Help with power cord install for Miller Thunderbolt AC/CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with power cord install for Miller Thunderbolt AC/CD

I am not sure where to attach the three wires(white, black, and green) internally within the box. I have located the back of the switch, the fan andtwo copper wires coming off the top coil that terminate at the switch. Where doI go from here?

The machine I purchased came without a power cord so I decided I wanted to wireit with a 6-3 SO cord so that I could use it at home on a 30 amp dryer receptacleand on a 50 amp receptacle at another shop.

The plug end is a dual 30A - 50A plug that allows for appropriate blades to beswapped out depending on the receptial to be used.

here is a link to the manual... hope that helps..

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o316g_mil.pdf

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Pics of my Thunderbolt

I attached some pics that may help you out.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2774.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	512328Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2775.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	512329Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2776.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	512330Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2777.jpg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	512331
      Gordie -- "I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Comment

Wiring

Nikesky,

Mine is similar to yours regarding the copper wire coming off the top coil and the white wire paired with it that goes to the fan. On my machine (as it appear on yours) they are mounted on the top right stud.

However, my black fan wire is paired with the copper wire coming from the bottom coil and is occuping the top left stud.

Should I then move the black-copper wire pair to the bottom right stud?

I am trying to setup 115/230 Volts using page 9's 230V connection diagram.

Comment

Other wires

And it appears that your red wire (occuping the top left post) is the equivlent to my white wire. This corresponds with the diagram

Comment

The switch is DPST. That is to say Double Pole - Single Throw. My cord was replaced with a longer one by myself many years ago now.
            Power goes to one side of the switch.
            You should not use white (neutral) to carry power. I cut the white off on this cord and use red and black for hot leads (top and bottom of switch) and the green loops back and connects to ground.
            Not sure about 115V on this. Think the fan is 220 like the rest of the welder and the supply cord is 220V measured from red to black.

You can always check it out without the fan (briefly) and see how things work.

YMMV, have fun.
            Gordie -- "I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Comment

The fan is 240, I didn't look at all the diagrams here but,,, in this type of machine the power goes thru the switch, this switch is a disconnect for the unit. There are no 120V in it, this is not a 120/240 cord. If you have to buy wire a number 10 is fine for a cord.
              Last edited by Sberry; 01-03-2012, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Problem Solved

I was able to wire it and get it running; output voltage is within range. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                X