• aametalmaster
    replied
    I made mine on a 45*...Bob
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ht=bullet+trap
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    replied
    .22LR is really easy to contain. More angle will make the transition less harsh and reduce the chance of debris flying back. It will make your plate last longer too.
    Commercial models are made to be cheap. If you have the plate and the time you can make one that'll last considerably longer.
    AR500 is your friend. Pock marks in steel really have a tendancy to throw particles back at the shooter so the more gentle an angle you use the better off you'll be. Just one crater from a major caliber can make the material not user friendly.
    Shooting glasses are a big gotta have when you shoot at steel. You'll still get an occasional small, hot piece stick you on the neck, or nose, if the range is short.

J

I should add that even tho you mentioned .22LR, if you shoot steel, with jacketed bullets you'll have a large area that seperated jackets minus lead will land in. These can travel quite a way. Velocity is low and so is the risk of real damage but they do tend to fly long distances.
    Last edited by JTMcC; 02-29-2012, 03:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• shovelon
    replied
    If this helps, here is a link to pistol range that just opened down the street from me. The photos have captions that say the angle is 30 degrees from vertical and 1/4" thick steel.

Check out the photo.

http://chatsworth.patch.com/articles...#photo-8551232

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    started a topic Bullet trap

Bullet trap

I want to make a bullet trap for .22 rim fire. I see different angles on the strike plate. Anyone have an idea what is the best angle to use. Most I see look to be about 45* but I would think less angle would have less impact. I did a search and it wasn't working well. I looked on ebay and the the more expensive ones had a shallow angle. Anyone with experience here and ideas or pics etc.?
Working...
X