no more helium??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no more helium??

i went to pay on my account today at the lws and was told they might stop selling helium something about the supplyers has anyone else heard anything about this? this would really put a damper on my stainles steel work for sure . could be just a rumor of maybe not.

some smaller LWS's just can't cover the huge increase in the price of H. i asked my LWS about it.. good luck getting balloons filled
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

Comment

Originally posted by tommy2069 View Post
      i went to pay on my account today at the lws and was told they might stop selling helium something about the supplyers has anyone else heard anything about this? this would really put a damper on my stainles steel work for sure . could be just a rumor of maybe not.
      Is your LWS Airgas?
      Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
      3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
      Miller Dynasty200DX
      ThermalArc 400 GTSW
      MillerMatic350P
      MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
      MKCobraMig260
      Lincoln SP-170T
      Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
      Hypertherm 1250
      Hypertherm 800
      PlasmaCam CNC cutter
      Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
      SiberHegner CNC Mill
      2 ea. Bridgeport
      LeBlond 15" Lathe
      Haberle 18" Cold Saw
      Doringer 14" Cold Saw
      6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

My supplier told me over two months ago that he simply couldn't get it because there was NONE to be had in the US. I thought he was just Bull ****ting me and since my Dynasty350 has enough balls to not require any fore the things I weld I wasn't too concerned.. Looks like he was shooting me strait.. Hmm

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner12R View Post
          My supplier told me over two months ago that he simply couldn't get it because there was NONE to be had in the US. I thought he was just Bull ****ting me and since my Dynasty350 has enough balls to not require any fore the things I weld I wasn't too concerned.. Looks like he was shooting me strait.. Hmm
          Here is a little broader perspective on this situation and an interesting outlook…

this first one has a number of embedded hotlinks that are pretty informative... and IMHO worth reading...

http://fthats.wordpress.com/2012/01/...-2012-edition/

Helium being a recoverable byproduct of natural gas wells…. Would make one think since natural gas exploration and production is reaching an all time high…… maybe there is no real shortage..

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/o...articles/doh02

Change in production outlook…. From byproduct to primary product….

http://rigzone.com/news/article.asp?a_id=112735

thought you might find this stuff interesting….

Some folks will never allow a few facts to interrupt a good panic….
          Last edited by H80N; 05-18-2012, 11:28 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Very interesting links; just scanned 'em quick, but will read them later.

The part about selling off the national helium reserve really hacks me off. Congressmen always loved to point at the helium reserve (which has no lobby) as the prototypical example of government waste . . . while quietly voting in enormously larger pork projects that always have lots of lobbyists and campaign funds and votes attached. Flag-wavers are always telling us how this is the greatest country in the world (not that they have ever been anywhere, outside of maybe a drunken week of R and R in Bangkok when they were 20 years old), and maybe it is but the operation of our Congress is blatantly corrupt. Anyway, it seems to me the country ought to maintain strategic reserves of not only helium, petroleum, and uranium, but everything that we might need if we got in a jam. Sure it will cost something, but we maintain a huge military establishment already, and having strategic reserves of industrial materials, foodstuffs, etc., are certainly in the interest of the national security which Congress is constitutionally charged to maintain. It's a basic survivalist principle; were none of those people ever Boy Scouts ("BE PREPARED")? (End rant).

I read that in North Dakota they are flaring off the gas because they haven't yet made provision for capturing/storing/transporting it. What a waste of an irreplaceable resource!
            Last edited by old jupiter; 05-18-2012, 01:11 PM.

Comment

And besides a good scare story can often be used to justify a radical price increase....HHHMMMMmmm... think about it...

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 200

Comment

I don't think its a rumor. The shielding gas suppliers in my area discourage the use of helium, only a few in my area still actually sell it. When I asked them why they said that there's only 200 yrs worth of helium left on Earth and they use helium for a lot of stuff other than shielding gas, so they want people to stop using it for shielding gas. I guess we're going to have to get it from outer space in the future.

Comment

They don't want to stop using it for shielding gas, but balloons etc are a total waste.

Cylinder gas providers need helium for mixed gas, and many don't service new accounts.

Medical uses such as MRIs of course have priority.

The Helium Privatisation Act is yet another symptom of the desire by business to destroy government to make greater profit while pretending they are for the virtues of a free market.

Strategic reserves were an obvious idea during the Cold War, but since the Commies turned into Capitalists and joined the team, the Capitalists who run the US are back to putting themselves before their own country.

Comment

no my supllyer is nws they ahev been pretty good and can get anything i want when i ask for it but they just recently told me abut this doa any of you know of a substitute for tri mix for stain less???
                    Originally posted by shovelon View Post
                    Is your LWS Airgas?

Comment

no my supllyer is nws they ahev been pretty good and can get anything i want when i ask for it but they just recently told me abut this doa any of you know of a substitute for tri mix for stain less???
                      Why don't you try 98AR/2Co2, commonly called stainmix?
                      Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
                      3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
                      Miller Dynasty200DX
                      ThermalArc 400 GTSW
                      MillerMatic350P
                      MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
                      MKCobraMig260
                      Lincoln SP-170T
                      Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
                      Hypertherm 1250
                      Hypertherm 800
                      PlasmaCam CNC cutter
                      Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
                      SiberHegner CNC Mill
                      2 ea. Bridgeport
                      LeBlond 15" Lathe
                      Haberle 18" Cold Saw
                      Doringer 14" Cold Saw
                      6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

Originally posted by 1930case View Post
                        The Helium Privatisation Act is yet another symptom of the desire by business to destroy government to make greater profit while pretending they are for the virtues of a free market.

