Best Cutters for cutting tig rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Cutters for cutting tig rods

Ok started a Tig class and were welding carbon steel what the best cutters for trimming up and cutting the rods were going to be using a lot of 1/8 I though a good set of linemans pliers may be a good option
    Equipment
    Lincoln SA 200, Miller 252 , Miller TrailBlazer 275 and Hypertherm Powermax 600

1/8 inch...your gonna need a good heavy pair of ****s and squeeze like ****!! We run 1/8 inch on our sub arc at work and have a special cutter for that...kinda like a mini bolt cutter. Why are you using such big filler??

Comment

Diags are not side cutters, lineman's pliers are what are slang termed side cutters and they are the tool for cutting welding wires, number 9's, hi leverage types like Klein or Diamond makes.

Comment

Are you cutting filler rod? I usually use the pre-cut stuff.

A small set of bolt cutters might be good. The compound leverage will make cutting much easier.

For cutting rod material, I usually use a 3" abrasive wheel in an air die grinder. Works well up to 1/2", maybe 3/4" if the wheel isn't worn down too much.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
        MM210
        MM Vintage
        Lincoln AC225
        Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
        Cutmaster 81
        IR 2475N7.5FP
        Evolution Rage3
        Jancy USA101
        9" South Bend
        AEAD-200LE

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
          Are you cutting filler rod? I usually use the pre-cut stuff.

A small set of bolt cutters might be good. The compound leverage will make cutting much easier.

For cutting rod material, I usually use a 3" abrasive wheel in an air die grinder. Works well up to 1/2", maybe 3/4" if the wheel isn't worn down too much.
          You use 3/4" Filler Rod.......that's crazy sh!t right there!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Oatway View Post
            You use 3/4" Filler Rod.......that's crazy sh!t right there!!!
            Nope, that's "rod material" like the stuff you're welding together. I wasn't clear if he was just talking about filler rod.

I pretty much never cut my filler rod. I have cut pieces from a spool of mig wire for small stuff.

I think he said this was 'tig class' so maybe they have a big roll of wire that works as filler, but wasn't really intended to be filler. Probably cheaper that way.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
            MM210
            MM Vintage
            Lincoln AC225
            Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
            Cutmaster 81
            IR 2475N7.5FP
            Evolution Rage3
            Jancy USA101
            9" South Bend
            AEAD-200LE

Comment

All the pipe hands use mostly 9" klein side cutters. Good for 1/8 and under even stainless. Harder wires like inconell will eat out the sides.
              2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
              1- Blue star 185
              1- BOBCAT 250
              1- TRAILBLAZER 302
              1- MILLER DVI
              2- PASSPORT PLUS
              1- DYNASTY 200 DX
              1- DYNASTY 280 DX
              1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
              1- HF-251 BOX
              1- S-74D
              1- S-75DXA
              2- 12-RC SUITCASES
              1- 8-VS SUITCASE
              2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

Originally posted by fabricator View Post
                All the pipe hands use mostly 9" klein side cutters. Good for 1/8 and under even stainless. Harder wires like inconel will eat out the sides.
                Yep. I cut hundreds of carbon and stainless filler rods with a single pair of Kleins. I tacked one handle to my bench top and slid a hunk of pipe over the other for comfort.

We issued Kleins to students and they survive very well. Cheaper pliers will cost much more in suffering, and replacement pliers!

Comment

I use the red handle Klien lineman pliers.
                  Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
                  Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
                  Rockwell vertical mill
                  Beverly Shear B-3
                  Beverly Shear JR
                  Home-made English wheel
                  Milwaukee Porta-band
                  " Sawz-all
                  Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
                  Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
                  Powcon 300st

Comment

I have some small Snap-On bolt cutters, maybe 12" that are great for cutting 3/32 stainless rod. Also got some real long sidecuts that work decent too. But linesmens pliers also work real good

Comment

I am having a hard time believing that this question has gotten this many responses. Really
                      JIM

Owner Operator of JNT Mobile Welding & Repair LLC
                      Millermatic 350P Aluma Pro
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Maxstar 150 STL
                      Trailblazer 302
                      Suitecase 12RC
                      Extreme 12VS
                      Extreme 8VS
                      Spoolmatic 30A
                      Miller HF251D-1
                      Passport Plus
                      Spoolmate 100
                      Hypertherm Powermax 45 and 85
                      Ingersoll Rand Engine Driven Compressor
                      Dake 75 ton H-Frame Press
                      JD Squared Model 32 Bender
                      Miller Digital Elite

Comment

I was referring to the filler rod and yes they use a lot of 1/8 for carbon steel pipe welding. I have a set of 9" channel lock linemans pliers if they fail i will upgrade to kliens
                        Equipment
                        Lincoln SA 200, Miller 252 , Miller TrailBlazer 275 and Hypertherm Powermax 600

Comment

There is nothing wrong with Channelok, I bought a pair on sale he other day, were not hi leverage but still cut a wire ok. I agree as to lasting, I have a couple pairs of cheap china, they were purchased to ride along but found there way back in to general service, yes, they have been used a lot and were worth the 5 dollars a pair but the cutters cannot handle the continuous use.

Comment

I use the same table for stick, MIG, TIG and O/A so most all my welding related tools are on or around there. I do sometimes cut TIG rod if the stock length is too long for me to get it in where I need to use it. So, being on my table, I usually grab my whelpers and just cut the rod to the length I need it. If the rod is too big/thick/tough for the cutter that is part of the whelpers, I usually lay the rod down on the table or accross some other piece of stray stock thick enough to take some abuse and then give the rod a whack to chop it in two with my chipping hammer and that usually cuts it with no problem. Yeah...it may contaminate the rod, but I have never had a problem with that because I use the end that I did not cut for welding. The only big drawback is that my buddies tend to view my method as pretty crude/neanderthal so they all give me a hard time. Oh, yeah...sometimes grabbing the hammer and giving the rod a whack to cut it startles anyone standing there with me because of the CLANG that makes and they then laugh or whine. If they whine I just whack THEM with the hammer! I'd get a pair of KLEINS to keep on the table, too...except that the guys that use my table on occasion are always complaining that I have too much junk on/around there already!!
                            Last edited by dondlhmn; 02-29-2012, 08:29 AM.
                            Don J
                            Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Comment

Working...
                            X