mig vertical up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mig vertical up

Generally what would be the best settings (amps, volts) for welding vertical up with 1.0mm wire on mild steel around 6mm using argon shielding gas? Other welders a work weld vertically down but I don't think it gets enough penetration and coming vertically up is stronger, am I right?
    Thanks
    Cori

Originally posted by cori.o'connell View Post
    using argon shielding gas?
    Argon or 75/25? ...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

Uphill Mig gets a lot better penetration than downhill. Uphill takes a lot more practice to get a good looking bead. The voltage and wire speed can still be the same settings as horizontal. Go slow at the toe(edge) and quickly across the root so the bead doesn't droop.
      AutoArc 230 (MM 210)
      3035 spoolgun
      Spectrum 625
      Dialarc HF w/Coolmate 4

Comment

As a general starting point set the machine about 10% less for vertical up vs. flat. Go to welding tips & tricks for some helpful info.
        MM250
        Trailblazer 250g
        22a feeder
        Lincoln ac/dc 225
        Victor O/A
        MM200 black face
        Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
        Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
        Arco roto-phase model M
        Vectrax 7x12 band saw
        Miller spectrum 875
        30a spoolgun w/wc-24
        Syncrowave 250
        RCCS-14

Comment

the problem with vertical down is the weld can overlap. this can result in lack of fusion,between welds. it may look good but itmay not be fused? there are ways to weld vertical down and it takes time to learn. cross country pipe lines often use down hand. thick pipe at least sch. 80 is used,the sch.40 can be used ,but not always. rods or mig guns point as much at 45 degrees. upwards-- often high amps are used. anyway thats one understanding of vertical down.
          up hill welding is better for petretation. unless the steel is thin.
          i like 75/25 gas ,but co2 can also be used and that gas is cheaper.
          so good luck and work on i,to get better.

Comment

How thick of steel are you welding? if it's thin, do it downhill quick, do your gap right though.Assuming you're using solid wire. And yes 75/25 would be the gas to use.

Comment

mig vertical up

Yes I use 75/25 the problem I seem to have is the weld drooping in the middle of the bead, I very rarely use steel under 4mm and regularly weld 10mm 12mm etc... As I work for a plant hire firm mainly repairing machine buckets and booms etc...

Comment

It sounds to me its more your technique, as far as number dials for heat and wire speed i cant help you there but if is drooping in the middle seems to me you are spending to much time there, I do mind kinda like stick rod with a weave ( a Z pattern up) do not spend time in the middle hold your corners and watch the puddle form paying close attention to the toes, then move qucik across center to the other side and repeat, Actually watching would be worth a ton here, Check out you tube for videos, You do not have to weave can also do the triangle thing or figure 8's whatever works for ya, I always experiment with different techniques and find what works best for me (some days i do better with a different technique then others) Dont be afraid to try something new just cause its not what other people do, Thats the beauty of welding not necasarilly a right or wrong way but a right or wrong finished product, Always remeber Work angle, Travel angle, Travel speed, stick out (arc length), and most important relax!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X