generator removal for blue star 6000 w Honda engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• generator removal for blue star 6000 w Honda engine

I have a Miller Blue Star 6000 with a Honda engine.
    The fan assy' at front of generator evidently has a bad bearing or has come loose and is making one heck of a racket. I am trying to take it down and have removed the generators end cap, pulled the rotor bearing on the end and now am scratching my head.
    How do I continue to break this down to get to the front of the engine to access the fan on the generators' rotor shaft??.

Not sure about the Blue Star as I don't think I've ever even looked at one, but we just finished re-building the engine of a Bobcat 225NT with an Onan engine. On the Bobcat the end cap of the generator needed to be removed. Then the brush assembly had to come off. Then the stator portion of the generator was removed, leaving the armature of the generator completely exposed and hanging from the motor shaft. The armature must then be un-threaded from the motor crankshaft. You have to prevent the crankshaft from turning while you turn the armature shaft using a wrench on two flats in the armature shaft. The generator has only one bearing, at the tail end. The motor bearings support the front end of the armature. If your Blue Star is similar you should be able to work on the fan after you reach this point.

I hope this helps,

Charley
    Last edited by CharleyL; 01-22-2012, 03:06 PM.
    2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
    2 O/A torch sets
    DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
    DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
    DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
    Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
    Milwaukee 9" Grinder
    2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
    Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
    Too many hand tools

Comment

You need a long theaded red-rod to go down the center of the rotor. I think its 3/8"

It'll thread into the end of the rotor and then all you do is turn the rod untill it pushes the rotor off the engine shaft. no other way to do it.

Comment

Generator removal from Miller blue star 6000

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
        You need a long theaded red-rod to go down the center of the rotor. I think its 3/8"

It'll thread into the end of the rotor and then all you do is turn the rod untill it pushes the rotor off the engine shaft. no other way to do it.
        Thanks Cruizer,

If you dont mind could you elaborate a little on what you mean by a " red-rod"??

When I dissasembled the end cap- there was a long bolt that came off and ran down the inside of the rotor shaft. Is that where I am going to insert this 3/8 red-rod??
        I noticed that the inside if the rotor shaft is threaded.......about how long does this rod need to be to get the job done?

Thanks again,

Comment

sorry Red-E-Rod, basically a long threaded rod. And the bolt you took out of the rotor tightens the rotor to the engine. You want the next size up to push the rotor off the shaft.

Comment

I have the same problem I just wa t to remove the engine from the generator so I can get a new engine do I have to do the same procedure

Comment

Working...
            X