Dynasty 350 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty 350 Question

I noticed the other day while doing some Aluminum TIG work a strange situation with the control on my Dynasty, and I would like to know if anyone else has noticed this.. With the control set to allow independent EN / EP values to be set I set the main amps to 200. Left the EN value at 200, but powered the EP value to 150... After doing a short test weld I went back and noticed EVERY VALUE had changed from where I set it.. At first I thought I was mistaken or must have not paid attention and not closed out the last value before changing the next so I went back and reset everything to the same numbers again... Done another test weld and rechecked everything to find they has all changed yet again !! They are changing by 10 or 12 amps one way or the other and I'm concerned that something is wrong with this machine that needs attention from Miller.. I looked in the manual to see if it explained why this would happen and found nothing.. Can anyone help me out here and does Miller have techs check these forums for such questions or do I need to contact them directly..

Thanks ..
    GUNNER

Contact us directly

Gunner,

If you have a direct question for a tech, you can email us at [email protected]. We'll be sure it gets directed to someone who can answer your questions.

Comment

I can say from my own experience that I dial EN to 350, then set the EP. When I lock them they come up with some average.

Are you saying that they continually change tthroughout the day?
      Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
      3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
      Miller Dynasty200DX
      ThermalArc 400 GTSW
      MillerMatic350P
      MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
      MKCobraMig260
      Lincoln SP-170T
      Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
      Hypertherm 1250
      Hypertherm 800
      PlasmaCam CNC cutter
      Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
      SiberHegner CNC Mill
      2 ea. Bridgeport
      LeBlond 15" Lathe
      Haberle 18" Cold Saw
      Doringer 14" Cold Saw
      6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

I also find that if I lock then adjust average amps the EN and EP hold the same values in relation to each other.
        Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
        3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
        Miller Dynasty200DX
        ThermalArc 400 GTSW
        MillerMatic350P
        MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
        MKCobraMig260
        Lincoln SP-170T
        Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
        Hypertherm 1250
        Hypertherm 800
        PlasmaCam CNC cutter
        Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
        SiberHegner CNC Mill
        2 ea. Bridgeport
        LeBlond 15" Lathe
        Haberle 18" Cold Saw
        Doringer 14" Cold Saw
        6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

Originally posted by shovelon View Post
          I can say from my own experience that I dial EN to 350, then set the EP. When I lock them they come up with some average.

Are you saying that they continually change tthroughout the day?
          Honestly I never checked them throughout the day just as I was setting up the cycle. It sounds like this is a normal thing though from the replies I read here. I wonder why it changes the values since that wouldn't exactly be what I call independent adjustments made by the user. That would be independent OK but made by the machine and that's not what Miller claims this does if I understand things correctly. I would expect when I set a value it would stay where I set it until I decide to adjust it. How are we suppose to decide what works if the machine is changing the values we assign? The way I see that is we can't ever be sure what we are welding at if the machine is deciding to change things up. How about you guys? Does this make sense to you ? That's one thing I never like about Lincoln machines ....they seem to have several canned cycles that some tech at the factory decided was optimal and locked the control down.. I learn by making mistakes and unless something I dial up is going to harm the machine I would rather it stay where I put it and let me see what works for me and what I'm doing. Nothing teaches a man faster than scrapping a piece of material because he's a dumb ***..LOL

Comment

Are you saying EVERY value, even freq and balance change or just the EP/EN values?

When setting the values of EN/EP to a split ratio, the average between the two will be displayed. If you change the main amps, the EN/EP values will change proportionally to keep the same split ratio.

So if you set EN at 200 and EP to 150, the average main amps would be somewhere around 185. If you then changed the main amps back to 200, the EN/EP would change to about 215 EN and 162 EP.
            This is normal.

A-
            Last edited by ASKANDY; 02-16-2012, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ASKANDY View Post
              Are you saying EVERY value, even freq and balance change or just the EP/EN values?

