Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller maxstar 150...imported components?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller maxstar 150...imported components?

I am looking to purchase a Miller Maxstar 150 inverter welder but would like more info concerning the actual internal components. From what I understand The Maxstar 150 is assembled in the U.S.A. but some internal components are imported from overseas. Could those of you qualified to do so please elaborate on this? I would like to know which components are imported and their origins. I currently own a little Lincoln invertec v100s (now out of production) it was made in Italy and it is an excellent little welder.

Some of my migs components are from overseas too. Guess thats what happens when you have factories all over the planet...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

I thought to qualify to legally call something "made in USA" there had to be a certain amount of components made here. Like 70% or something like that?
      They just said it on the History Channel a few days ago.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
      Miller WC-115-A
      Miller Spectrum 300
      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by weldtx View Post
        I am looking to purchase a Miller Maxstar 150 inverter welder but would like more info concerning the actual internal components. From what I understand The Maxstar 150 is assembled in the U.S.A. but some internal components are imported from overseas. Could those of you qualified to do so please elaborate on this? I would like to know which components are imported and their origins. I currently own a little Lincoln invertec v100s (now out of production) it was made in Italy and it is an excellent little welder.
        I don't understand why you would care??

Do you ask where the parts came from when you buy a car, or a toaster... Seems like a pointless question..

Comment

Heck I wish more electronic companies would follow Miller's lead. They ROCK!!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
          Miller WC-115-A
          Miller Spectrum 300
          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post

Do you ask where the parts came from when you buy a car, or a toaster... Seems like a pointless question..
            If you read my initial post it pretty much explains at least one very good reason why I care. And yes I do always ask where critical components are manufactured when it pertains to important purchases. Now that I have answered your questions can you please legitimately answer mine? or at the very least kindly direct me to someone who can? Thank you
            Last edited by weldtx; 03-20-2012, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post

If you read my initial post it pretty much explains at least one very good reason why I care. And yes I do always ask where critical components are manufactured when it pertains to important purchases. Now that I have answered your questions can you please legitimately answer mine? or at the very least kindly direct me to someone who can? Thank you
              I don't see it, can you show me where it explains why you care. I think for your question to be answered you need to put together a list of what components you are talking about

Comment

Yes, Miller does use components brought in from the "Global Community". But they are designed, assembled, and tested here in the U.S.

I'm sure your Italian Linclone has some parts sourced from the "Global Community" also. My Linclone T170 has some parts made in Mexico. But I love it.

Personally I would rather the company I buy from has a solid reputation for quality and performance, not just price.
                Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
                3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
                Miller Dynasty200DX
                ThermalArc 400 GTSW
                MillerMatic350P
                MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
                MKCobraMig260
                Lincoln SP-170T
                Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
                Hypertherm 1250
                Hypertherm 800
                PlasmaCam CNC cutter
                Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
                SiberHegner CNC Mill
                2 ea. Bridgeport
                LeBlond 15" Lathe
                Haberle 18" Cold Saw
                Doringer 14" Cold Saw
                6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

I can strip one down and have a looksee. The steel is probably melted down from imports and others and made into sheet, thats one I suppose. Board components are likely from overseas though assembled and potted in the US and Mexico. Fans are mostly made in Germany.

I don't think anyone can directly tell you where exact components are made. What we can tell you is Miller makes a superior static (plug in) machine to ANY other.

Comment

Originally posted by go2building View Post
                    I don't see it, can you show me where it explains why you care. I think for your question to be answered you need to put together a list of what components you are talking about
                    Ummm okay "I am looking to purchase a Miller Maxstar 150 inverter welder" Is this not a sufficient reason to care? Am I missing something here? Perhaps I am just extremely old fashioned or just delusional. I would think there is probably a good number of others who would also like have some light shed on the subject prior to making what I would consider a fairly major purchase.

Comment

Ummm okay "I am looking to purchase a Miller Maxstar 150 inverter welder" Is this not a sufficient reason to care? Am I missing something here? Perhaps I am just extremely old fashioned or just delusional. I would think there is probably a good number of others who would also like have some light shed on the subject prior to making what I would consider a fairly major purchase.
                      I guess I understand your question but what is your response to an answer that
                      the components are sourced Globally?

What is your option or 2nd choice equivalent to the Miller Maxstar ?

Since you have already stated that your Italian made Lincoln " is an excellent little welder" 100% USA fabricated/built does not seem to be a concern.

Ed Conley
                      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                      MM252
                      MM211
                      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                      TA185
                      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                      O/A set
                      SO 2020 Bender
                      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Miller maxstar 150...imported components?

If I was looking to get a maxstar 150 I would be asking if people were happy with it's welding and reliability, not where the parts came from. What do you care about more?

Comment

hey weldtx

I run the 350 and 600 maxstars in a industrial use i pulse three gtaw torches up to 300 amp all day long i weld high alloys and stainless pipe up to 36 inch dia with 5/32 tung .long storie short keep water and power supply line in order and a good ground and these welders r as good as they get .:

Comment

The Maxstar 150 is assembled in the U.S.A. but some internal components are imported from overseas.
                            In response to the original question I am NOT qualified but have you tried to build an electronic component with materials made entirely of domestic materials? It'd be kinda tough I think.
                            The original poster may have valid concerns BUT I feel the need to look for the;
                            "kicking a dead horse" emoticon
                            and my boots cuz I think the poo is gettin deep.
                            I think cruizer answered about everything you need to know in post #9
                            At least he wasn't asking about an everlast......

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                              I guess I understand your question but what is your response to an answer that
                              the components are sourced Globally?

What is your option or 2nd choice equivalent to the Miller Maxstar ?

Since you have already stated that your Italian made Lincoln " is an excellent little welder" 100% USA fabricated/built does not seem to be a concern.

My response is...Great! So long as those components are the best currently available and the company who utilizes them is up front and honest about the facts. I was really expecting to come here and receive a cordial quick and to the point professional answer to what I thought was a legitimate opening question about a specific Miller product rather than insults from senior members and somewhat of a condescending undertone on this forum. Quite frankly a single quick broad answer would have been more than sufficient. Perhaps a mention of any or all critical components that might happen to be imported and where they are made would have been nice but just a percentage of whats made here versus what is not as one person has suggested is fine I suppose. I have other questions about the Maxstar 150 series as well however we seem to currently be somewhat sidetracked with what I myself consider more "pointless" questions directed back towards me instead. Simply came to this forum for a little more info about a product I was considering purchasing as upgrades for my bussiness. In addition to that a few days ago a Miller distributor attempted to push Thermal Arc 161s units on me and I responded to him that it would not be wise for me to purchase thermal Arc units made solely in China for the stated price when I can purchase Miller Maxstar 150 units made in the U.S.A. for around $100.00 more per unit. He proceeded to tell me the components were "all the same" and that Miller Maxstar 150s cannot be used for tig while also suggesting that Miller Maxstar 150s were little more than a expensive chinese welder in a blue "Made in the U.S.A." package which obviously raised some concern. I was actually just looking for solid reassurance that this is not the case as well as any additional information to further educate myself prior to making any major purchases as I have already stated and tried to make clear. Just recently received a sizeable order in my business which now justifies purchasing higher quality tig capable units. To respond to your other question concerning equivalent alternatives to the Miller Maxstar 150 series. One might be the Lincoln Invertec v155s among others I guess. however I am currently more interested in learning more about the Miller Maxstar 150 series simply due to the additional features some units offer.

Comment

Working...
                              X