Cast aluminum snowmobile block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast aluminum snowmobile block

This is a rare one , talked to a gentleman about welding two snowobile blocks together turning two twin motors into a triple. I have no idea why but need to accomplish it. Everytime i have had a structural cast aluminum repair fails everytime i cant ever get the repair to handle the stress load how can i improve my skills to pull this one off being its an engine block cast aluminum connecting two together to handle the heat and stress this or any block goes through? Anyone know?
    Thanks

Sounds good on paper but i wouldn't try it. Sounds like a big headache for the weldor...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

We have welded crankcases where the rod popped a hole in the bottom before. Have also welded recoil housing back together after pieces flew around but have never married 2 cases together. Have seen it done but not by me. Alignment is critical. Also need a good baseplte to stop things from flexing. I kinda agree with Bob on this one & could be a big headache.
      252 Miller Mig
      180 Synchrowave
      R - 45 Milling Machine
      Kingston 1100 Lathe
      Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

Comment

I too have seen it done, you have to completely dismantle the works, align them perfectly to weld, and line bore the cylinders afterwards. Seems like quite the nightmare. Would be much simpler and cost effective to just get a bigger engine.

Comment

seems like an awful lot of work to me....
          Bobcat 225NT
          Cutmaster 52
          Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
          Caterpillar TH63
          '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Cast aluminum snowmobile block

Cruizer, your right about it just being easier and cheaper to buy, that is if you could. Triples and quads cylinders are a thing of the past. The trend now for sleds is to keep them light and improve ride so all 2 strokes are twin cylinders only up to 800cc. No more muscle sleds unless you want a four stroke turbo that comes with all the extra weight over a 2 stroke. The long and short story of it is, If you want anything over 1000cc you or someone else has to build it
            Last edited by Manisoba; 05-19-2012, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Triple motors around Wisconsin are a dime a dozen. No one wants them any more.

Comment

Originally posted by kevhead63 View Post
                Triple motors around Wisconsin are a dime a dozen. No one wants them any more.
                Obviously you've never raced then...

Comment

Working...
                X