When setting the values of EN/EP to a split ratio, the average between the two will be displayed. If you change the main amps, the EN/EP values will change proportionally to keep the same split ratio.

So if you set EN at 200 and EP to 150, the average main amps would be somewhere around 185. If you then changed the main amps back to 200, the EN/EP would change to about 215 EN and 162 EP.
              This is normal.

A-
              NO just the main amp and the EN/EP values are changing.... My thought on lowering the EP is to put a little less heat into the material when it's not actually doing any welding and lessen the warping as much as possible... Am I thinking correctly on what this setting will do for me?

That's about what it's doing so if this is normal than good I don't have a problem with the machine.. But I don't understand why they average. Is it like a pulsing cycle where an average is obtained between the two setting? I guess I just answered my own question if it is, and that makes sense basing the knowledge I have on how the pulse cycle works.

My thought on lowering the EP is to put a little less heat into the material when it's not actually doing any welding and lessen the warping as much as possible... Am I thinking correctly on what this setting will do for me?

While I have someone from Miller active on this thread I would like to ask if the Dynasty will work properly running off a rotary phase converter? I would like to enjoy the full capabilities of my machine but don't have 3 phase at my location and can't get it unless it's from a rotary converter. Someone told me if I make sure and keep the two true legs always matched to the black and white all the way through and use the manufactured leg on the red wire it should work without issue. I don't know enough about that to take a chance on blowing up a board in this very expensive machine. Can you let me know about that please I would like to get all she has to give in case I need it for some thick Aluminum at some point like a car block , cylinder heads etc...
              Last edited by Gunner12R; 02-16-2012, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Sounds like everything you are seeing with your machine is normal.

Lowering the EP will not reduce the heat to the weld material. It only reduces the heat applied to the torch since the EP side of the AC affects only the cleaning cycle of the weld, not the penetration which is a function of the EN.

If you want to reduce total heat or reduce warpage, you need to use the pulser.

The pulser will run from a high amp to a low background amp.

Try a setting of .9 to 1.2 pulses per second, a 55% peak time, and 25-30% background.

This will give you time to add filler on the high pulse and move the torch on the low or background.

If you need more time, just up the peak time % to 60 or 65%.

As far as the phase converter, the short answer is yes, the machine will run but the long answer is No, you won't see any benefit from it since the 3rd leg of the 3 phase from the converter is not a full amp supply and will not affect the duty cycle much.
                This is why, even with rotory phase converters, electric motors are still de-rated sometimes up to 30% using phase converters depending on the quality and size of the converter.
                You'd have to get a pretty good size converter. Maybe even a 15HP.

If you are worried about the capabilities of the machine at high amps, don't. I have a 60A single phase breaker and weld up all the alum heads, blocks and anything else that comes through the door.

My buddy down in Texas fixes all the blown up top fuel alum blocks with one on single phase too. Your hand will run out of duty cycle before the machine

Andy

Comment

Thank You Andy!!!!

Having this information available to all of us is so much better than taking it offline..... This way other Dynasty 350 owners like myself will be better informed and have a better understanding of the machines operation and theory....

I have had mine for a few years now and still am learning about it.... still hope that somebody would write that Dynasty Book that we have been talking about for the last few years...... It would be a real boon to new Dynasty users... Think I have gotten past an absolute need for one but would still probably buy a copy..... as I am sure that there are a lot of subleties that I still have not grasped.....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                  Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Thank you as well...... I have and do use the pulse cycle and it works great although I have a pulse cycle built into my pedal foot and have for many years!! LOL !!! I have always used my pedal as a pulser but I will say it's nice to rest my foot now !!! How about the really high pulsing rates? When you are up past say 30 and going higher? Do these help much on the issue of keeping heat out of the part? I suppose I could run some test on come scrap pieces and check with my heat gun for max build up as long as I keep the test pieces uniform for size and material.. It would give an accurate result and real world number.. Still asking someone that has probably already done this is the short and lazy man's way to finding information ... LOL !!! The older I get the lazier I become I guess but I still realize nothing beating hands on learning... The pulser also works great for teaching someone to TIG ... My wife want to learn how to TIG weld and the pulser is helping her develop her timing and rhythm much better than watching me trying to figure it all out.. I set the machine and lay down a weld to show her what the setting is capable of doing them set her down and walk away allowing her to figure it out.. She's actually doing quite well and I contribute a lot of that to the pulse cycle showing her exactly when it's time to add filler and mover the torch...

