auto darkening helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto darkening helmet

need an advice on which helmet is the best buypls consider the quality and pricethnks

IMHO......Miller Big window elite was my favorite. Light and functional. Jackson helmets in general are heavy and take a **** way too often for my wallet. Speedglas makes awesome helmets. The Chicago electric helmet is so/so (harbor freight I believe)....decent bang for the bug but far from top of the line. If I were to buy another helmet it would be Miller or Speedglas. Dave

Comment

Look at a Jackson Tru-sight. All the hoods are expensive, but headgear is superior in Jackson. Trusight gives an amber color, recognition and clarity is truly above the rest. Controls are also on bottom where they belong.

Comment

Depending upon what you want to spend and its intended use. I love my Miller Digital Elite, in part because the LWS always has parts on hand for it. If I owned a Speedglas or other brand they would have to order replacement lenses, gaskets, headgear, whatever.
        Just something to consider.
        Miller Syncrowave 200
        Homemade Water Cooler
        130XP MIG
        Spectrum 375
        60 year old Logan Lathe
        Select Machine and Tool Mill
        More stuff than I can keep track of..

Comment

The Miller Digital Elite is my pick. Wore a speedglass for years then went to the Miller. Wouldn't be without it now. The shade selection and settings are great on the Miller helmet.

Comment

Harbor Freight Auto-Darkening. $59.99. When you go in, make sure you get the sales paper and get the 20% off coupon expires 5/8/12. $48

Comment

hoods

what about the Lincoln electric Viking series I just bought the new Viking 3350 series hopefully have it by Tuesday it has the biggest viewing area that I have ever seen for an auto dark Hood. Does any have this Hood?

Comment

I'll throw in my vote for the Miller Digital Elite. I had a Speedglas, sold it and bought the Elite. Much clearer and better optics.

Comment

I've had a Big Window Elite since 2004 now. It has been a great helmet and the only things I've had to deal with was replacing batteries, cover plates and one headgear. So far it has worked well for me 95% of the time. My only wish for this helmet would be lower shade selection. Sometimes I do low amp TIG welding and need to go below a 9 shade which is why I may in the near future add an Optrel Satelite to my equipment list. Miller hit a home run with their Big Window Elite series in my book!!!
                  Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
                  Miller 340A/BP
                  Victor O/A torches
                  Lincoln SP125
                  Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
                  78 GS1000
                  82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

Miller Pro Hobby for me. I wear one 8 hours a day 5 days a week welding flux core...Bob
                    Bob Wright

Comment

Pick one that you like.

I have used Jackson, Miller and mostly Speedglas. When I wasn't using a Speedglas I missed it. I first started off with the Speedglas 9000 series (with adflo for stainless) with my first welding job. Jobs after that normally werent Speedglas.

The job before the one that I am at now required me to have my own helmet this time, first time that one wasnt supplied for me. They did a lot of small parts so I know that I need a nice one. I went with the Speedglas 9100XX. Love the thing!! Very comftorable and light. Huge window. I had my eye on this one for a while and knew that I would have to have it one day so I picked it up. $450 though, but better than getting a helmet to "get me by" or what ever. Then I would have a lot more into it.

I probably dont need something that nice now as I do not weld all day long like I did before, but I still love it. And Im not like some other guys, I take care of it and know where it is so it doesnt get crushed. Like one guy told me, "They all crush the same." So if your accident prone, keep that in mind.

Guys I work with like their Millers, both digital and ones with the knobs. Easier on the price and a little easier finding replacement lenses for them at the shop. They supply the 9000 series but not my 9100 series replacement lenses. I have to go get my own and then they reemberce me. Hobart is the generic of Miller, just diffent look. Hope this helps!!

Comment

I use the Miller Performance, it's been great for the last 5 yrs., I also have the new Lincoln Viking helmet that I recieved for Free when I bought my latest Lincoln Power Mig 180C October, 2011 .

So far I prefere my Miller helmet over the Lincoln helmet, but both are Good !!!

Free is Free. lol.
                        ...........Norm
                        www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

helmet

Miller Elite is the best ever! Had many others. 3M Speedglass is no where as good. One day, I will built one with a button on each side. One for lights and the other for grind mode.
                          Millermatic 210
                          Syncrowave 200
                          Spectrum 625 X-treme
                          Hobart Champion 16 W/
                          Miller 8VS Suitcase
                          Miller 3035 Spool Gun
                          Tons of Tools
                          Microwave
                          Laptop and Printer
                          Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

Comment

Originally posted by lanceman73 View Post
                            miller elite is the best ever! Had many others. 3m speedglass is no where as good. One day, i will built one with a button on each side. One for lights and the other for grind mode.
                            me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Miller elite

Comment

For me it depends on what type of welding I am doing. At home I love my miller digital elite, its fast for fit up and tack welds. Tig and stick. I didn't realize this hood is not recomended for over head stick welding. When the sparks are falling on the hood it started to melt the plastic lip. Then I read into it. It's when I read the sticker inside the hood. Now I'm using old school pipeliner fiber metal hood with a fixed gold lens. Also have a fiber metal tiger 906 flip up lens. My Arc One solar battery is also a good choice for a budget auto darking hood.
                              Miller Dialarc 250
                              Miller Dynasty 200DX
                              Lincoln a/c 225
                              Smith propylene cutting torch
                              Milwaukee band saw
                              Milwaukee grinders
                              Rockwell chopsaw

Comment

Working...
                              X