Help with 350P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Glidertow View Post
    Thanks fellows. Did some work with it today in MIG sure like the arc settings. Got to get some 90/10 so I can use the pulse.
    What gas are you running now??

and why can't you pulse with it..??

one of the advantages of 90/10 is it will let you spray but should not matter for pulsing...ferrous metals.. (I know 90/10 is what they suggest on the chart... but you might try it with what you have)
    Last edited by H80N; 06-22-2014, 05:09 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
      Originally posted by ericher69 View Post
      Do a search on 350p issues. Many many results... Too many for my liking.
      Originally posted by ericher69 View Post
      I don't! I have no legitimate use for it therefore purchased a 252 last summer.

Just reading through "issue" threads as I would love to own one; but simply overkill+++ for what I do.
      So... the bottom line is...

You do not own nor have you used a MM350..??... but want to comment on "issues" you have no experience with..?? is that right..??

There are folks that say they have it on good authority that the moon is made of Blue Cheese.... that must be true... I read it on the internet so it must be right...

Gotta love the internet...
      First of all H80N;

I already have a father thank you for the stern tongue lashing...

Yes I have used a MM350P for a period of 4 months but do not own one.

I'm glad you love your machine and that you have had no issues; must be a first!

I will comment on first hand experience, word of mouth or forums as I please; last time I checked there is NO law against it.

Have a good day

Comment

Nobody ever said Blue Cheese was against the law...

just wanted to understand the basis of the comment...
        Last edited by H80N; 06-22-2014, 05:24 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Help with 350P

Bought the 350-p cause was running a 252 but kept running over duty cycle, just to much down time waiting on michine.
          Bought the 350-p to use hard and it has ran flawless !!! Been running it hard for 3-years. I've ran it 225 to 250 amps for 4 to 5 hours straight and I'm exhausted but that Michine flat out runs flawless. The only thing I've replaced is tips and liner. Say what u want but that Michine has made me money and cost me nothing in repairs.
          If it quit tomorrow I'd buy another one, it's already paid for its self. I rate it 10+
          I love my Dynasty but the 350-P is my money maker. As the saying goes, if u want mine you'll hv to pry my Cold Dead hands from it.
          Glidertow give us some more info & we will try& help you out

Comment

I have only 75/25 gas this weekend. Ran a little pulse just to see what it was like. I'll get the right mix later and give it a try unless there is a way to set the machine to pulse correctly with the 75/25 mix. Really love what I'm see though in regular mig. Please educate me on getting a softer start. Is this arc control or run in that I need to adjust?

Comment

There is a boat builder down here in south Louisiana called Gator Tail. They manufacture flat bottom aluminum boats and Surface Drive air cooled engines for shallow water operation. In their shop where they manufacture the hauls, they use three 350p's. When I toured the shop, I talked to all 3 operators about their settings trying to maybe get some inside info on this machines sweet spot. They all operated the 350p with different arc length and arc control setting. And my sweet spot settings were different from theirs, but all our welds were almost alike.

Long story short, everyone's welding technique differs from the next guy but we all want the same result. You have to tailor the machines setting to your own specific technique to get a great result.
              Last edited by ja baudin; 06-22-2014, 07:40 PM.
              sigpic

Dynasty 200 DX
              Millermatic 350P
              30A Spoolgun
              Lincoln Pro Mig 140
              Hypertherm Powermax 30
              14" Rage Evolution dry saw
              40 ton press brake
              Evenheat Heat treat oven

1x42 / 4x48 belt grinder

Comment

I have only 75/25 gas this weekend. Ran a little pulse just to see what it was like. I'll get the right mix later and give it a try unless there is a way to set the machine to pulse correctly with the 75/25 mix. Really love what I'm see though in regular mig. Please educate me on getting a softer start. Is this arc control or run in that I need to adjust?

Play with the run-in.
                sigpic

Dynasty 200 DX
                Millermatic 350P
                30A Spoolgun
                Lincoln Pro Mig 140
                Hypertherm Powermax 30
                14" Rage Evolution dry saw
                40 ton press brake
                Evenheat Heat treat oven

1x42 / 4x48 belt grinder

Comment

Help with 350P

Running .035 or .045 wire?

