Spoolmate 100 Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoolmate 100 Reviews

I have searched the forum for my question at hand and really found little resolution to my question. I curently have two machines at my house a 211,and a Maxstar. I work for an industrial construction company in the metro Detroit area in MI. I also have a small maintance and fabrication company I have been doing for side work for the last few years. Any time I nedd somethimg bigger to do a job with I just borrow a trailblazer from work. I mainly stick weld with the occastional mig and tig. Here is my question comes into play. From a referal I was asked to weld about twenty pieces of 1/8th inch square aluminum tubing together for a custom made air conditioner bracket on an izuzu class 6 truck. My problem is I have welded plenty of aluminum at work but never for myself so I dont have the equipment for it. I wanted to know if it is worth buying a spoolmate 100 for my 211 to do light portable work or am I going to be disapointed by the hobbyist type grade of this spool gun. I have researched the spool gun and understand there is a barrel upgrade and was also woundering if that is a solution to my problem. Some one with more experiance with this spoolmate 100 could give me more of an idea that would be great.
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
    Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
    Stihl TS 420

[email protected]

Hey Rez,
    I have the Spoolmate 100 on my 211 and I have been pleased so far. I have only used it a little, but so far I'm impressed. If you only need for occasional work and not industrial type, I think you will be happy with the Spoolmate.

We used one at the Under the Hood event and with the instructor's help, I was surprised how well people were welding aluminum on their first attempt.
    Last edited by wb4rt; 05-11-2012, 01:43 PM.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL
    http://www.10FtDrillBit.com

Comment

You have a light duty hobby machine- MM211

You are not going to outrun the Spoolmate 100 with the MM211

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1304800..._lwgsi=y&cbt=y

IOC is a good online vendor

You just have to realize that this will be a MIG process and AL mig isn't as purdy as AL Tig work.
      Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Now I understand the 211 is a light weight hobby machine but I have found that to not be true in my applications. The welder has done everything and more than I ever expected it to do. I have welded plenty of aluminum at work and I uderstand I'm mig welding and not tig welding. When I talked to my LWS they had really poor things to say about the spoolmate 100 and 211 together I was just trying to figure as in maintinece and repair for the work I do with it would it hold up to regular use with the 211. The way they explained it to me was the spool mate has more of the welding potential of the 140/180 not the 211. I'm not trying to repair Grayhound trailors I'm tring repair light aluminum structures and don't want to spend money that won't pay for it's self.
        Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
        Maxstar 150STL
        Metabos
        Stihl TS 420

[email protected]

Comment

for the price it gets the job done. I have doen a barrel upgade on mine and have welded up to 3/8" aluminum and done a little 1/2" with multiple passes and been satisfied with the results.
          "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

Comment

At 220.00
            It will pay for itself on the 1st job
            And it is the only spoolgun for the mm211
            Ed Conley
            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
            MM252
            MM211
            Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
            TA185
            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
            O/A set
            SO 2020 Bender
            You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Your right at 220 it will pay for its self on the first job sorry for my stupidity just trying to overthink something simple.
              Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
              Maxstar 150STL
              Metabos
              Stihl TS 420

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
              X