• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shovelon
    replied
    Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
    Shovelon,

You never welded thinner SS with a Syncrowave?

Slow speed pulsing is great for welding thinwall SS tubing (boat rails, etc).

With the high speed pulsing on the Dynasty's, you're getting as much effect from "puddle aggitation" as you are from pulsing. Different animal.

As far as pulsed mig and aluminum. When you find yourself doing a lot of "out of postion" welds, you'll understand the benefit of pulsed mig when doing aluminum, or mild steel for that matter.

My feelings on the inverters (Dynasty's in particular) is that they will allow an advanced tigger to move to another level of capability. On the other hand, an experienced tigger, not dealing with the exotics, can do everything he needs done with a Syncrowave.

Shovelon makes a big thing about the power consumption of a Syncrowave vs a Dynasty. In his PARTICULAR situation, that may be the case. However, for the small shop or guy working out of his garage the difference in electrical usage will be in the noise level. Kinda like one shop flowing argon at 16 CFH and one shop flowing argon at 18 CFH. Personally, using a Dynasty 350 vs a Syncrowave 250 may save me enough to buy a cup of coffee at 7/11 each month (and I have their mug and pay refill price).

For a shop running 10+ tig welders, 8-10 hours a day it may be a different story.
    Well, we can agree to disagree if you are willing.

When the 280 basic comes out, it will change the welding world. The culmination of everything inverter.

You might be right about pulsed alum mig. I just can't make it work in spray. And alum sprays.
    Last edited by shovelon; 07-27-2012, 09:01 AM. Reason: old

Leave a comment:

• SundownIII
    replied
    Shovelon,

You never welded thinner SS with a Syncrowave?

Slow speed pulsing is great for welding thinwall SS tubing (boat rails, etc).

With the high speed pulsing on the Dynasty's, you're getting as much effect from "puddle aggitation" as you are from pulsing. Different animal.

As far as pulsed mig and aluminum. When you find yourself doing a lot of "out of postion" welds, you'll understand the benefit of pulsed mig when doing aluminum, or mild steel for that matter.

My feelings on the inverters (Dynasty's in particular) is that they will allow an advanced tigger to move to another level of capability. On the other hand, an experienced tigger, not dealing with the exotics, can do everything he needs done with a Syncrowave.

Shovelon makes a big thing about the power consumption of a Syncrowave vs a Dynasty. In his PARTICULAR situation, that may be the case. However, for the small shop or guy working out of his garage the difference in electrical usage will be in the noise level. Kinda like one shop flowing argon at 16 CFH and one shop flowing argon at 18 CFH. Personally, using a Dynasty 350 vs a Syncrowave 250 may save me enough to buy a cup of coffee at 7/11 each month (and I have their mug and pay refill price).

For a shop running 10+ tig welders, 8-10 hours a day it may be a different story.

Leave a comment:

• Helios
    replied
    Sorry, Shovelon, I missed the gearshift from TIG to MIG. My bad.
    (I thought Sundown was using 1pps..?)

Leave a comment:

• Miller Welders
    replied
    Dynasty 280DX Update

We've consulted with TIG product manager Brent Williams who reports "we are currently preparing for the release of the product - taking the necessary steps to verify quality and performance. We appreciate everyone's patience & continued interest in the new product...and we expect to begin rolling out the product in the near future - so stay tuned & be on the lookout for the release."

If you want more detailed information, you can visit the 280DX webpage. Fill out the interest form and you'll be alerted the moment the new machine becomes available.

Leave a comment:

• shovelon
    replied
    Originally posted by Helios View Post
    Hmmm...I've heard you say pulse is "useless on a Sync 250" (which makes no sense)...and now this.

Just out of curiosity, how does pulse "compromise the strength of the joint"? I never heard that.
    That would be high speed pulse, alum mig, which is virtually spray at all times. I don't use it for fillets because I get low penetration and cracking. Helium may help but I just don't use the pulse and Argon is fine.

As far as pulsed tig, the slow speed pulse at max 10pps does little if anything. Maybe someone found a use for it. If it is a cadence feature, I am well past that. I have had tried slow speed pulse on Syncrowaves. Could never justify what it did, or it just slowed me down.