Comment

Help with 350P

OP

15ft stock gun or did you install a longer one say 20ft?

Reason I'm asking I was talking to my uncle weldor by trade for 30yrs and he said they had installed a 20ft whip/gun on the mm350p at his work to facilitate tank work.

They experienced intermittent feeding and issues as you describe. Cranking down the feed pressure did not help as the rolls where slipping occasionally (visualized while holding the trigger down. Changing to a knurled roll helped but they ended up putting the 15ft gun back on.

Problems solved.

Not saying it's your issue but worth a look.

Comment

I'm running .035 on mild steel.

Comment

Help with 350P

All of my pulse work has been with .045 and 85-15 gas. Also been using metal core wire.
                        So settings will be different. But just for reference.
                        I normally push but also works fine with pull.
                        I can't run at settings on Michine they are to hot on mine. Mostly I'm running at lower setting.
                        If thin metal I may be as low as 150 (& that's with 045) and I've hardly ever been over 300.
                        My normal setting 3/8" & 1/2" metal are 242 to 258. With arc length 47 to 58.
                        Most of my root passes are beveled or open.
                        So root pass will be around 242 with arc length around 47. With stringers, fill and cap I'll turn up, ending up around 260 and mostly arc length over 50.
                        I've also learned that on thin metal at low setting I need to turn up arc length some times around 60 or more due to arc length being to short & driving into puddle. Even with .045 wire runs very nice bead on 1/8" metal. That's why I never bother switching to .035.
                        Get your wire speed close and if your getting spatter increase your travel speed and or arc length. If bead to wide decrease arc length etc.
                        if go hot decrease wire speed if to cold increase wire speed. Then adjust your arc length to fine tune.
                        After u get that down you can also adjust sharp arc to control width arc.
                        Just some rough settings to start.
                        Hope it helps.
                        Greg

Comment

mm350p

If your machine is not set to display amps, then change that setting (only displays amps while welding, see owners manual for how to do it if you don't know). If your wire is truly slowing down, then your amperage should be going down as well. A lot of people miss worn drive rolls, but this would cause the issue immediately. If this motor draws too much current, it will give a fault code. Miller issued a service memo on the drive roll gears being too tight. . Make sure without any pressure on the drive rolls, that the bottom two "gears" have a little room/slop with the pinion gear (middle gear). The motor has a tach feedback, so it should remain at a constant speed. Also, when in pulse mode, you are now doing constant current welding, and not constant voltage. Your leads and workpiece will get hot and increase voltage drop. Make sure your diffuser and tip and wrench tight, not just finger tight.

Comment

OK i'm getting the settings down and making good welds, still in MIG with 75/25. I have found the factory chart to be really close on the settings. Only issue I am still having trouble with is the first half second start it is sputtering and popping, then smooths out real nice. I have played with the runin from 50 to 85. Improves at 50. Arc at 30, does not seem to make any difference on start. Using 035 solid wire, Bernard 15 foot gun. Ive traded tips, did the coil test on roller tightness, not slipping. Im sure it is me and not the machine but what do you think Im doing wrong? Just dont have another welder around to ask.

Comment

OK i'm getting the settings down and making good welds, still in MIG with 75/25. I have found the factory chart to be really close on the settings. Only issue I am still having trouble with is the first half second start it is sputtering and popping, then smooths out real nice. I have played with the runin from 50 to 85. Improves at 50. Arc at 30, does not seem to make any difference on start. Using 035 solid wire, Bernard 15 foot gun. Ive traded tips, did the coil test on roller tightness, not slipping. Im sure it is me and not the machine but what do you think Im doing wrong? Just dont have another welder around to ask.
                              Adjust your "Run in to 100%

Comment

Thanks Cruzer I will give it a try. Another question, I have a 10' work lead and need one about 5' longer to work with in my shop. What size cable sshould I use and is this a no no or will I be ok.

Comment

Working...
                                X