Strategic reserves were an obvious idea during the Cold War, but since the Commies turned into Capitalists and joined the team, the Capitalists who run the US are back to putting themselves before their own country.
                        They aren't capitalists, Case. They are corporatists. Their motivation in life is to get every advantage they can from government while maximizing their stock price so that they can retire with gigantic personal windfalls, having off-shored and out-sourced the jobs of their workers (all the time proclaiming that, "Our employees are our most valuable asset!). The REAL capitalists are right here on this forum, running shops and trucks, and trying to avoid being screwed by the system.

Unfortunately, having only 200 years of helium left sounds like forever to people in this short-sighted culture. So fill all the party balloons you want, and to h--- with anybody who follows us.

Comment

Originally posted by old jupiter View Post
                          They aren't capitalists, Case. They are corporatists. Their motivation in life is to get every advantage they can from government while maximizing their stock price so that they can retire with gigantic personal windfalls, having off-shored and out-sourced the jobs of their workers (all the time proclaiming that, "Our employees are our most valuable asset!). The REAL capitalists are right here on this forum, running shops and trucks, and trying to avoid being screwed by the system.

Unfortunately, having only 200 years of helium left sounds like forever to people in this short-sighted culture. So fill all the party balloons you want, and to h--- with anybody who follows us.
                          Yawn.... Really??

in 200 years we will be mining helium on the Sun.... it is nearly 25 percent helium..... and besides we actually have no way of knowing at this time what the real helium reserves on earth are....considering that it is harvested as a byproduct of natural gas production... and that we are experiencing the greatest period of exploration and production of natural gas in human history.... natural gas can contain as much as 7percent helium, it is separated by the fractional distillation process...

but.... I am re assured that chicken little is not dead after all......

Here is a link confirming the Sun's helium content...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun

BTW... Helium being an inert gas is a recyclable resource .... using the liquid air process... it just needs to become economicaly feasable... nothing happens to it... that is why it is classed as inert... it can be recycled over and over forever.....

BBTW.... there are serious proposals out there right now to mine helium on the moon....
                          Last edited by H80N; 05-20-2012, 09:51 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          Millermatic 200

Comment

X2 for Shovelon and the StainMix. Go to Ed Craig's Welding Reality site and you can read his opinion that StainMix, which he developed, is superior to the mostly-helium stainless tri-mixes.
                            He does say that for doing aluminum-MIG over 1/4", a 60/40 Argon/Helium mix is best.

(What follows is continued editorializing in answer to our esteemed "H80N", and may be best ignored).

When I was in college in the '60s, undersea mining of ferro-manganese nodules, which lie about on the sea floor like potatos waiting to be gathered up, was spoken of as being right around the corner by the same Popular Science seers that now tell us how we're going to mine the sun, the moon, Mars, asteroids, . . . (yawn). Why aren't there fleets of ocean mining ships forty five years later? Because market prices do not yet justify it.

Odds suggest that there is other life in the universe, even other intelligent life, even life more intelligent than we are (not difficult in my case!), and more technically capable. So why haven't real aliens come to visit us? Economics!
                            Space travel is absurdly uneconomical. And if we can't economically justify the sea-mining of manganese nodules yet, space mining will be astronomically more expensive.

Eventually we'll have to do all of the above, if the ten billion of us still insist on living in modern technological ways. Even though we get better at pulling a few more goodies out of played-out holes, and at making new holes in inconveniently-expensive locales in sub-arctic realms and miles under the ocean, more and more of us insist on using our share of the goodies. So certainly you are right. When we have sucked out so much of the goodies that their scarcity and market value justify mining in outer space, some future generation will have to begin doing that.

Lucky them! Or maybe they will feel rather like we do when we regard the disappearance of the Grand Banks codfish runs or the Pacific Coast salmon runs, or the ever-dropping Oglalla Aquifer and Colorado River, or any kind of decent tight-grained, knot-free wood, or just a whole lot of other things we could name.

I'm a conservative, an old-style one, not one of the current frauds calling themselves conservative, and conservatives of the Fifties believed in . . . conservation, of natural resources and other desireables. Therefore, I'd like to see helium conserved, not just blown off into the air, before it gets so expensive that we have to send tankers to the sun to get more of it.
                            Last edited by old jupiter; 05-21-2012, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by old jupiter View Post

When I was in college in the '60s, undersea mining of ferro-manganese nodules, which lie about on the sea floor like potatos waiting to be gathered up, was spoken of as being right around the corner by the same Popular Science seers that now tell us how we're going to mine the sun, the moon, Mars, asteroids, . . . (yawn). Why aren't there fleets of ocean mining ships forty five years later? Because market prices do not yet justify it.
                              Yeah, and I can remember coming of age in the '70's, if I recall correctly the earth was going to become completely out of oil in 10 years.

This was from the smartest, most respected scientists at the time. Thank God we had a few dumb scientists and engineers who didn't listen.
                              Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Working...
                              X