need some help welding this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some help welding this.

The one piece is 3/4", and the stuff I'm welding it to is 5/16", I'm not to bad at welding but have never welded anything this thick. Should i bevel out the sides of the thicker stuff? Should i do more then one pass?I'll be using my miller 251 with a 75/25 gas mix and a .035 wire. Any tips or tricks or any help at all would be greatly appreciated, because i really don't know where to begin.
    Attached Files

hit_em,

Really not enough info to be of much help. Also the photo was, how do I say, non descript.

With just the info you provided, I'd be more inclined to use a spray transfer mode with a 90%Argon/10%CO2 mix. Considering that your minor material is 5/16", you could most likely do with a single pass. More info about what it is and what the part does would help.

I see a grease fitting in the photo. Grease fittings generally indicate bearings and seals. Will high heat possibly damage the seals?
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Comment

need some help welding this.

The part is a mount for the hydraulic cylinders on my skid steer. High heat won't be a issues, I will be removing the cylinders while welding.

Comment

Working...
      X