X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunner12R
    replied
    Originally posted by Waymack View Post
    been a pipe welder and a tube welder for last 10 years. pipe I use a fiber metal Pipeliner, tube I use a Pipeliner cut down and a sock hood mainly
    Sock hood..... You're a **** of a man is all I can say.... I hate those things ! I haven't ever used one yet that I would call comfortable or something I want to wear more than 2 minutes..

Leave a comment:

• Gunner12R
    replied
    Originally posted by Scottis1 View Post
    Haha, most of my pipe welding friends use the old school type helmets, a good old fashion filter lens can't fail you. It's a real eye opener if the auto tint ones do!

Huntsman 451P ! Best Helmet ever made and still what I prefer over all others. All those fancy helmets are good for is blinding you! Besides I've never seen one with a Gold colored lens and I prefer Gold lens over all others as well. The opening on the fancy hoods is deduced compared to a good 4.5 opening of the Huntsman. It's all about being able to see at the end of the day and all through the day. My batteries will never be run down either.. LOL !! Seriously in production MIG welding shops I can see the use for these automatic helmets but for pipe welding or most TIG applications not so much.

Leave a comment:

• go2building
    replied
    helmets for pipe

Hi Thomas
    Where are you that it is morning? In Miller land it's nite. Ask your questions and I think someone will answer them!!!
    Kevin

Leave a comment:

• Thomasdale17
    replied

Hi Good Morning Everyone

I am Thomas Dale

One if the newest member of the site.

I do hope we can be friends all.

And someone will entertain in terms of my queries if ever

Thank you so much

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Ta-Da
    replied
    Thanks for all the input. Im leaning toward the fibermetal pipe hood . Another question though about the pancake hoods I see they come in right and left side. So i would have to buy both or get cooked on one side. Right????? But I do like the fact that they keep out all the back light . I use a jackson hood and a # 10 gold lens right now and if there is any light behind me its like looking in a mirrior. Do the fibermetal pipe hoods get alot of backlight?
    Thanks Bryan

Leave a comment:

• angus31632
    replied
    Good career choose bro, Im an apprentice with the UA pipefitters union and when im at work i use a fibermetal "pipeliner" hood with a #10 arc one single senior lens and when im at the shop i use my miller elite. never had a problem with either. Oh and your wondering i dont take the miller on the job cuz you wouldn't believe this but construction works steal stuff.

Leave a comment:

• nocheepgas
    replied
    Most pipeliners I've seen use a pancake stlye hood, cause all they do is burn rod. Their helpers do all their grinding and brushing, otherwise it's a PITA to keep changing from a hood to a face shield. I weld pipe, but generally as maintenance, though there are times I burn rod all day long. I use a Digital Elite and love it.
    The advantage to a pancake hood is that outside in the sun it prevents light coming in from behind the hood, which really F's up your visibility.

Leave a comment:

• jigsaw
    replied
    pipeliner

I own a digital elite and it works great especially for heliarc (tig) but in the field... I agree with Waymack. Fiber metal pipeliner hood is the way to go.. its made out of fiberglass it will not break it will not burn. Besides if you must have an auto darling lens , you can put one in. I am currently in advanced pipe college course for combo certificates. You should get use to using a fixed lens. At least that's what pipe welders here in Texas tell me.

Leave a comment:

• Waymack
    replied
    u don't want a auto lens on tubes for sure. they use them on the pipelines and they do work good in open areas though

Leave a comment:

• Waymack
    replied
    been a pipe welder and a tube welder for last 10 years. pipe I use a fiber metal Pipeliner, tube I use a Pipeliner cut down and a sock hood mainly

Leave a comment:

• hockeyguynick
    replied
    This is what I wear at work for getting into real tight spots, works good for bending to get around to see a pipe joint http://www.amazon.com/Confined-Weldi.../dp/B00665TSE2

Leave a comment:

• 5150 OffRoad
    replied
    Digital elite

Absalutly awsome helmet and the X-mode is designed for situations like pipe welding where the sensors may be blocked

Leave a comment:

• Bob Miller
    replied
    Pound gun

Originally posted by go2building View Post
    I like that name for it, I won't steal it, but can I use it.

I think all the above terms are broadly used and also mask.

I was talking to the counter person at my LWS, he was telling me about the name of a tool that a customer came in and asked for ( a pound gun). He had no idea what he was asking for.

I'm only here to put .02 in and get .02 out. Every body has an opinion and none are worth getting Serious about.
    Kevin
    Just my guess: A spool gun that takes 1 pound rolls.

To the OP, I really like auto on and auto off. The first time your manual on flashes you'll know what I talking about.

Good Luck,
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• ronnie coffman
    replied
    helmets for pipe

Who cares what it's called haha

Leave a comment:

• ilm48
    replied
    Originally posted by JTMcC View Post
    Infantrymen wear helmets. Welders wear hoods.

Me and about 5 million others happily use 2 sensor auto lenses on pipe. I use arc 1 or Miller these days.
    Put it in whatever hood you like.

J
    your right on.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X