Looking at a new grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at a new grinder

Ok, I am looking at a new grinder and was hoping to find someone with some experience with the Metabo WEP 14-150 and the Metabo WEPA 14-150. The only 2 differences, excluding price, I have found is .2lbs and the "integrated auto-balancer." The 'A' at the end of WEPA apparently is this extra feature. I can pick up and WEP model without that IAB for $209 from a local tool supply store. However the local tool supply store doesn't carry the WEPA model, but AirGas does. AG wants $260 for the WEPA modal. My question is has anyone ever used a WEPA model and does it really reduce that much vibration. I have no problem dropping the extra $51 if this neat gadget works and lasts but I'd rather save the money if it is just a marketing ploy and a high likelihood of tool failure at that point. I am not looking for an economical tool, I am looking for the best so if someone happens to think of something they think is better I'd love to hear it! I am replacing a Milwaukee 4.5" grinder with a 6" grinder.

Metabo

I have 2 of the original wep and wouldnt trade them for the world dont know much about this new one with less vibration dont really trust it. If you remember the metabo with the variable speed it was just something else that broke. Go with the original with the locking trigger unless you absolutly have to have that **** paddle trigger at work like I do
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
    Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
    Stihl TS 420

[email protected]

Comment

Go with the original with the locking trigger
      Metabos are horrible, horrible grinders and Rezeppa should send me his obsolete "old style" Metabos for his own good!

Trust me, I used to work for the government.

Comment

I'm not sure I've ever used anything other than their paddle trigger. I attempted to look up some pics on the internet but couldn't find much of the grinder flipped over to show the locking trigger. My milwaukee has the paddle, although it locks, and I like it a lot. I don't suppose you have any pics of yours do you?

Metabos are horrible, horrible grinders and Rezeppa should send me his obsolete "old style" Metabos for his own good!
        Haha, good call. I like your thinking.

Comment

Hmmm....Metabos are great grinders durability wise. We have tried Dewalts, Milwaukees and Hiltis at work and they all burn up with any industrial use. I personally buy these for myself and use them at my own work. I love them. Very comfortable too....Dave http://www.stonetooling.com/Makita-4...p/80.34000.htm these are also good but I don't like this trigger style .. http://www.drumsanders.net/makitaang...cv-p-7877.html =Rezeppa;281197]I have 2 of the original wep and wouldnt trade them for the world dont know much about this new one with less vibration dont really trust it. If you remember the metabo with the variable speed it was just something else that broke. Go with the original with the locking trigger unless you absolutly have to have that **** paddle trigger at work like I do[/QUOTE]

Comment

had a few dewalts and still have a few more when they so called burn up i just go down to the lws store and buy a new set of bruches and they are good to go for a few more years. i did have one dewalt that was really old and the wire broke loose on the trigger switch but i took it apart and soldered it back togethers and it's still going.

Comment

No joke I have been using B&D from Walmart lately, have lasted as well as any i have ever used, for 30$ and still havnt had to replace one, outlasted several DeWalts. If they keep makingt them this good I am done with pricey grinders. They are suprisingly heavy, strip it out of the box and get some dirt on it and you soon forget the feeling like you were too cheap to buy a real tool.

Comment

by paddle trigger you mean the type you have to sqeaze to get the grinder to go on right and not the ones with the buttons'. around here we call the button or switch ones suicide grinders . with the paddle if you loose grip or it gets hung up on a piece of clothing you just let it go and it shuts off not the same with the switch type they keep grinding and grinding.alot of places will tell you to bring that thing home and never bring it back to work again.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
                  Hmmm....Metabos are great grinders durability wise. We have tried Dewalts, Milwaukees and Hiltis at work and they all burn up with any industrial use. I personally buy these for myself and use them at my own work. I love them. Very comfortable too....Dave http://www.stonetooling.com/Makita-4...p/80.34000.htm these are also good but I don't like this trigger style .. http://www.drumsanders.net/makitaang...cv-p-7877.html =Rezeppa;281197]I have 2 of the original wep and wouldnt trade them for the world dont know much about this new one with less vibration dont really trust it. If you remember the metabo with the variable speed it was just something else that broke. Go with the original with the locking trigger unless you absolutly have to have that **** paddle trigger at work like I do
                  [/QUOTE]

i also hae one of them makitas and i like it better than my dewalts because of weight they are some very good grinders haven't had any problems with it yet.

Comment

grinders

Metabo grinders look nice. But I figure in a year or so I would be buying another. That's cause grinders are li like cusumables. Until I started buying Milwaukee grinders. They come with a five year warranty.. I had a sswitch go out on my 7/9 inch. I called the 800 number. Thinking I would have to ship it to them. But since I live in Houston tx. They have a service center here. I took it in. One week later I get the call that my grinder is ready for pickup.. no charge... Their five warranty is true.....oh and the grinders are powerful.
                    Miller Dialarc 250
                    Miller Dynasty 200DX
                    Lincoln a/c 225
                    Smith propylene cutting torch
                    Milwaukee band saw
                    Milwaukee grinders
                    Rockwell chopsaw

Comment

Warranty

Warranty Only a plies to certain circumstances most don't warranty industrial work or professional work so the 5 year is no better than a one year in certain circumstances. Every one has had different experiences with grinders I have found the old metabos to hold up better than the newer ones but they are also heavyer. I"ve had the best experience with metabo grinders and I prefer suicide girders even though they are not aloud on job sites at most of the places i work.
                      Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
                      Maxstar 150STL
                      Metabos
                      Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
                      Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
                      Stihl TS 420

[email protected]

Comment

grinders.

I have burned through many grinders but my grinder of choice is Metabo WE 14-125 plus. it has a slow start and has a speed control for for wire or polishing. I own two for work and two for home. wouldn't buy anything else. although the new ones don't seem to last as long but i still have got 3 years out of my last one. It gets used
                        every day. My thing is right out of the box i cut the guard up and extend it to
                        accept a 6 inch cutting blade or sanding. the trick it not to force them. let them do the work. and you be safe and hold on.

Comment

Working...
                        X