Tig Torch Recommendations for Dynasty 350

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig Torch Recommendations for Dynasty 350

I need to purchase a TIG torch, and would most appreciate learning of your preferences. It will be powered by a Dynasty 350 (single phase input with a water cooler), and used to weld all thicknesses up to 3/8" ... of mild steel, 316ss, and 6061 aluminum.

Weldcraft and CK are the two I have investigated, but there must be others. From my limited research, I find that:

- water cooled is the way to go (smaller, cooler and lighter)
    - smaller torch heads get into tighter places, but can carry less amperage
    - CK makes a series 20 than handles 300 amps (smallish yet powerful)

I most certainly appreciate your advice, if you have time.

I have a Weldcraft CS310 25ft on my Dynasty 350 Tigrunner.... it is the size of a HW20 but handles the amperage of th Dyn 350..... have been very happy with it for about the last 5 years...

http://www.weldcraft.com/products/cr...-water-cooled/

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

My favorite

WP20 series with 25ft cables.

Even if the power handling isn't as high, is nice to have such a small package. The cs310 series uses the same consumables. one of the big differences is cables. I like flexible, even if a bit rubbery. CK seems to have nice cables.

Last thing to consider-flex head. I don t have one but I can see where it could be an advantage.
      Con Fuse!
      Miller Dynasty 350
      Millermatic 350P
      -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
      Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
      Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that the "rubbery" feel of the hoses on the Crafter series torches like the CS310 remain flexible in cold weather... while the black vinyl/pvc hoses on standard HW torches get very stiff when cold... the black hoses are much more prone to damage from abuse as well....

BTW the rubber hoses are available from other torch makes besides Weldcraft as an added cost option.... they are worth having...
        (I have machines with both types and prefer the rubber)

as an added observation... I would consider a water cooled torch as the only practical option to be able to utilize the full range of the Dynasty 350 output.... an air cooled torch that could carry that amperage would be big enough to be mistaken for a ball bat.....
        Last edited by H80N; 05-22-2012, 06:14 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 200

Comment

Everyone will have their own torch preferences, depending on what they've used in the past.

I used Weldcraft torches for years and had good service from them. A few years back, I bought my first WeldTec torch. A heavy duty, 20 series torch that is rated for up to 300A. I liked the way the rubber hoses attached to the torch, using compression nuts vs the tie wires used on the Weldcraft.

Since my first torch from WeldTec, I've added to the collection. I now use their premium series (Speedway 320 by WeldTec). Like the shape of the handle, will handle 320A, and a 5/32" tungsten (most 20 series torches are limited to 1/8").

Worth a trip to their website and download the Speedway flyer.
          Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200 DX
          Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
          Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
          Hobart HH187
          Dialarc 250 AC/DC
          Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
          Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
          PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
          Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
          Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
          More grinders than hands

Comment

WeldTec builds an excellent torch as well.... it really boils down to personal preference....

My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 200

Comment

Two Torches

If you have some money to burn, buy a small 200 amp and a 300 amp torch and hook them both up, with a "Y" adapter for the torch gas switching between them is fast and easy. Just be sure the one your not using is wound up safely away from your ground.
              Richard
              West coast of Florida

Comment

Hay dogman I also have a weldcraft torch and I love it. You should also try the pyrex cup, they are great. Alot of vizability with that clear cup. Please let us know what you did.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltbadd View Post
                  If you have some money to burn, buy a small 200 amp and a 300 amp torch and hook them both up, with a "Y" adapter for the torch gas switching between them is fast and easy. Just be sure the one your not using is wound up safely away from your ground.
                  In the CK line, from smaller to larger, I list the below the CK water-cooled torches, which are handled by the LWS. CK tech support recommended the CK230 as a do-all for the Dynastry350, as it was smaller yet could handle 300amps ... but upon inspection, the CK230 handle seemed bulky when compared to the much more slender handle of the CK200.

CK180 - 180 amp ... uses series 9 consumables
                  CK200 - 250 amp ... uses series 2 consumables
                  CK230 - 300 amp ... uses series 2 consumables but larger handle/cables
                  CK300 - 350 amp ... uses series 3 consumables
                  TL300 - 350 amp ... uses series 3 consumables but with slightly smaller handle

If I went with two torches, two questions, which two would you recommend?

The dual torch setup ... does that mean both torches are electrically connected, both are cooler connected, and the only toggling is the gas input? Perhaps you know of a diagram of such a setup? Switching between dual torches in this manner seems very efficent.

