product ideas for a weld shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• product ideas for a weld shop?

I have a portable welding company right now. I would like to have a shop and run still run the portable welding out of that. But I was thinking I need a product to make! Or do I try and get piece work from machine shops?

You could make some cooking grills to put on display/sale, and offer to build something custom if desired. Commercially available one always leave something to be desired, especially when it comes to metal thickness for longevity. These could all be done in the shop.
    Steps or stairs for new mobile homes, most only come with one set of temporary steps. I built a set to get into my new home(I'll get some pix after the sun gets up later today) There is a 6X6 platform at the top with a roof, and railings around.These will probably outlast the house. I used stick and FCAW on this. These would have to be built on-site, as they would be too cumbersome and heavy to move after completion. Some things could be prefabbed in the shop with final assembly on-site. That's where your portability comes in handy. Maybe advertise as Custom on-site welding service for things of this nature.
    You could build custom racks for trucks, these could be made in the shop and painted.
    I've seen fire rings for sale locally that have fairly high price tags on them for the amount of material in them, but then your time building them is worth something. A plasma cutter would be handy for these.
    Patio furniture is another possibility. Hope this gives you a few ideas.

Comment

Thanks that really helps a lot. I like the idea about mobile home steps I live in Indiana where RV manufacturing is everywhere. I also like the idea on custom portable welding

Comment

Make twisted metal projects with spring coming you will be busy. Here are some ideas. http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...umid=24&page=2 ...Bob
        Bob Wright

Comment

Thanks for tne ideas im really going to try some of these out!

Comment

i think that you will discover the same thing that i did with making a product to stimulate business, you spend way too much time on a product that will not bring in the money equal to the time spent, mayby it is me, but i will not let a piece leave my shop until there are no scratch hazards on them, i build these bird feeders, simple things, but by the time i grind or file the edges, remove all spatter, and run your hand all over it to make sure that no one will get cut, i find that way too much time is spent for a low dollar product. as i said , it might be me being too ****, i dont want any law suits, i was at tractor supply, there was this hand dolly, welding spatter all over the thing, none of it removed, paint was sprayed right over the spatter, it was hard to get a grip without drawing blood, and this thing was for sale.,,, my point being, the small guy has to really CYA in todays world

Comment

Good point, I have been thinking about making utility trailers but the liability would be crazy.

Comment

Here's a picture of the steps I was talking about. Still need to finish adding the in fill piece on the railings.Click image for larger version

Name:	0114121217a.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	512398Click image for larger version

Name:	green steps.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	512400Just ignore the pic of the weld trailer, though that is the rig that did all the main structural on this project, I used FCAW for the thinner tubing in the railings and roof supports.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Bistineau; 01-15-2012, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X