Running 211 at Max Output OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running 211 at Max Output OK?

I'm welding some 3/16" angle iron, and through some experimentation with the help of a friend of mine that has much more welding experience than me, we arrived at a setting that is producing really nice welds. We suspect we're right on the edge of spray transfer with the .030 wire I have in it.

The thing is, this is Voltage = 10, Wire Speed = 100. In other words, we're running my machine at maximum output. I'm trying to give the machine a "rest" here and there and I haven't caused it to shut down due to exceeding the duty cycle. Does anyone see a problem running my 211 at max output like this most of the time?
    Thanks.
    Steve

Originally posted by skincer View Post
    I'm welding some 3/16" angle iron, and through some experimentation with the help of a friend of mine that has much more welding experience than me, we arrived at a setting that is producing really nice welds. We suspect we're right on the edge of spray transfer with the .030 wire I have in it.

The thing is, this is Voltage = 10, Wire Speed = 100. In other words, we're running my machine at maximum output. I'm trying to give the machine a "rest" here and there and I haven't caused it to shut down due to exceeding the duty cycle. Does anyone see a problem running my 211 at max output like this most of the time?
    Thanks.
    Steve
    Understand your duty cycle and what it means.... managing time on/weld..... to rest/cool time...at differing loads...

Figure 3-2. Duty Cycle And Overheating in the manual...

there is a lot more to duty cycle that forcing the machine into overtemp shutdown....
    repeated Overheating may just end up cooking it... this is a light duty/hobby use machine.... not intended for heavy load continuious use.............

Last edited by H80N; 04-23-2012, 01:43 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Get yourself a bottle of 98/2 (argon/oxygen) if you insist or running spray. That'll tone things down somewhat.

Comment

I would would say get a larger capacity machine. Just go to the 252 and be done.
        Right machine for the job.

Comment

Wait, you're only welding 3/16" and your basically pedal to the metal with that machine??? I'm assuming you're running off of 110v then, correct?

When on a 110v circuit, the duty cycle is 20%. On 220v circuit, duty cycle goes up to 30%. Also, welding 3/16" on 110 is what the literature claims as max. With multiple passes, you can easily weld 1/4" steel. I've done it on my old Hobart 135 with ease.

The Miller 211 has the capability to weld up to 1/2" using .035 flux core wire and maxing out the settings. It's not recommended by myself, but it can be done in a pinch and with multiple passes. Nor would I recommend doing the above on a weld where safety and structural integrity for human life is at issue.
          Last edited by ShockHazard; 05-07-2012, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X