Bend Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bend Test

Started working on my piece for my bend test today. 1/4" open root with a backing bar on 1/2" steel plate with a 60 degree single v welded with 7018. I only got through my root pass today, but it came out PERFECT. Hopefully I pass this thing. There's 3 or 4 college credits in it for me!

Bend Test

Good luck! Why more than one day for a test plate? Only tests I have taken are 1 to 3 hours
    Kevin

Comment

BE SURE TO KEEP CLEAN. and keep yor passes relativeley flat so it fuses better to the base metal. Also if you get arc blow towards the end of your pass back out a little bit then go back in but begin to push the arc but keep a consistent pace. Just some of the things I learned in trade school. Most definateley some of the best advice I've been given for bend tests as Ive got completeley certified with 7018 good luck!

Comment

All I have left is my last pass along the top. We take more than a day for the test because we're doing all the classroom type stuff too, so we really only get about 30 minutes a day to actually weld.

Comment

Good Luck. I did 2 of them last summer except 3/4" plate and 1 overhead and 1 vertical. It took about one hour for both tests and they bent perfect. Everyone said i was going to flunk because i got done too quick...Bob
          Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
            Good Luck. I did 2 of them last summer except 3/4" plate and 1 overhead and 1 vertical. It took about one hour for both tests and they bent perfect. Everyone said i was going to flunk because i got done too quick...Bob

Did you weld both at the same time, letting one cool while welding a pass on the other?
            Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by go2building View Post
              Did you weld both at the same time, letting one cool while welding a pass on the other?
              Kevin
              No i didn't but some guys did just that. I ran the overhead first then the uphill. Then the next day it was .045 gas flux core and that was only a half hour...Bob
              Bob Wright

Comment

I'm working on my flat one right now. We're doing flat and vertical.

Comment

Kinda blurry, but here it is ready to go. Just need to let it cool so we can bend it.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	552824_374300142620713_100001221919443_1153121_1702039810_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	512644

Comment

Bend Test

You ran it a little on the low amps for flat!!! How's the back look? Front looks good, don't see under cut.
                    Kevin

Comment

Well I used a backing bar and I haven't taken it off yet so I'm not sure what the back looks like yet. I was running 140 amps on 5/32 and my top 2 passes were 1/8 at about 130. I thought I could have done a little better, but I'm happy with it. The only undercut I had was on my last pass when it cut into another bead a little, but I have to grind it flat anyway so it wont be there when it gets tested anyway.

Comment

I cut my coupon out of it today to bend. 100% fusion from what I can see. So far so good!

Comment

Cool!

Comment

Bend Test

So did you pass
                            Kevin

Comment

Working...
                            X