Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad welds on a Sign...

This Thread is a little off topic.....
    I was working out of town today just got done eating, walked out side the truck stop to smoke. I personaly as a weldor look at every weld I see, every piece of metal some times with the really good welds I Imagine what it would look like if ive welded it. So anyways there stood a sign about 75ft tall maybe 50ft wide and it sat on two post that were about 24'' pipe and each section {about 10ft up or so** The post got more narrow ie 24,18,12,10 ect to the top, one heavy chunk of steel. I noticed on both of the massive post that held this huge sign up that the welder had a struggle. Im guessing that stricking an arc was challenging enough but welding this thick steel was worse... You could imagine the worst case senaro for whats holding this massive sign up in the avg.50mph west texas winds.. adding to the incorrect welding tecnique some one else seen how ****creature like the welds were.. or thought they could do better so tried to add { original work painted black new work not painted** 6x6 1'' thick angle iron to severe as a gusset.. WTF I think it made the sign in alot worst shape...

'

My purpose of this thread was to vent... all I could think about after that is what in the **** is holding that big *** sign up!!!?/

So any one else seen some potentialy Fatal welding jobs ie bad beam? or Mezinine Or maybe and amature trailer hitch????
    Trailblazer 275DC
    eleite helment
    millermatic135&140
    375extreme plasma
    new set victor torches
    ingersolrand 185 compressor
    1 big f550w 8 4ft toolboxes full of tools
    o and the rest is too much to list lol
    im very blessed to have all of it paid for

I am not a welder by trade. I took some welding classes at the local community college after retiring. Strictly as a hobby. I find my self critiquing welds whenever I come across them on consumer products etc. Some a real CRAP. A couple that come to mind...

A fellow in line in front of me at the local Tractor Supply had a set of aluminum ramps for loading lawn mowers into a pickup truck. Most of the welds were covered with black smut.

And I was looking for a new ZTR mower. As I examined a HIGH $ John Deere unit I came across some welds on the deck which looked like a worm covered with green spray paint. Barely enough penetration to stick the bead to the metal.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by taylorkh View Post
      As I examined a HIGH $ John Deere unit I came across some welds on the deck which looked like a worm covered with green spray paint. Barely enough penetration to stick the bead to the metal.

Ken
      Some of those decks are robot welded and they have bad or missed welds. I have seen and fixed lots of them over the years...Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

A lot of sign stuff is designed so bubble gum welding is all it takes to hold it together.

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
          Some of those decks are robot welded and they have bad or missed welds. I have seen and fixed lots of them over the years...Bob
          You gotta love the ones where the bead is next to the joint that was supposed to be welded! Quality control anyone?

I've seen a millwright company do an install where everything was torch cut, welded with 6011, and I don't think they even owned a grinder. All I could think, was "have a little pride in your work."

Comment

Originally posted by benA View Post

I've seen a millwright company do an install where everything was torch cut, welded with 6011, and I don't think they even owned a grinder. All I could think, was "have a little pride in your work."
            Thats common. 6010 and 6011. Single pass downhill. Then after a few years you get to grind out their work and run 7018 uphill to fix it...Bob
            Bob Wright

Comment

Currently in the process of repairing a 35 ton crane that has had multiple failures due to the initial poor design, followed by years of abuse and overloading.
              Past repairs involved sticking whatever scrap metal they could find over cracks and welding it on with what must have been jumper cables and a coat hanger.
              Hard to believe it made it this long without complete collapse.
              We didn't even try to fix the mess and instead cut everything out and started over.

Comment

I know what you mean and I am NOT a pro weldor by any means...mostly just sort of hobby and repair work when I have to fix something or stuff I want to make. I can do decent stuff and I always want the welds I produce to be sound and to look good, and that, in turn has made me into a weld critic....Everywhere I go I just have to look at welds, see if they are sound looking..wetted out right, etc, etc. and it doesn't matter if they are stick, MIG or TIG as I have had a reasonable amount of training in all of them and can do reasonably nice welds using all three processes. Now, granted, I am way picky and when I wanted to learn to weld I went to school for it for over a year...and that was just for my own PERSONAL satisfaction as "just OK" is NOT OK enough for me. (H*LL, maybe I AM an*l!). And, yes, it does amaze me that some of the things out there you see that have been welded. Makes one wonder (1) what retarded second grader welded it; (2) how in holy H*LL has it managed to stay together; (3) who in their right mind would buy a thing with such bird sh*t looking welds on it; (4) who would actually pay someone to produce such horsesh*t welds and; (5) What ever happened to quality control?

I know that if I ever produced such poor stuff, I would NEVER let it leave my shop without grinding it out and doing it over. The trouble is that when someone brings something to me to fix, they think I am just being AN*L or overly picky when I am not happy with the quality of a weld I have made. Maybe I am an*l about the welds I make, but it is disgusting to me to see what is acceptable by the general public!!!
                Last edited by dondlhmn; 05-14-2012, 09:33 AM. Reason: fix all the **** and the ****, etc...
                Don J
                Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Comment

I did a rare service call today on broken bent up logging machine, the guy could tell there was a difference vs the last guy that did it, maybe for less for price but I could tell when we finish he felt he got his moneys worth. I cut these straight up, hard working, nice guy a little break on the price. I would have billed a corparate type a minmium of another hr or 2 at 85, he paid in cash and thanked me like a kid getting a candy bar. These always happen when I am swamped, I really hate to leave my own work but a guy has to take a few, keep a toe wet.
                  Last edited by Sberry; 05-14-2012, 04:53 PM.

Comment

We're all weld critics, but I have to confess that I've made some welds that I'd rather didn't get seen by another welder. I know enough not to ever let a weld go that I thought might have lacked penetration, had the puddle roll over its own slag, or be in any way unsound, but I've let welds go that sure could have been prettier! Maybe accessibility to the joint was tough, or I was using someone else's machine, or I couldn't get a good visual, and always I was in a hurry and surface appearance didn't matter. As I say, the weld will hold just fine, but still whenever I make what is by professional standards an unsightly weld, it bugs me.

Maybe that's the difference. When you see one of those welds that looks like a pile of rat turds deposited on top of the joint, you know the "welder" didn't care enough or know enough to cringe at what he'd done.

Comment

So its not just me that does this!! My wife laughs when she sees me looking at stuff in stores that is just the displays. I mostly wonder what stores pay for clothes racks that look like .5" x 1" rectangle tube, fused together with a TIG and then a little circle on the end that doesn't have the mill scale ground off so it's undercut and ugly..but its on the backside so no one except people like us see it.
                      I loved looking at all the handrail work everytime we go to Disneyland and Disneyworld. The railings around space mountain are mitered stainless rectangles but not just in a flat plain and its all beautiful

Comment

Working...
                      X