New to Aluminum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Aluminum.

I'm using a Miller 211, .30 wire, wire speed 90, voltage at 10, argon is around 35-40. I understand from other threads I need to be lower on the gas. And I've burnt through 4 tips. I assume the gun shroud us too close the aluminum.

Of course because I'm a rookie the welds are porous, black and very inconsistent. This is best I can get so far. I've tried to clean material but having never done it before I don't know how thorough to be with the stainless brush/acetone. Sure could use some coaching.
    Attached Files

I think this link will get you going in the right direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_MiG...feature=relmfu
    Last edited by Dipsomaniac; 01-25-2012, 09:13 PM. Reason: Wrong link.

Comment

Need way more info.

Like what alloy wire. What orifice diameter. What thickness plate. What stickout. What alloy plate.

20 to 25 CFH argon is more in the range for gas. Better too little than too much. Gas costs money.
      Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
      3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
      Miller Dynasty200DX
      ThermalArc 400 GTSW
      MillerMatic350P
      MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
      MKCobraMig260
      Lincoln SP-170T
      Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
      Hypertherm 1250
      Hypertherm 800
      PlasmaCam CNC cutter
      Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
      SiberHegner CNC Mill
      2 ea. Bridgeport
      LeBlond 15" Lathe
      Haberle 18" Cold Saw
      Doringer 14" Cold Saw
      6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

You DO have a spoolgun don't you? If so which one? If you are just running it thru the MIG gun, that could cause a lot of your problems with the tips burning back.

Comment

No. I knew enough to buy a spool gun. MILLER 100 SERIES. Since posting I have begun to wonder about my argon cfh. Also, is it necessary to open the tank valve fully or is half open sufficient.

Comment

[QUOTE=Aggieclimber;279521 Also, is it necessary to open the tank valve fully or is half open sufficient.[/QUOTE]

Always open the valve fully.... you do not want to partially open the valve like a garden hose to try and restrict gas flow.... it does no good at 3000psi...... that is why you have a regulator... let it do it's job....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
            Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

H80N,
              Thanks. Well, I've tried everything, I think. Nothing I've produced even remotely resembles what I see online. Even the novice AL welding I've seen is miles ahead of mine. Just don't have a feel for a starting point. Is it the Aluminum stock Im using? Too much voltage? Too slow wire speed? Bad Argon? Im at a loss. Thinking of hiring a welder to come out and walk me through it.

Comment

looked at your pic.... pretty bad.. looks like it is burning up

are you sure that you are using PURE Argon?? not the mix that you would use for steel....

is this being done in a place where there is no wind or even breeze??? the shielding gas needs to be undisturbed....... too much gas is as bad as too little... too much makes turbulence that pulls in air... too little and there is not enough coverage....

if you have not already done so... take some time to read and watch the MIG stuff in the resources section..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ur-skills/mig/

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 200

Comment

Just a guess to help you out.....try around 24-26 volts.....maybe 4.5-5ish on the wire speed(assuming the spool gun is similar to mine). I use 15-25 cfh depending on breeze. I almost always use spray arc with aluminum....reason for the higher voltage setting. Next, make sure you snip the wire every time you start an arc. I almost always push the gun with aluminum otherwise gas coverage sux and the weld turns black. I keep two fingers on the wire speed and fine tune as I weld. Hope this helps......oh, and you'll be moving pretty fast...
                  Originally posted by Aggieclimber View Post
                  I'm using a Miller 211, .30 wire, wire speed 90, voltage at 10, argon is around 35-40. I understand from other threads I need to be lower on the gas. And I've burnt through 4 tips. I assume the gun shroud us too close the aluminum.

Of course because I'm a rookie the welds are porous, black and very inconsistent. This is best I can get so far. I've tried to clean material but having never done it before I don't know how thorough to be with the stainless brush/acetone. Sure could use some coaching.

Comment

Just to confirm...

You are running PURE ARGON right....??

AND

You are running the settings for that spoolgun for your MM211 as per the operations section, parameters chart in the manual??.....Right??.
                    link below

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o234016f_mil.pdf

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 200

Comment

Thinking of hiring a welder to come out and walk me through it.
                      Where are you at? I am sure someone here would help you out. If you need to hop up your spoolgun give me a yell i can make it run better...Bob
                      Bob Wright

Comment

All great advice. Thanks. I am pushing for sure. The guy at the welder supply said it was 100% Argon. This spray arc concept is fuzzy for me. Guess I need to read up online some more. I would appreciate any simple explanations.

Comment

This spray arc concept is fuzzy for me. Guess I need to read up online some more. I would appreciate any simple explanations.
                          Don't get to tied up trying to spray weld because with your welder it isn't going to happen. Short circuit is what you will be doing. Not enough volts to spray...Bob
                          Bob Wright

Comment

I work as civilian at a Navy shipyard and HATE mig welding aluminum. They use miller XTreme suitcases with no spool gun. The wire I used last time was 1/16 and I had to weld verticals on 1/4" flat bars. We also have to use 100% helium for shielding because it gets better penetration. What a pain in the a$$.

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                              Always open the valve fully.... you do not want to partially open the valve like a garden hose to try and restrict gas flow.... it does no good at 3000psi...... that is why you have a regulator... let it do it's job....
                              DITTO: PLUS I was told that a partial open valve will leak . Always back seat valves except acetylene .

Comment

Working...
                              X