Over all I love this machine and have NO REGRETS about owning it.. Several of my peers that also own welding shops have made comments about the high cost of the Dynasty but once I point out the saving on the Electric bill monthly it gives you right out of the gate and the Superior Welds it makes they see the light and all want to step up !! It's a beast !!!

Comment

Right after I purchased mine within a week or two there was a brand new Dynasty 700 that sold on eBay for $7,000.00 range I was sick!! Already spent my cash on this machine and could have owned the Mac Daddy Dynasty for about the same coin !! Timing is everything as they say !!! Having 400 AMPs on single phase would be amazing !!!!!!!!!

Comment

Running a Dynasty 350 on a phase converter

I was exploring a similar question in an earlier post.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ase+converters

Conclusions:
                        1. Some rotary phase converters will get smoked if you run a welder on them. (Check out Country Metals post #14 - 18)
                        2. I believe that certain brand rotary phase converters such as American Rotary would work. I base this on the fact that they sell about 4 a week for welders. Unfortunately I don't have and couldn't get any first hand positive experience from anyone on the forum.
                        3. A digital phase perfect phase converter should work fine. (Check out Cruizer's comments in post #12)
                        4. The digital phase converter should boost your duty cycle, because your welder will see three phase instead of single phase. The voltage on the three legs is equal within a few volts and the phase angle is within a few degrees of 120 degrees.
                        5. Looking at the specifications on the New Dynasty 280 it looks like Miller used larger input diodes so the duty cycle on this machine isn't derated much when used with single phase compared to three phase power. A welder with higher capacity input diodes such as this one wouldn't benefit enough from a three phase converter to justify the cost. Maybe Miller will put higher capacity input diodes on the Dynasty 350 some day to avoid this issue.
                        6. Unless your ambient temperature is very high and your current demands are also high it is likely that the Dynasty 350 would work with a reasonable duty cycle on single phase. (Check out FusionKing's post #27)

Don
                        Miller Thunderbolt
                        Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
                        Miller Dynasty 200DX
                        Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
                        Lincoln LE 31 MP
                        Lincoln 210 MP
                        Clausing/Colchester 15" Lathe
                        16" DuAll Saw
                        15" Drill Press
                        7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
                        20 Ton Arbor Press
                        Bridgeport

Comment

Thank you Don52 for the link to that very eye opening thread! It was my understanding that the Dynasty350 wouldn't reach full amps on single phase only like 225 or something like that? But after reading all this I now understand it to be different.. It will reach max amps however the duty cycle is just not as high on single phase? Am I understanding this right? If so I'll abandon the Rotary converter idea all together !!

I find this forum very helpful and I want to thank everyone that has posted useful information to my thread ! Thank You!!

Comment

You are correct, it will do max amps on single phase.
                            You just need enough service to handle it. Amp requirements are higher for single phase over three.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                            Miller WC-115-A
                            Miller Spectrum 300
                            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                              You are correct, it will do max amps on single phase.
                              You just need enough service to handle it. Amp requirements are higher for single phase over three.
                              Again thanks to everyone that replied to my questions.. I'm loving my Dynasty even more after finding out it can reach MAX amps without being on 3 phase !! I have it on 50 amp breaker and a #10 Cord at the present time... The cord may need upgraded but that's not a huge issue !! WHOOOO HOOOOO !!!!
                              Last edited by Gunner12R; 02-17-2012, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X