No announcement yet.

How do you not lose things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep higher value stuff organised, but disperse tapes, soapstone, chipping hammers, and the "handled punches and chisels" (I weld hunks of rod or rebar to all my medium and large punches and chisels as handles. Works very well and you get better control and can hit harder without risk) I use often throughout my indoor and outdoor work areas.

My keys stay on a clip hung off a loop of "chute" cord secured to my belt. Truck key detaches, shop keys are on a ring. Dropping "computer" truck keys in a salvage yard isn't cool. Cord has no bulk worth mentioning, so there is no reason not to use it.

http://slickguns.com/product/mil-spe...-free-shipping

Comment

Originally posted by WyoRoy View Post
      58 and keep a minimum of 20 tape measures up at the shop...would hate to do that with every tool!
      and it sucks when you need just 1 at home
      Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

age is not the problem

I once worked with a guy that every morning he would put his hand tools on a appren then pull them off the bench letting them hit the floor. After spendin the next 30 to 45 minutes picking everything up he would feel confident his day would be free of any tool lose. Never understood this but amazingly it seemed to work for him.

Comment

I'm so glad I ain't the only one who loses stuff. At 51...ish It's happenng more often than when I was 40. Thought I was really losing it last year while building a bike. Grinding wheels, scribe, wrenches carbide burrs, anything that was shiny. Then I found this

Dang Pack rats would swipe tools right off the welding table, here's a pic of some of the stuff I found in his stash. Some of this stuff was heavy, IE full can of carb cleaner, aluminum 1x2 tube, 1 lb. tube of brazing rod.

Little thieves even stole a pair of my cheater glasses. Everything in this pic was carted off across the shop into his nest.

Comment

That there is amazing....pack rats, go figure. But I too am constantly misplacing things. Over the years I've learned that I am "A Carrier". I go from one place in the shop, go to get something, and put down what I've carried there. Then I go back to what I was doing before and for the life of me can't find what I was working on. Having learned this, I now know the first place to look. But organization is the key, you have to have a place for everything, and everything has to be in it's place. Easier said than done.
            Miller Syncrowave 200
            Homemade Water Cooler
            130XP MIG
            Spectrum 375
            60 year old Logan Lathe
            Select Machine and Tool Mill
            More stuff than I can keep track of..

Comment

I guess I will try hangin a tool belt on my hip. Can get in the way and inconvenient, but so is all the time wasted searchin for stuff. I bet I'll now be lookin in every location of the tool belt for the marker.

I had no idea rats could hoard that much stuff. I thought that was more of a raccoon's tendency.

Ya'll have a great weak!

-Osconda

Comment

You young 52 year old pups shouldn't be losing stuff YET!! Geez...I sure wish I was only 52 again! I am about to turn 65 and my buddies laugh at my "techniques" for keeping track of stuff....any stuff...tools, measuring sticks of any kind, markers, pencils, scribes, parts both large and small, etc.

Now, I am really bad about setting about anything I ever had in my hands down right were (wherever!) I last used it, so it all is scattered all over the shop. So..my "technique" is....whenever I get to the point that I can't find anything anymore, I stop what I am doing and spend the next hour or two cleaning up the shop, putting everything where it belongs (and, believe it or not, everything DOES have its place). Then I get back to work...and the process starts all over again. Been doing the same thing for I don't know how many years. One would think that after repeating that process several thousand times, I would learn...but NO!

One other technique that seems to work great for me it that when I just CANNOT find something, I go buy another one. Then, when I get back to my shop, the lost one is always the first thing I see when I go in the door. Works EVERY TIME! NEVER FAILS!

I may be a slow learner, but I HAVE learned to take any little thing that is really important, so I don't want to lose it and put it in a safe place. The trouble is that I have a couple dozen things stashed in a "safe place" and I can't find ANY of it!! For some reason, even using the "go buy another one technique" doesn't seem to work for that stuff?!?!?
                Don J
                Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Comment

Originally posted by Osconda View Post
                  I will admit that some of my problem is that I'm 53 yrs old, but that can't be all of it.

So the problem is that while I'm working in my shop, I'm constantly forgetting where I layed something down at. Half the time I can't find the following; soap stone marker, measuring tape, majic marker, gloves, safety goggle, ear muffs,etc; basically anything smaller than a football.

How do you guys keep up with this stuff while working? Do you carry it around in a tool pouch? I'm constantly jumping around from task to task; marking, cutting, welding, grinding, etc., and the items I need to do each task if different.

I don't remember forgetting anything 20 years ago .

-sconda
                  I am a "messy guy" also. I tried the organizational route with no success. I have always lost things in my shop. Searching for items constantly wastes time in my opinion. So my solution is to have a bunch of those items. I have tons of sharpies, hearing protectors, tapes, squares, safety glasses etc. The ONLY thing that I have a spot reserved for is my prescription glasses. If I lose them I can't see and have to ask for help to find them. I hate that for two reasons. First it makes me feel foolish and second I don't like asking for help.
                  Nick

Comment

Can't Remember if I'm Forgetful or Not !

Forgetful, YEP; I forgot my grinder on the job this morning !!!!!!!!!!
                    50 miles away . lol .
                    Now I have to go back & hopefully I can remember where I left it !

I think I've got tools scattered over five different counties ! OUCH .
                    I'll be "62" this Summer, my memory & a few other things are going Real Fast !

..........Norm
                    Last edited by nfinch86; 04-16-2012, 04:59 PM. Reason: Forgot my own Age !
                    www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
                      Forgetful, YEP; I forgot my grinder on the job this morning !!!!!!!!!!
                      50 miles away . lol .
                      Now I have to go back & hopefully I can remember where I left it !

I think I've got tools scattered over five different counties ! OUCH .
                      I'll be "62" this Summer, my memory & a few other things are going Real Fast !

..........Norm
                      OK Norm,
                      The reason for your edit was funny!!!!
                      Nick

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi View Post
                        OK Norm,
                        The reason for your edit was funny!!!!
                        Nick
                        Nick, I did. lol.
                        At first I put down , I'd be 61 this Summer, till I remembered I'm already 61. Wow !

I have a very small shop, as most of my work is on the road ( mobile welding & repair) Man I forget what I'm after by the time I walk 20 feet across the shop !
                        I'm starting to worry . Seriously !!!!!!!!

...........Norm

Comment

Are you joking or are you really worried?
                          Nick

Comment

Wasn't there a saying years ago that was something like, You would lose your head if it wasn't fasten to your shoulders. I was gonna try to tie string to everything but I would end up hanging myself !

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi View Post
                              Are you joking or are you really worried?
                              Nick
                              No, I'm Not kidding !
                              I don't think I should forget so easily . If I don't write things down, It's Gone.

.........Norm
                              Last edited by nfinch86; 04-18-2012, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X