helmets for pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr.Ta-Da View Post
    Wow I hope Im not the first new guy to upset the balance. So lets pretend I called it a HOOD all along.
    Don't worry Mr. Ta-Da...the self-proclaimed "Pros" in here like to pound their chest at the expense of us hobby knobs. Not the first time and won’t be the last. I expect to get quite the lashing just for pointing that out, for how wrong I am and how little I will EVER know about welding…lol
    You too will pick up that specialty in time...assimilate or die.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Comment

The thing is I know there called "hoods". The miller web site calls them helmets seeing that Im on a miller forum I thought lets be politiclly correct. Anyway at least Im smart enough not to talk about chinese welders

Comment

There ya go case closed

Comment

Some of you cats take yourselfs just a tad too serious.

Call it what you want, it's still America. A welding bonnet, a facial radiation protective device, call it Sharon if it makes you smile.

But the young man seemed to be trying to get employed in the pipe world. It will make his life easier if he uses the common terminology used in the field.

I've never had any problem with 2 sensor auto lens', but my work is primarily stick rod on pipe so I can't comment on tig welding one half of a water wall.

I'm going to start calling my hood a "Noggin Mounted Cicumfrential Fortress of Doom Blindness Prevention Device", NMCFDBPD for short. That's copyrighted so don't steal it.

J
          Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Originally posted by JTMcC View Post

Call it what you want, it's still America. A welding bonnet, a facial radiation protective device, call it Sharon if it makes you smile.

But the young man seemed to be trying to get employed in the pipe world. It will make his life easier if he uses the common terminology used in the field.

I've never had any problem with 2 sensor auto lens', but my work is primarily stick rod on pipe so I can't comment on tig welding one half of a water wall.

I'm going to start calling my hood a "Noggin Mounted Cicumfrential Fortress of Doom Blindness Prevention Device", NMCFDBPD for short. That's copyrighted so don't steal it.

J
            I just call it my welding costume. Also, because I am a fisherman, I have a fishing costume.

NMCFDBPD, or "Noggin Mounted Cicumfrential Fortress of Doom Blindness Prevention Device" rolls off the tongue so easily, we may have to negotiate for rights to use it.

-Ian
            :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!:

Comment

J
              I like that name for it, I won't steal it, but can I use it.

I think all the above terms are broadly used and also mask.

I was talking to the counter person at my LWS, he was telling me about the name of a tool that a customer came in and asked for ( a pound gun). He had no idea what he was asking for.

I'm only here to put .02 in and get .02 out. Every body has an opinion and none are worth getting Serious about.
              Kevin

Comment

Infantrymen wear helmets. Welders wear hoods.

Me and about 5 million others happily use 2 sensor auto lenses on pipe. I use arc 1 or Miller these days.
                Put it in whatever hood you like.

J
                your right on.

Comment

helmets for pipe

Who cares what it's called haha

Comment

Pound gun

Originally posted by go2building View Post
                    I like that name for it, I won't steal it, but can I use it.

I think all the above terms are broadly used and also mask.

I was talking to the counter person at my LWS, he was telling me about the name of a tool that a customer came in and asked for ( a pound gun). He had no idea what he was asking for.

I'm only here to put .02 in and get .02 out. Every body has an opinion and none are worth getting Serious about.
                    Kevin
                    Just my guess: A spool gun that takes 1 pound rolls.

To the OP, I really like auto on and auto off. The first time your manual on flashes you'll know what I talking about.

Good Luck,
                    Bob
                    Millermatic 252 w/30A
                    Big Blue Air Pak
                    Ellis 3000 Band Saw
                    Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
                    8-RC
                    Dynasty 200 DX
                    XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
                    Millermatic 211
                    Passport Plus
                    Spectrum 625 X-TREME
                    Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
                    2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
                    SA-200 Black Face '59
                    SA-200 Green Lite '84
                    SA-200 Green Lite '80
                    SA-200 Red Face '69
                    SA-200 Red Face '66
                    SA-200 Green Lite '81
                    '70 Black Face Round Barrel

Comment

Digital elite

Absalutly awsome helmet and the X-mode is designed for situations like pipe welding where the sensors may be blocked

Comment

This is what I wear at work for getting into real tight spots, works good for bending to get around to see a pipe joint http://www.amazon.com/Confined-Weldi.../dp/B00665TSE2

Comment

been a pipe welder and a tube welder for last 10 years. pipe I use a fiber metal Pipeliner, tube I use a Pipeliner cut down and a sock hood mainly

Comment

u don't want a auto lens on tubes for sure. they use them on the pipelines and they do work good in open areas though

Comment

pipeliner

I own a digital elite and it works great especially for heliarc (tig) but in the field... I agree with Waymack. Fiber metal pipeliner hood is the way to go.. its made out of fiberglass it will not break it will not burn. Besides if you must have an auto darling lens , you can put one in. I am currently in advanced pipe college course for combo certificates. You should get use to using a fixed lens. At least that's what pipe welders here in Texas tell me.
                              Miller Dialarc 250
                              Miller Dynasty 200DX
                              Lincoln a/c 225
                              Smith propylene cutting torch
                              Milwaukee band saw
                              Milwaukee grinders
                              Rockwell chopsaw

Comment

Most pipeliners I've seen use a pancake stlye hood, cause all they do is burn rod. Their helpers do all their grinding and brushing, otherwise it's a PITA to keep changing from a hood to a face shield. I weld pipe, but generally as maintenance, though there are times I burn rod all day long. I use a Digital Elite and love it.
                                The advantage to a pancake hood is that outside in the sun it prevents light coming in from behind the hood, which really F's up your visibility.
                                Miller Syncrowave 200
                                Homemade Water Cooler
                                130XP MIG
                                Spectrum 375
                                60 year old Logan Lathe
                                Select Machine and Tool Mill
                                More stuff than I can keep track of..

Comment

Working...
                                X