Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Profile cutting with plasma cutter

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Profile cutting with plasma cutter

    I would want to know if you can use a profile cutter,
    Like the one used in oxyacetylene cutting on a plasmer
    cutter.
    What material should I use to make plasmer tam plates and
    how do I go about it.

  • #2
    As in template cutting? If so yes it can be used that way. I make my templates from any rigid like cardboard, plywood sheet metal etc.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by HayFarmer View Post
      As in template cutting? If so yes it can be used that way. I make my templates from any rigid like cardboard, plywood sheet metal etc.
      thanxs for the quick response.I dont know if you can assit me with how I could make a straight edge to use when I am cutting a side mounted fuel tank on the freightliner trucks.I will be opening and cleaning the inside or for the purpose of extensions.
      Any form of flexible non conductor ,I not sure?

      syncrowave 250 analogue version
      dynasty 200dx
      cutmaster 25 thermal dynamics

      Comment


      • #4
        Roll a metal band & then stick flat rubber/foam weathersripping on the underside. This can also be done with straight edges or shape templates.
        MM250
        Trailblazer 250g
        22a feeder
        Lincoln ac/dc 225
        Victor O/A
        MM200 black face
        Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
        Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
        Arco roto-phase model M
        Vectrax 7x12 band saw
        Miller spectrum 875
        30a spoolgun w/wc-24
        Syncrowave 250
        RCCS-14

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MMW View Post
          Roll a metal band & then stick flat rubber/foam weathersripping on the underside. This can also be done with straight edges or shape templates.
          thank you for the insight.MMW and Hayfarmer

          Comment


          • #6
            For straight cutting by hand on flat material with my plasma, I just clamp a piece of angle iron to the work and follow the edge of the angle iron with my plasma torch.
            For more detailed cutting on flat material, I use my cnc table.
            Lincoln Idealarc 250
            Miller Bobcat 250
            Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
            Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
            Torchmate CNC table

            Comment


            • #7
              Same here for straight cuts. Rather than a CNC table I make a template. If you go the template route remember its going to have to be bigger than the piece you're cutting to acct. for the torch thickness.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by HayFarmer View Post
                Same here for straight cuts. Rather than a CNC table I make a template. If you go the template route remember its going to have to be bigger than the piece you're cutting to acct. for the torch thickness.
                HayFarmer,

                Correct me if I am wrong and do not understand your method when using templates. I am thinking that one would want to use a template smaller than the actual item being cut, thus allowing for the approximate 1/2" width from the center of the electrode to the template. Just wondering because I have a project coming up and thought I was finally starting to understand the process. I will be cutting stainless and can't afford any mistakes.........thanks.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Pat View Post
                  HayFarmer,

                  Correct me if I am wrong and do not understand your method when using templates. I am thinking that one would want to use a template smaller than the actual item being cut, thus allowing for the approximate 1/2" width from the center of the electrode to the template. Just wondering because I have a project coming up and thought I was finally starting to understand the process. I will be cutting stainless and can't afford any mistakes.........thanks.
                  You can either make the template an id or od template. Depends wether you are using the outside edge of the template or the inside edge as your guide. Same results from a different approach.
                  MM250
                  Trailblazer 250g
                  22a feeder
                  Lincoln ac/dc 225
                  Victor O/A
                  MM200 black face
                  Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                  Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                  Arco roto-phase model M
                  Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                  Miller spectrum 875
                  30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                  Syncrowave 250
                  RCCS-14

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by snoeproe View Post
                    For straight cutting by hand on flat material with my plasma, I just clamp a piece of angle iron to the work and follow the edge of the angle iron with my plasma torch.
                    For more detailed cutting on flat material, I use my cnc table.
                    so the idea of a non conductive material for template or straight edge is not a rule of thumb

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      thats right...I use angle b/c its quick and easy. Sometimes I use a large framing sq too which is some sort of zincish metal. Anything more complex is cardboard, wood, plastic etc. b/c its cheap and easy to cut. Throw outs are cardboard anything more and Ill use 1/4" plywood. I have all the tools to make a neat template from wood or plastic (phenol board usually). Phenol board lasts a long time but is somewhat expensive.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Powerweld View Post
                        so the idea of a non conductive material for template or straight edge is not a rule of thumb
                        It depends on the torch/machine. The old esab machine we had could not touch the material being cut so we used rubber weatherstripping to isolate the templates. My Miller 875 has a drag tip which is isolated from the actual tip so it can touch the material. When not using the drag tip though I don't let it touch.
                        MM250
                        Trailblazer 250g
                        22a feeder
                        Lincoln ac/dc 225
                        Victor O/A
                        MM200 black face
                        Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                        Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                        Arco roto-phase model M
                        Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                        Miller spectrum 875
                        30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                        Syncrowave 250
                        RCCS-14

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X