core wire on 302 trailblazer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUDDY
    replied
    Thats what I was afraid of JSFAB. I would love to have a Big Blue 400 or 500 so I could run biger wire with better deposition rate, but its not even close to my budget. I dont like straining my 302 with carbon arc carbons either but I love using them!!!!

Leave a comment:

• JSFAB
    replied
    I just looked at Lincoln's tables for it's outershield 71 Elite wire.

Using .045 at 290 amps will give you a deposition rate of 11.4 pounds per hour.

Using 1/16" at 290 amps will give you a deposition rate of 8.8 pounds per hour.

Using the bigger wire with the limited power source actually reduces production.

Leave a comment:

• beamwalker
    replied
    i run 1/16, occasionally off a 302. machine will handle it no problem. i use about 23.5 volts. i normally run .072 wire off one all day long. .072 i use about 27-28 volts but i let 302 cool for while. now we have big blue 500 and it will give me 39 volts at 100% duty cycle which is far more than i need

Leave a comment:

• JSFAB
    replied
    I didn't just "hear",,, I know, It's doable. Only question in mind, is it doable economically?? Unless you have a subsidy from the US government, I doubt it.

Leave a comment:

• MMW
    replied
    I have not done it personally but have heard of several that have without issues.

Leave a comment:

• JSFAB
    replied
    I don't use a 302, but there's no doubt in my mind it'll handle it. I run 1/16 off both my Commander 500s and a Ranger 250, and a Miller 301. You need to check the parameters listed for the particular brand of wire, since you are limited by the output of the 302. I question whether you can actually apply more pounds of weld metal/hour with 1/16" vs. .045, just using a 302 as your power source. Just going bigger, doesn't necessarily mean faster welds, you still gotta deal with the amps available. Almost all info you need is available on the respective wire manufacterer websites.

Leave a comment:

• 1/16" gas shielded flux core wire on 302 trailblazer?

Does anyone run 1/16" gas shielded flux core wire with a trailblazer 302 (kohler gasoline). I was wondering if the trailblazer 302 can handle it. I would be using a 12RC wire feeder and argon/co2 gas. I am currently running .045" wire but I want to be able to use 1/16" for bigger stuff.
Working...
X