Comment

What are you doing that you would need to switch torches at a moments notice????? seems like a lot of trouble to go through for something that you probably do not need often.... my Dyn 350 has served well with just the CS310 for about 5 years now for about 95percent of the time... if something specialized comes up where I might need a pencil or micro... I just change out torches.... have you priced out TIG torch switch boxes??? like the Versa-Tig??

http://versa-tig.com/

pricing... hang on to your sweet-meats

http://versa-tig.com/ecommerce/os/catalog/

pretty steep unless you REALLY need it... it is pretty slick but at $1800-2600 more???

Click image for larger version

Name:	versatig_fullrig_800px.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	512751

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 200

Comment

Originally posted by Ltbadd View Post
                      there are a few reasons why having 2 hot torches hung off the side of your machine is an impractacle, unsafe and generally bad idea.... think about it... how often do you see it done?? pretty much never??

GAS...WATER....HF....CURRENT...???

and besides the 200 amp and 300 amp torches tend to use 9/20 consumables and be about the same size... so why???
                      Last edited by H80N; 05-24-2012, 09:36 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 200

Comment

This whole discussion just points out how far OFF BASE some posters can get in response to a basic simple question.

First off, read the OP's previous posts. They're very limited. First signed on in 2008 with questions about an Aerowave. Then we have a huge "time lapse". Then he reappears asking about an electrical setup for his new Dynasty 350.

Guys, if he was an experienced tigger, who may (???) have a need for more than one torch, he'd ALREADY know what worked for him.

The OP just needs to buy A TORCH setup that works for him and learn how to use it. All this BS discussion about multiple torch setups is just that, BS.

PS. If you read the discussion about "power setup", you'll see that the OP is already "all over the place" and this discussion is just confusing the issue.
                        Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200 DX
                        Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                        Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                        Hobart HH187
                        Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                        Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                        Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                        PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                        Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                        Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                        More grinders than hands

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
                          This whole discussion just points out how far OFF BASE some posters can get in response to a basic simple question.

First off, read the OP's previous posts. They're very limited. First signed on in 2008 with questions about an Aerowave. Then we have a huge "time lapse". Then he reappears asking about an electrical setup for his new Dynasty 350.

Guys, if he was an experienced tigger, who may (???) have a need for more than one torch, he'd ALREADY know what worked for him.

The OP just needs to buy A TORCH setup that works for him and learn how to use it. All this BS discussion about multiple torch setups is just that, BS.

PS. If you read the discussion about "power setup", you'll see that the OP is already "all over the place" and this discussion is just confusing the issue.
                          I am without a doubt a TIG newbie, and did pass on an Aerowave 300 in 2008, though I seriously considered it. In hindsight, I am glad I passed on it, as a used 350 crossed my path very recently.

I consider myself smart enough to respect electricity, and take little for granted. Thank you everyone for that support already provided.

Regarding a torch selection, my question distills down to this: Is the CK20 torch, or the CK230 torch, a better 'one torch' solution? CK230 is simply a little bulkier in the handle, and would seem more tiring to grasp. But the CK230 can handle all the 350 output, so I am told.

I was set on the CK230, until I compared it side-by-side to the CK200. Leaning toward the CK230 at this time ... with the flexible cables in either case.

Comment

For what it is worth.... the Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner comes standard from the factory with the Weldcraft CS310.... and many thousands of users have been pretty happy with that as a "One Torch" solution for the last several years...
                            I think that if you were to put a CS310 next to a standard 9 or 20 series torch.... you would not find substantial size difference... they do share the same cups, collets and consumables... after all....

Just so you have a point of reference as to what many of them are running and what Miller considers a good match to the machines capabilities... my guess is that the Ck equiv would work just as well.....
                            But I am curious as to why you have narrowed down to CK though??
                            Last edited by H80N; 05-24-2012, 01:15 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 200

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                              For what it is worth.... the Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner comes standard from the factory with the Weldcraft CS310.... and many thousands of users have been pretty happy with that as a "One Torch" solution for the last several years...
                              I think that if you were to put a CS310 next to a standard 9 or 20 series torch.... you would not find substantial size difference... they do share the same cups, collets and consumables... after all....

Just so you have a point of reference as to what many of them are running and what Miller considers a good match to the machines capabilities... my guess is that the Ck equiv would work just as well.....
                              But I am curious as to why you have narrowed down to CK though??
                              Essentially, the LWS advised me that the CK torches were every bit the equal of the Weldcraft line, but were less expensive, and were produced in my geographic neighborhood. So I contacted CK and read their website, and was impressed with what I learned.

Perhaps the most compelling feature about the CK230 torch is the more extensive cooling path around the torch head, when compared to competitor brands, which included Weldcraft. The CK230 torch is rated at 300 amps at 100% duty cycle, whereas the CS310 is rated at 235 amps at 100% duty cycle.

Bottom line: Both these torches would serve my purposes well. I just need to make a decision.

Comment

Working...
                              X