Mr. Sundown says he uses 10pps on his sync. More power to him. I have tried to duplicate the effect with my Dynastys, but can't figure it out. In fact all 10pps does for me is give me eye strain.

So how would high speed pulsed alum mig be of any benefit?

Leave a comment:

• Helios
    replied
    Originally posted by shovelon View Post
    I don't take advantage of the pulse because it compromises the strenght of the joint.
    Hmmm...I've heard you say pulse is "useless on a Sync 250" (which makes no sense)...and now this.

Just out of curiosity, how does pulse "compromise the strength of the joint"? I never heard that.

Leave a comment:

• Hemidude
    replied
    "Price point will be around 6500 +-."

at that level they (Miller) will have them around the warehouse for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• captkipp
    replied
    Dynasty 280 DX

Originally posted by H80N View Post
    Any News..??

rumors..... ??
    John Luck from Miller called me today. He's the guy in charge (Project Manager) for the 280. Told me the Dynasty 280 will be available in September. Final Beta testing is in progress. Price point will be around 6500 +-.
    John appologized to everyone waiting for this unit. But said they wanted to be sure of it before it hits the shelves. Darn nice of him to call actually.

Leave a comment:

• shovelon
    replied
    Originally posted by H80N View Post
    Any News..??

rumors..... ??
    Nothing here.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Any News..??

rumors..... ??

Leave a comment:

• shovelon
    replied
    Originally posted by BCRD View Post
    I was at a trade show in Calgary, Alberta yesterday, and the one of the sales guys at the Miller exhibit said that he had received an email memo earlier this week, stating the Dynasty 280 release has been pushed back to September. My brother is interested in buying one, and I am looking forward to playing with it. I don't know who is more impatient...

Obviously I am not the horses mouth, so take this for what its worth.

Cheers,

Jason
    A little birdie told me the same thing. I couldn't wait so I picked up something else.

Leave a comment:

• BCRD
    replied
    I was at a trade show in Calgary, Alberta yesterday, and the one of the sales guys at the Miller exhibit said that he had received an email memo earlier this week, stating the Dynasty 280 release has been pushed back to September. My brother is interested in buying one, and I am looking forward to playing with it. I don't know who is more impatient...

Obviously I am not the horses mouth, so take this for what its worth.

Cheers,

Jason

Leave a comment:

• shovelon
    replied
    Originally posted by Gunner12R View Post
    Shovelon I notice you have a 350P. That's on my short list as my next purchase from the welding store. I'm hoping with the powered gun it will be an aluminum welding monster is it? Is there any other that you feel is a better choice? From all I've read and seen the 350P looks like the best bang for the buck..
    It is a monster for me. I use it only for alum, and thick alum at that. I don't take advantage of the pulse because it compromises the strenght of the joint.

Here is a sample of a structure I use it on, and those tacks are brilliant. The alumipro gun is state of the art. The alum is 1" thick, and the filler is .045" 5356.

Leave a comment:

• Gunner12R
    replied
    Shovelon I notice you have a 350P. That's on my short list as my next purchase from the welding store. I'm hoping with the powered gun it will be an aluminum welding monster is it? Is there any other that you feel is a better choice? From all I've read and seen the 350P looks like the best bang for the buck..

Leave a comment:

• shovelon
    replied
    Originally posted by Gunner12R View Post
    How will an SD slot make a difference? I understand it may possibly open up the ability of future updates to the software if Miller sees fit to do so, but what else do you think it will allow? I'm not arguing at all just curious.. My biggest complaint about the 350 is size but it's A LOT of welding machine and although I would really love it if it were smaller like the 280. I wouldn't be willing to give up an once of reliability if making it smaller meant making the machine less durable.
    All I was able to do was test drive it. The sd card will be useful for accessing finely tuned programs or just diagosis. For me anyway. I think the technonerd wll have a field day.
    If and when they release them I may get one and mess with it. I am keeping my 200dx busy and could put it to work right away. I don't know what the delay is but I hope it is coming soon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X