helmets for pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helmets for pipe

Im in school getting my pipe cert, and am looking to get a new helmet. I was looking at either the digital elite or the titanium9400. Wondering which if either are a good choice. I was told that auto darken hoods dont work well for pipe cause the sensors get blocked and Ill get flashed. Looking for any info on a good helmet for pipe. Thanks

Something like this is your best bet...
    Attached Files

Comment

Funny!! Real funny.

Comment

Haha, most of my pipe welding friends use the old school type helmets, a good old fashion filter lens can't fail you. It's a real eye opener if the auto tint ones do!

Comment

helmets for pipe

Both have 4 sensors, I've done pipe welding with my titanium and had no problems. 2 sensor systems probably don't work well on pipe.
          Kevin

Comment

Infantrymen wear helmets. Welders wear hoods.

Me and about 5 million others happily use 2 sensor auto lenses on pipe. I use arc 1 or Miller these days.
            Put it in whatever hood you like.

J
            Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

helmets for pipe

Wow lots of happy people, glad your happy with your SHIELD, I'm happy with mine. I only use 1 for the last 3 years!!!

Comment

Infantrymen wear helmets. Vikings carry a shield. Welders wear a hood.

It's not hard.

J

Comment

KKK members wear hoods

Comment

helmets for pipe

Only thing my welder wears is a cover when it's off. Weldors wear helmets, hoods and shields.
                    No not hard!
                    Last edited by go2building; 03-28-2012, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Welder/weldor is terminology that old Mr. Lincoln tried to make standard way before I was born. It didn't work.

It's taken on new life on the interweb. But there only. You won't see it in the workplace, in any code or standard (and those goofs love to standardize terminology). So use it if you want but in the welding world, a welder holds a stinger and a welding machine supplies current.
                      Weldor is improper useage under any common welding code, use it in code related documentation and the paperwork will be kicked back to you for correction.

But I have to admit, it's popular with the hobby computer welders. So if you want to call yourself a weldor, and wear a helmet or shield, then knock yourself out, chuckling quietly to myself.

J

I'll add that if Mr Tada wants to weld pipe, in Ell Lay, it'll go smoother if he uses the common terminology of the trade.
                      Last edited by JTMcC; 03-28-2012, 10:53 PM.

Comment

I own a digital elite and love it. The only time it ever flashes in me is if I'm watching someone from several feet away and it's partially obstructed. Never happens when I'm the one welding. I bought a MP-10 at the shape time I purchased the digital elite too. The lenses interchange so you have an auto dark lense and fixed shade for a back up and for about $30 extra at the time. Go for the elite and by a fixed shade back up and you'll be set for anything.
                        Miller Digital Elite inferno
                        Miller MP-10 passive helmet
                        Hobart Stickmate 250/160 ac/dc

Comment

Wow I hope Im not the first new guy to upset the balance. So lets pretend I called it a HOOD all along.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Ta-Da View Post
                            I was told that auto darken hoods dont work well for pipe cause the sensors get blocked and Ill get flashed. Looking for any info on a good helmet for pipe. Thanks
                            You did call it a HOOD and a HELMET in your first post. My opinion is 4 sensor systems, like the professional types Miller sells work better for sensitivity than the 2 sensor Systems that Miller sells for pro hobby use.
                            I have had the 2 sensor systems and I find the 4 to work better, especially on low amp tig welding. If you go for the Titanium 9400i, keep in mind the price for the inner grinding shield costs about $8.00 each. Good luck with your 6G test. Are you doing a tig root pass or stick?

Comment

Im getting into the boilermakers union and am working to get both stick and tig root. I just started on pipe the other day and I seem to pick it up pretty quick.

Comment

Working...
                              X