Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wire melting near drive wheel????

Hi I just got a used Millermatic 135,
    When using flux core wire; if the tip bumps the metal, the wire on the spool will melt and lock up near the drive wheel........
    What causes this?
    How can I stop it?
    Will this only happen with flux core?

I have only used a flux core mig once before - hate it!!
    I will be getting a tank of gas and regular wire in the next couple weeks.
    Thanks, Josh
    The secret to life is to live ultimately by one's own hands and one's independent devices

your problem

solve the problem at the source...dont touch the tip to the workpiece...
    but it sounds like your wip is not properaly installed in the machine, so your ground is tracing back to where there would be an "arc gap" and heating up and melting at that point. check the set screw and connections between the wip and the machine.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller Spectrum 875 Plasma Cutter
    Miller Milermatic 135
    Ridgid Drill Press
    Ridgid Chop Saw
    36" Metal Break
    Harris Toarches
    English Wheel
    Ingersoll Rand, 18.1 cfm Compressor
    30 gal. Sand Blaster
    Planishing Hammer
    150lb Anvil
    10" Swing Logan Lathe

Comment

When you pull the trigger your contact tip is "hot". This happens on all mig guns, but in your case, you are using a gassless wire with the tip unprotected by a nozzle. you should be maintaining a min. 1/2" stick-out and you wouldn't bump your tip on the workpiece. This machine should have tip saver/short circuit protection built in which extends contact tip life and protects internal components from damage. If contact tip is shorted to workpiece, the unit shuts down the welding output then you have to release gun trigger to reset unit.
      Last edited by jpence38; 02-18-2012, 02:46 PM.
      JIM

Owner Operator of JNT Mobile Welding & Repair LLC
      Millermatic 350P Aluma Pro
      Dynasty 200DX
      Maxstar 150 STL
      Trailblazer 302
      Suitecase 12RC
      Extreme 12VS
      Extreme 8VS
      Spoolmatic 30A
      Miller HF251D-1
      Passport Plus
      Spoolmate 100
      Hypertherm Powermax 45 and 85
      Ingersoll Rand Engine Driven Compressor
      Dake 75 ton H-Frame Press
      JD Squared Model 32 Bender
      Miller Digital Elite

Comment

Thanks for the tip Jesse!!! "dont touch the tip to the workpiece..." LOL!!!

Ok 1st off I'm new to Flux core welding - I mig welded with Gas for for 11 years using a L-tec 225 + Miller 250.

I got this used so yes the WIP could be hooked up wrong -- whats a Wip?

Whats the tip protector look like?? it might be missing.
        The secret to life is to live ultimately by one's own hands and one's independent devices

Comment

WIP is your stinger and tip protector looks like a nozzle cup

Comment

Originally posted by sharky8js View Post
            I mig welded with Gas for for 11 years using a L-tec 225 + Miller 250.

I'm sorry, but if you have mig welded for 11 years and don't know what a wip and nozzle are, well..........

Wip = mig gun and attached cable that connects to welder
            Nozzle = Brass or Copper cover over contact tip for distributing shielding gas

just sayin'.........
            JIM

Dynasty 200DX
            Maxstar 150 STL
            Trailblazer 302
            Suitecase 12RC
            Extreme 12VS
            Extreme 8VS
            Spoolmatic 30A
            Miller HF251D-1
            Passport Plus
            Spoolmate 100
            Hypertherm Powermax 45 and 85
            Ingersoll Rand Engine Driven Compressor
            Dake 75 ton H-Frame Press
            JD Squared Model 32 Bender
            Miller Digital Elite

Comment

Originally posted by jpence38 View Post
              I'm sorry, but if you have mig welded for 11 years and don't know what a wip and nozzle are, well..........

just sayin'.........
              Thats funny...Bob
              Bob Wright

Comment

Wouldn't it be whip? I know the term, never thought it was spelled different though. Assumed is was called a WHIP because it looks like a WHIP. The guy came on here to answer a question. He didn't say he was a welder by trade, just that he has used solid wire mig for 11 years. That's all some people use and some people didn't have internet until recently. I'd say, before you even follow the instructions mentioned in the first couple posts that you should make sure the machine is hooked up electrode negative (ground positive). Then, make sure the gun is inserted all the way into the drive area(loosen the finger screw and make sure it is pushed in all the way). That's a great little machine......for the most part leave the voltage cranked at 10.....run .023 wire and gas and it's a dream. However it does run flux core as good as it can be run too.....Dave
                Originally posted by sharky8js View Post
                Thanks for the tip Jesse!!! "dont touch the tip to the workpiece..." LOL!!!

Ok 1st off I'm new to Flux core welding - I mig welded with Gas for for 11 years using a L-tec 225 + Miller 250.

Comment

I'm sorry I never heard the terminlogy "WIP" before! I just called it the gun assembly.
                  Yes I know what a nozzle is, but never called it a "tip protector" - I wasn't sure if it was the same thing.
                  Like I said; I'm new to flux core welding.
                  No I did not go to school for welding, and yes it was part of my job. I was also a machinest, electrican, plumber, and carpenter.
                  I learned brazing and stick in body shop class in high school.
                  I built floating fountains out of stainless angle using mig for 11 years 95-06
                  and in 2008 I learned how to tig weld - did it for about 6months untill I was laid off

I just downloaded a owners manual - I'll double check the polarity.

Other than that, I'm just going to scrap the flux core wire, and hook up gas and use regular wire.

Comment

Sharky,
                    I apologize if I offended you. Was just bustin' balls that's all.
                    Gasless flux-cored wire does not need a nozzle around the tip to distribute shielding gas. It has a black cover that goes over the gas diffuser to protect it but leaves the contact tip exposed. Which, as you have experienced, will short out when it touches the work piece. Also, gasless flux-cored wire is supposed to be run Electrode Negative. Gas-shielded flux-core and solid wire are supposed to be run Electrode Positive. I would say that you are on the right track with switching to solid wire.
                    JIM

Dynasty 200DX
                    Maxstar 150 STL
                    Trailblazer 302
                    Suitecase 12RC
                    Extreme 12VS
                    Extreme 8VS
                    Spoolmatic 30A
                    Miller HF251D-1
                    Passport Plus