How do you not lose things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you not lose things?

I will admit that some of my problem is that I'm 53 yrs old, but that can't be all of it.

So the problem is that while I'm working in my shop, I'm constantly forgetting where I layed something down at. Half the time I can't find the following; soap stone marker, measuring tape, majic marker, gloves, safety goggle, ear muffs,etc; basically anything smaller than a football.

How do you guys keep up with this stuff while working? Do you carry it around in a tool pouch? I'm constantly jumping around from task to task; marking, cutting, welding, grinding, etc., and the items I need to do each task if different.

I don't remember forgetting anything 20 years ago .

-sconda

I try to keep my work aas fairly clean, so the stuff I' using stands out
    But other than that, I spend a lot of time looking too

Frank

Comment

I have a place for everything and always put it back everytime I'm finished with it. In short I hyper-organize. If the tool isn't on the shelf it's in a certain pocket or holder hanging off the bench.

Comment

Now I'm a messy guy, and while I used to remember where everything was, at 52 I don't anymore.

Even if I put the part back where it was supposed to be, at 52 I couldn't see it anymore without glasses. I scatter glasses around the shop, but naturally can't find any of those either.

My computer monitor got too small, so I stuck in a 42" tv lcd screen

Good thing my welder repair data bank in my brain is still functioning well.

Comment

I got the same concern, now 61. So, I took a 1 gallon plastic jug from anti freeze and laying flat , cut the center out . You now have a flat container like a box with sides. Now at least you loose ALL OF IT IN ONE SPOT! :
          I'm trying a apron to keep all the soapstone, pencil, scriber , marker, etc. in. I did wear bibs but they get hot in the summer.
          cruizer, I like the TV monitor idea !
          Hayfarmer, happy for you ! I just retired so I'm FINALLY have time to do that. Problem I get something all setup and then gotta go or some other thing pops up. I am trying .

Comment

**** organization. Its the only way. There is nothing worse than not being able find something when you need it.

Comment

If you want to find it, stop looking for it.
              Nick
              Miller 252 Mig
              Miller Cricket XL
              Millermatic 150 Mig
              Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
              2-O/A outfits
              Jet Lathe and Mill
              Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
              DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
              Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
              20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
              Propane Forge
              60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
              Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
              and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                If you want to find it, stop looking for it.
                Yea, you give up and all of a sudden it appears !!

Comment

aging...such a releif to see that i'm not alone

To find the lost tools i painted a few in bright yellow with limited succes.

From the age of 13 years old i have bad sight in the far and then at 53 bad sight at close range, in a metal shop where everything is iron grey i would need a radar.

And the memory seems to evoluate accordingly, some times i dig in my tool boxes to find a tool i forgot about...

and the most re-occuring thing: i end up quite often with 4 right hand gloves by the welding machine and the left hand are scattered out of sight...

the list goes on...better to laugh about-it ;o)

i am a disciple of the "stop searching to find" strategy, i like the idea of the anti-freeze cut canister.

Comment

58 and keep a minimum of 20 tape measures up at the shop...would hate to do that with every tool!
                    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
                    Miller DialArc 250
                    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
                    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
                    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
                    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
                    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
                    Logan 7" shaper
                    Ellis 3000 band saw
                    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
                    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
                    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
                    Lots of dust bunnies
                    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

Roy hit the nail on the head,,,,, keep multiples of whatever and everything around. Several tape measures, many pieces of soapstone, etc. etc.
                      Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

I am 53 also and have 2 of everything. It never fails you look for something and grab another the first one will show up...Bob
                        Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by WyoRoy View Post
                          58 and keep a minimum of 20 tape measures up at the shop...would hate to do that with every tool!
                          Me too !!!!!! Harbor freight had free tape coupons and I got um planted all over. I hope they start growing !

Comment

Drawer right under the top of the welding table has been a lifesaver as well...laziness counts for something! Only downside is I have to remove it once in awhile for certain clamp placements. Reading glasses ONLY go down on the grinder rack, welding table or table saw...got tired of searching everywhere for them when they were needed.

As a side note, when converting my engine hoist over to air over hydraulic I had to fill the new cylinder with hydraulic oil. In the 15-20 steps from the cylinder to the jug of hydraulic oil I must have set the NEON ORANGE cylinder plug down along the way. Haven't found it in well over three years of looking. I'm glad the black one from the original cylinder was the same size.
                            Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
                            Miller DialArc 250
                            Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
                            Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
                            Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
                            Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
                            South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
                            Logan 7" shaper
                            Ellis 3000 band saw
                            Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
                            Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
                            3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
                            Lots of dust bunnies
                            Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

i am still looking for the keys and my new flash light, at 59, its scary, my dad died with alzheimers, even with that looming over my head, i still forget where i put it down last, i think the older you get, the more you think, so when you set some thing down, you were thinking of the next step in the job or sompth,n like that

Comment

Working...
                              X