Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to break in the 350 Pipe Pro with the Mitsubishi engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cruizer
    replied
    It's kinda like a semi with a 18 spd 550 Cat pulling a 53' trailer with light loads for a couple of years since brand new traveling hills and mountains

Then getting to pull a Super "B" with a max load of flat steel.

It'll take all the gears just to make it up to the top of a hill and the stacks will be pouring the smoke.

However, that same semi, if loaded from day one pulling steel, will be up and over that hill and only drop a couple of gears, with little to no smoke.

Only analogy I can think of cause I've been there....
    Same kinda thing with your diesel welder
    Last edited by cruizer; 04-02-2012, 06:24 PM. Reason: Spelling

Leave a comment:

• mikecwik
    replied
    of course the engine is still going to run. the question is is how far away from its best is it running? its going to run if you idle a new engine for 30 hours under no load and glaze it over. it will run if you hold the same load for 30 hours as well. do as the engineers tell you do in your owners manual.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    Drive it like you stole it!

Leave a comment:

• JSFAB
    replied
    Dam, just use the machine. Seems people here are more a nal about their welders than their personal vehicles, which they put far more hours/miles on eventually. I have several 500 amp plus engine drives, bought used, I have no idea how they were "broken in", but just happily weld away anyway. I can almost guarantee you, no matter how you "break in" the engine, the welder electronics will give you problems before the engine does. Get over it, and start welding.

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied

Thank you for all your device it sounds like putting the machine on the load bank would be the best thing for me to do and yes there's a lot of work in California right now

Leave a comment:

• TerryL
    replied
    Cruizer - do you step load the welder or generator or both??

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
    Yep, breakin alot of new engine drives from LWS's and new owners. Step load for a while then hit em with a high load , let em drop to idle and hit them again until I'm happy. Then I change the oil and off they go.

Takes a good 3 to 4 hours
    Cruizer - do you step load the welder or generator or both??

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
    So do you offer a break-in service at your shop?

Yep, breakin alot of new engine drives from LWS's and new owners. Step load for a while then hit em with a high load , let em drop to idle and hit them again until I'm happy. Then I change the oil and off they go.

Takes a good 3 to 4 hours

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    I was passing thru that way last summer and was as close as Calgary.
    Maybe closer. Was coming from Fairbanks.

Leave a comment:

• Cornerstone
    replied
    Just bring him a cruller and a coffee.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Originally posted by cruizer View Post
    Engine manufacturer is not going to hook it up to something and load it. They will start and preprogram it. Its not cost effective for them to load it for several hours, change the oils ect...

Miller installs the engine into the case. Miller really doesn't care if the engine crashes as thats a Engine Warranty thing. Nothing to do with Miller

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Why in the world isn't this done already? Looks like it would stop a lot of warranty problems.

Engine manufacturer is not going to hook it up to something and load it. They will start and preprogram it. Its not cost effective for them to load it for several hours, change the oils ect...

Miller installs the engine into the case. Miller really doesn't care if the engine crashes as thats a Engine Warranty thing. Nothing to do with Miller

Leave a comment:

• sae350
    replied
    paul, is there work in cali?

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Why in the world isn't this done already? Looks like it would stop a lot of warranty problems.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    high idle will F--k it, best to get alota scrap and go at it with 1/4 " rod, or gouging.

Best bet would be to take it to a repair shop and have them step load it for 3 hrs or so

Leave a comment:

• Cornerstone
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul S View Post
    Should I keep it on high idle?
    I'm looking forward to hear how it welds and runs for you Paul.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X