Millermatic 211 Smooth Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millermatic 211 Smooth Start

I have a 211 mig with the smooth start feature not working correctly. It works with the 110v plug, but with the 230v it only works after the first trigger pull, and then nothing. If I turn the welder off and then back on it will work one time again. The welder is only two months old and used to work fine. I can tell it's not working by the feed motor speed doesn't start slow then speed up. Has anyone else had this problem? I talked to Miller service and of course they never heard of the problem.

Originally posted by labmaster02 View Post
    I have a 211 mig with the smooth start feature not working correctly. It works with the 110v plug, but with the 230v it only works after the first trigger pull, and then nothing. If I turn the welder off and then back on it will work one time again. The welder is only two months old and used to work fine. I can tell it's not working by the feed motor speed doesn't start slow then speed up. Has anyone else had this problem? I talked to Miller service and of course they never heard of the problem.
    No, but I wish the smooth start "feature" was able to be turned off at least when on 110v. Makes it difficult (at least for me) to weld on thin metal. Which is 90% use for the reason I bought this machine. Getting started smoothly is h-e double hockey sticks when you set up to weld properly once it actually gets burning. If you get it to start well, it overfeeds when you get going. I just can't get used to it...

Comment

The only thin metal I've welded was using the 230v and had to stitch weld it. If you could do me a favor and try your welder on 230v to see if the smooth start works on that setting. You can do it with the wire tensioner off so it doesn't actually feed wire. Just set the speed up around 100 and pull the trigger. See if the motor starts slow then speeds up. It will be obvious. Try it a few times, because mine works on the first trigger pull then it doesn't work after that unless you turn the welder off and back on.
      Thanks

Comment

Kind of an older thread, but it caught my eye. I have the 211 and I'm unfamiliar with the "smooth start" feature. I use a 230v outlet and I set the welding parameters manually. I don't really care for the autoset. I've tried it and like it, but I prefer to fine tune my machines. I also use .030 L-56 wire by lincoln electric.

I've welded up to 1/2" scrap metal. I normally weld between 1/8" to 1/4" for structural stuff I care about. I have not ever noticed that the machine will slowly spool out the wire, then speed up.

My stickout is usually always 1/4" and never larger or smaller than that. I have noticed that the starts seem a bit "harsher" as far as the arc goes, when compared to a Lincoln 180 I've use at work. Also, the 211 makes a pop sound often when I pull the trigger, something the lincoln never does.

All in all, I do like the 211 better because it seems to weld thicker steel better and does make terrific beads on the joints I weld. It just takes some getting used to. I would also recommend if you're able, to always use a 220 volt outlet. It's just more efficient than 110.

Comment

The smooth start is different than the auto set. It was a way to prevent the harsh starts and burn backs. The smooth start is a selling feature advertised for the 211 and sounds like a good idea. I also only use the 230v. I just noticed one day that the smooths tart only seemed to work on the 110v. I called Miller and they ended up sending me a new control board. It didn't change, then they told me that was the way it worked. I was just looking for someone to confirm it. It's easy to check. Using the 110v plug, turn the wfs to 100. Pull the trigger and it's obvious, it starts slow and then speeds up. Change to the 230 and do the same thing. It will only work on the first trigger pull and it won't again unless you shut the welder off and back on.

Comment

Originally posted by labmaster02 View Post
            The smooth start is different than the auto set. It was a way to prevent the harsh starts and burn backs. The smooth start is a selling feature advertised for the 211 and sounds like a good idea. I also only use the 230v. I just noticed one day that the smooths tart only seemed to work on the 110v. I called Miller and they ended up sending me a new control board. It didn't change, then they told me that was the way it worked. I was just looking for someone to confirm it. It's easy to check. Using the 110v plug, turn the wfs to 100. Pull the trigger and it's obvious, it starts slow and then speeds up. Change to the 230 and do the same thing. It will only work on the first trigger pull and it won't again unless you shut the welder off and back on.
            Hmmm, very interesting. I never noticed the "smooth start" feature as described. I'm fabbing up a new project tomorrow, I 'll check it out.

Comment

Working...
            X