Gas Question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Question??

AIRGAS high purity Argon (or so they say). The problem I'm having is the last 500 lbs. of the bottled seems to be dirty. Welds don't seem to be a clean and the tip of my tungsten is discolored and kind of hairy looking at the tip. I've had bad gas before but the top half of the bottle seems to be ok. Dynasty 350 DC welding 2% ceriated tung. on stainless and this has happened with more than one bottle.

Not sure what your question is. I'd return the bottle to the supplier with your complaint.
    Richard
    West coast of Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Ltbadd View Post
      Not sure what your question is. I'd return the bottle to the supplier with your complaint.

Why would the first 1700 psi be good and the rest not?? We cannot switch suppliers as we are under contract.

Comment

Originally posted by corbyndad View Post
        Why would the first 1700 psi be good and the rest not?? We cannot switch suppliers as we are under contract.
        You might want to check your gas flow. As the bottle pressure goes down the output pressure goes up as the regulator tries to compensate. You could be flowing way too much gas and dragging air into the gas stream.
        Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
        3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
        Miller Dynasty200DX
        ThermalArc 400 GTSW
        MillerMatic350P
        MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
        MKCobraMig260
        Lincoln SP-170T
        Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
        Hypertherm 1250
        Hypertherm 800
        PlasmaCam CNC cutter
        Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
        SiberHegner CNC Mill
        2 ea. Bridgeport
        LeBlond 15" Lathe
        Haberle 18" Cold Saw
        Doringer 14" Cold Saw
        6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

Originally posted by shovelon View Post
          You might want to check your gas flow. As the bottle pressure goes down the output pressure goes up as the regulator tries to compensate. You could be flowing way too much gas and dragging air into the gas stream.
          The flow ball is hanging out just under 20. That should be an accurate reading right?I'm using a gas lens and number 6 cup and have good luck til it gets below 500 psi. Bad regulator maybe??

Comment

The flow ball is hanging out just under 20. That should be an accurate reading right?I'm using a gas lens and number 6 cup and have good luck til it gets below 500 psi. Bad regulator maybe??
            Well usually the flow gauge is pretty accurate. That is strange. Does the weld clean up if you set at 15cfh? 20 for a #6 seems a bit high to me. I use a #8 at that flow.

Is there any obstruction on you screen?

Miller Dynasty700DX
            Miller Dynasty200DX
            ThermalArc 400 GTSW
            MillerMatic350P
            MKCobraMig260
            Lincoln SP-170T
            Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
            Hypertherm 1250
            Hypertherm 800
            PlasmaCam CNC cutter
            Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
            SiberHegner CNC Mill
            2 ea. Bridgeport
            LeBlond 15" Lathe
            Haberle 18" Cold Saw
            Doringer 14" Cold Saw

Comment

Originally posted by shovelon View Post
              Well usually the flow gauge is pretty accurate. That is strange. Does the weld clean up if you set at 15cfh? 20 for a #6 seems a bit high to me. I use a #8 at that flow.

Is there any obstruction on you screen?
              Gas lens is new. Turned down the flow. Same result. Changed bottles and good to go. IDK!!

Comment

Gas lens is new. Turned down the flow. Same result. Changed bottles and good to go. IDK!!
                That is so strange.

I guess you should notify Airgas. Yes, my beloved Airgas.

Miller Dynasty700DX
                Miller Dynasty200DX
                ThermalArc 400 GTSW
                MillerMatic350P
                MKCobraMig260
                Lincoln SP-170T
                Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
                Hypertherm 1250
                Hypertherm 800
                PlasmaCam CNC cutter
                Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
                SiberHegner CNC Mill
                2 ea. Bridgeport
                LeBlond 15" Lathe
                Haberle 18" Cold Saw
                Doringer 14" Cold Saw

Comment

When did this start? What changed? Certainly this is a new problem? Since you are under contract, it would be in their best interest to help resolve this, IMO. At least try.
                  Richard
                  West coast of Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Ltbadd View Post
                    When did this start? What changed? Certainly this is a new problem? Since you are under contract, it would be in their best interest to help resolve this, IMO. At least try.
                    We've delt with bad gas from them for years. They are more than willing to replace the bottle with a new one but it gets really old running back and forth from the bottle cage to switch out bottles. We used to run their industrial grade and it was never right we just delt with it and later they switched us to high purity and it was better but now this. They claim we are the only ones in the area having problems. Just a really poor supplier a least here in Kansas.

Comment

We've delt with bad gas from them for years. They are more than willing to replace the bottle with a new one but it gets really old running back and forth from the bottle cage to switch out bottles. We used to run their industrial grade and it was never right we just delt with it and later they switched us to high purity and it was better but now this. They claim we are the only ones in the area having problems. Just a really poor supplier a least here in Kansas.
                      I have encountered 4 (four) bottles that caused problems with under 500 psi left in the bottle. The welds on mild steel all appeared ok but would cause "pepper specks" in aluminum and would not weld thin gauge aluminum at all.

The first bottle caused me lots of problems untill I switched bottle. The next time I saw this I recognized the problem immediately, returned the bottle to the supplier and insisted they test the remaining gas. They reluctantly agreed but made it right when the test results showed moisture, oxygen, and something else which I cannot remember at this time.

None of these four bottles were tried on stainless.

Griff

Comment

Originally posted by griff01 View Post
                        I have encountered 4 (four) bottles that caused problems with under 500 psi left in the bottle. The welds on mild steel all appeared ok but would cause "pepper specks" in aluminum and would not weld thin gauge aluminum at all.

The first bottle caused me lots of problems untill I switched bottle. The next time I saw this I recognized the problem immediately, returned the bottle to the supplier and insisted they test the remaining gas. They reluctantly agreed but made it right when the test results showed moisture, oxygen, and something else which I cannot remember at this time.

None of these four bottles were tried on stainless.

Griff
                        Thanks for sharing your experience Griff. Now I know that I'm not totally nuts!

Comment

Moisture?

I'm wondering if moisture is not the culprit. Gasses usually mix pretty well. Any liquid wouldn't. Drop the pressure and the liquid might start to gas (water has a vapor pressure).
                          Just a thought.
                          Con Fuse!
                          Miller Dynasty 350
                          Millermatic 350P
                          -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
                          Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
                          Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

Working...
                          X