Cert for state highway bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cert for state highway bridge

Looks like nobody knows about AWS D1.5, is any body on this forum doing welding on state highway bridges and if so what Certs are they using, I have friends that are using a DOT cert, is it a wast of time getting the D1.5 cert?
    Thanks Kevin

The testing facilities here know about it. I heard it was around a 6 hour test. How true that is I don't know.
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller Passport Plus
    Miller Spoolmate 100
    Milwaukee 4 1/2" Angle Grinder
    Milwaukee Sawzall
    Miller Elite Inferno Hood
    Miller Diversion 180
    Miller Digital Elite Vintage Hood
    Miller Camo Digital Elite Hood

Comment

Thanks J C
      Are you talking AWS D1.5 or DOT test
      Kevin

Comment

The AWS. There's a whole couple hundred page book on it online. Once again I don't know what all is covered in it.
        Miller Trailblazer 302
        Miller Passport Plus
        Miller Spoolmate 100
        Milwaukee 4 1/2" Angle Grinder
        Milwaukee Sawzall
        Miller Elite Inferno Hood
        Miller Diversion 180
        Miller Digital Elite Vintage Hood
        Miller Camo Digital Elite Hood

Comment

Originally posted by J C View Post
          The AWS. There's a whole couple hundred page book on it online. Once again I don't know what all is covered in it.
          Thanks J C
          I found that book it has a price tag of about $390.
          Thanks Kevin

Comment

The state DOT will have your answer. It varies quite a bit from state to state.

Some will just accept any old AWS D1.1 or 1.5, but quite a few will impose additional conditions. Some states will designate where you have to test, consumables allowed, etc.

The various DOT test's are all just versions of a D1.1 or D1.5 test.

D1.1 usually applies up to the top of the pier caps and D1.5 above that. You can weld one set of coupons and get D1.1 and D1.5 out of it if the procedure is written properly.

Not to mention any additional requirements the contract documents add.

J
            Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Thanks JTMcC
              From what I have found the only difference in D1.1 and D1.5 is that only a Chipping hammer and wire brush is allowed for cleaning slag on D1.5
              Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by go2building View Post
                Thanks JTMcC
                From what I have found the only difference in D1.1 and D1.5 is that only a Chipping hammer and wire brush is allowed for cleaning slag on D1.5
                Kevin

There are other differences but yes, on the test end that's the big one.

Some of the state dot's have unusual requirements so it's good to understand them. I know some only allow stick rod (or at least they did a few years ago). In other states there hasn't been a non semi-auto structural weld made in centuries
                I've never had a problem finding a particular state's dot rules online.

Just be aware of any odd requirements put in contract doc's. Sometimes they clash with state requirements if engineering isn't paying attention. Those things need to be ironed out before the machine is started.

J

What state are you looking at?
                Last edited by JTMcC; 02-24-2012, 04:57 PM.
                Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

NYC more interested in D1.5 but DOT In NJ

Comment

In my state (Maine), you get tested by the state DOT to do DOT work.
                    Bobcat 225NT
                    Cutmaster 52
                    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
                    Caterpillar TH63
                    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Working...
                    X