MIG welding aluminum troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIG welding aluminum troubles

Hello yall, Im trying to mig weld aluminum with my 211 and Spoolmate 100. Its my first time doing so and I am having issues. Im using .030 aluminum alloy wire and 100% argon. The flow gauge being used is the Smith unit that came with the 211, with a gas CFM rate of approx 25. The wire feed tension is set up properly and correct .030 tips are being used. I was running some test beads on 1/8" flat aluminum plate. The problem I am having, and this has happened 3 times now when Im welding, the .030 wire feed tip is melting. Im wondering if I might not be using the right stick out length. But Im not really sure. If anyone can give my any tips I would appreciate it. Thanks.
    Lone MIG Slinger!

More stick out and push the weld
    Turn it up and get moving
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Don't you mean cfh?
      Nick
      Miller 252 Mig
      Miller Cricket XL
      Millermatic 150 Mig
      Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
      2-O/A outfits
      Jet Lathe and Mill
      Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
      DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
      Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
      20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
      Propane Forge
      60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
      Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
      and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

You said it, TIPS thats the problem. As always i have a different answer to your tip melting and a way to correct it ...Bob
        Bob Wright

Comment

Boomer that happens to me when my wire speed is too slow. I have mm210 w/ spoolgun and when it starts burning my tip it is usualy my wire feed is too slow. Try bumping it up alittle hope that works for you.

Comment

Try turning the wire speed up past where you think it should be & then back it down as needed. Less burned tips.

Also Bob's fix works good I've heard.
            MM250
            Trailblazer 250g
            22a feeder
            Lincoln ac/dc 225
            Victor O/A
            MM200 black face
            Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
            Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
            Arco roto-phase model M
            Vectrax 7x12 band saw
            Miller spectrum 875
            30a spoolgun w/wc-24
            Syncrowave 250
            RCCS-14

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post

Also Bob's fix works good I've heard.
              52 conversions so far and got another one yesterday...Bob
              Bob Wright

Comment

OK Bob, if your fix is so good, then why don't you lay it out or post a link to it perhaps. It does me no good to hear talk with out facts, do you get what I'm getting at here?
                Lone MIG Slinger!

Comment

hmm

try 035 tips with 030 wire or bobs thing pm him i think hes trying to avoid spamming

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer8404 View Post
                    OK Bob, if your fix is so good, then why don't you lay it out or post a link to it perhaps. It does me no good to hear talk with out facts, do you get what I'm getting at here?
                    Pics here>>> http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48
                    Do you have a buddy with a metal lathe? Just cut 1/6" off the standard spool gun copper barrel tube and redrill and rethread 1/4-28 for a standard Miller mig gun tip. Been 6 + years and my problems were solved. I can do it for you if you want to send me your barrel...Bob
                    Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer8404 View Post
                      OK Bob, if your fix is so good, then why don't you lay it out
                      Its better than good. I just can't figure out why the Chinese didn't copy it since they make the guns oh i forgot they sell the high dollar tips too ...Bob
                      Bob Wright

Comment

I believe I am that "...another one yesterday..." that aametalmaster referred to earlier.

As I explained to Mr Wright, I am a lurker who appreciates his input on this (and other) boards. I could have used his instructions to have a barrel modified locally, but that really does him no good, does it?

A proper thanks is actually returning something in kind, so I decided to send him my barrel and some cash - a small token of appreciation for not only his kindness, but his effort to help those who need it (yes, me too.)

I PM'd Mr Wright beforehand, and he was quick to respond and quite personable. I will confidently support any other member who thinks the same way I did.

Safe trips,
                        Dave

Comment

Thank you all very much for the tips, they are very much appreciated. Ive gotta run by the local welding supply shop to get some more tips.

Also, to Bob. I really do appreciate the link and instruction. I do happen to have an old Atlas Craftsman lathe setting out in my garage and might just have to pull the gun apart and trim the barrel. Thank you again.
                          Lone MIG Slinger!

Comment

Big tips....

Check out the large tips from Pro Fax....Around 5/16 " OD ...They last a long time. I have adapted them to miller and MK spool guns....Keep your speed up.. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by bayweld View Post
                              Check out the large tips from Pro Fax....Around 5/16 " OD ...They last a long time. I have adapted them to miller and MK spool guns....Keep your speed up.. Good Luck
                              I think those only fit the bigger spool guns. The spool mate 185, 3035, and 100 take the small thread tips and thats the problem. I worked with a tip company in Canada on building some bigger dia tips with the small thread but they were too costly. Well they were what i pay for a normal tip that why i went the route i did and modified the barrel. I didn't need to stock 6 different tips, now i stock 2. .024 and .030...Bob
                              Bob Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X