New Welder From ESAB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Welder From ESAB

ESAB Miniarc 161LTS, Stick Package for $500.00 Stick Tig for $700.00 the specs look almost the same as the Maxstar 150 STL but a tiny bit better and 10 amps more output. All the same features but less than half the price. I am looking for an engine drive and suitcase to expand my side work, but this almost looks to good to be true any opinions or comments i'm just curious. I'm my 03 Maxstar ever dies I might consider this bad boy as a replacement.
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
    Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
    Stihl TS 420

[email protected]

Well I can't say what ESAB's are like, I've only welded with Miller and Hobart but I checked it out online and I think its a pretty good deal for the price. The only thing I don't like about it is that it does not have alternating current or pulse tig capability but I guess you can't expect that out of a machine at that price. If it suits your needs I'd say go for it but that's my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Rezeppa View Post
      ESAB Miniarc 161LTS, Stick Package for $500.00 Stick Tig for $700.00 the specs look almost the same as the Maxstar 150 STL but a tiny bit better and 10 amps more output. All the same features but less than half the price. I am looking for an engine drive and suitcase to expand my side work, but this almost looks to good to be true any opinions or comments i'm just curious. I'm my 03 Maxstar ever dies I might consider this bad boy as a replacement.
      Isn't that one of their new CHINESE machines???

they have been forming partnerships with companies in "The Peoples Republic of China"(AKA Red China) the last few years so I would make darned sure I knew where it was made before I got too very excited....

Their US distribution point is in Florence, SC..... but an awful lot of their stuff is made offshore... some welders from Poland too..from what I have been told..

In any event a DC only Lift arc tig , with no pulse capability... at those prices... does not look like much of a bargain...... there is a lot of competition on the low end where this no frills machine will fit.... I would look around and compare prices and features.... you might be surprised...

You might take a Really close look at the duty cycle.... nothing to write home about there...

http://www.bakersgas.com/ESA0558101694.html
      Last edited by H80N; 06-02-2012, 06:24 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I am not in the market for another small welder but it looks like a good deal compaired to any other welder made by the big three but if it's made in china like the thermadyne products its nothing to write home about. I know cruzer speaks poorly about the never ESAB but my prior use of my old L-Tec 250 was so amazing I was hoping more like the Maxstar than anything else, but if a deal is to good to be true it must be to good to be true. I love my Maxstar 150 the ultimate portability and it has paid for its self over 75 times.
        Last edited by Rezeppa; 06-03-2012, 08:28 AM.
        Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
        Maxstar 150STL
        Metabos
        Stihl TS 420

[email protected]

Comment

Wow I did take another look at the duty cycles between miller and this new 161 and there is a pretty significant difference on the EASB. Thanks for your reply.
          Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
          Maxstar 150STL
          Metabos
          Stihl TS 420

[email protected]

Comment

I have a tried and true and safe formula for new products.

I let OTHER PEOPLE buy them with THEIR money first.

There is no downside to this method.

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
              Isn't that one of their new CHINESE machines???
              So where was your cell-phone made???? Where was your TV made? Did you pay extra to get an AMERICAN cell phone or TV??? Is there even such a thing as an American TV or cell-phone? Did you even give any thought to the origin, or were you just blindsided by all the cool features, just bought the thing?

Where something is made isn't so important, it's who did the engineering and who's overseeing the manufacturing.
              Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Last I heard we were talking welders NOT cellphones or TV sets.....

You bet...... where my professional tools are made is a major factor in my purchasing decisions.... what others do is their own decision....

BTW my welders are U.S. made and engineered..... majority of which are blue....

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 200

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                  Last I heard we were talking welders NOT cellphones or TV sets.....

You bet...... where my professional tools are made is a major factor in my purchasing decisions.... what others do is their own decision....

BTW my welders are U.S. made and engineered..... majority of which are blue....

who cares; go back to the barn you old relic and nothing else to drink. red china. lolololol

Comment

Originally posted by fdcmiami View Post
                    who cares; go back to the barn you old relic and nothing else to drink. red china. lolololol
                    age and experience are not a handicap, they are an advantage.....

now ignorance... that is a different matter entirely....

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 200

Comment

Omg I have been lost and now im found. Anyone want to trade their new cresent brand adjustable wrenches that are made in china for my older made American ones... No because even though the quality control has been put in place they are an inferior product. In my experiance the old American made tools hold up better than the ones now being made in china. When im working for U.S. Steel in the blast furnace when my China pipe wrench breaks and I have to search high and low for yet another replacement dont I wish I bought the American made ridged in the first place. My time is worth the money. My Maxstar 150 U.S. Made from 03 still welds like the day i got it. I am so pleased I didnt buy the red invertec made in Italy known for breaking after not being able to switch from 110 back to 220. I have faith, pride, and confindence in my American Products.
                      Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
                      Maxstar 150STL
                      Metabos
                      Stihl TS 420

[email protected]

Comment

Rezeppa

As we looked at previously…. The country of origin is just one of the factors to consider when choosing a welder….. but given the history of reliability problems associated with Chinese made welders… one might take that as one factor when making your choice….

Be aware that fdcmiami has been a strong advocate of Chinese welders, Everlast in particular….. and gets quite upset if somebody points out that a machine might be Chinese… gets downright excited… he does..

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 200

Comment

my prior use of my old L-Tec 250 was so amazing
                          No relation to the new ESABs, and neither is my later Migmaster 250, which I bought after knowing they had done well for many years.

Trying unproven new machines is a fine idea for people with money to throw away and I encourage them to go for it.

I don't care where it's made. Never be a "beta tester" unless it's free or you get paid to do it.

Comment

Working...
                          X