****ed ole 5p rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ****ed ole 5p rod

how badly will paint and millscale mess up the interior side of a 5p root on pipe? i dont have much experience with stick roots just enough to get by.

o
    Originally posted by silveradoman View Post
    how badly will paint and millscale mess up the interior side of a 5p root on pipe? i dont have much experience with stick roots just enough to get by.
    It would be hard to quantify the answer to your question.

The easy answer is any contamination is bad and more is worse.

When prepping joints the usual procedure is to clean the pipe one inch back from the joint.

Griff

Comment

thanks it got my money today. i dont run much 5p on pipe. my boss has been on my case about taking this pipe test. i put the bead in and i was like **** yeah then i knocked the slag off and i had undercut. good peno just a little undercut. i didnt clean the pipe like i do when im tigging ( what i usually do) oh well gotta pay my dues i reckon. the filler and cap were pretty good though.

Comment

it's always good to have clean metal to weld to but if it's just a regular pipe test without xray it might not hurt you as bad as it would if the xrayed it .but as a good rule of thumb always clean the pipe or plate if your testing you don't want anything working against you when taking test.

Comment

Working...
        X