Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gramps gave me a new welder - is it worth anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gramps gave me a new welder - is it worth anything?

My grandfather passed away and I was given his old welder. I have done some very basic welding in my past with a cheap Lincoln ARC, but have no knowledge of
    TIG. Is this welder worth anything or do I scrap it for copper?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20111231-00138.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	530494

Thats a nice old AC/DC Tig/stick welder. It should work very well...Bob
    Looks like an 1984 or '85 model. http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o302j_mil.pdf Did you get a torch or leads with it? and a bottle.
    Last edited by aametalmaster; 01-01-2012, 06:42 AM. Reason: added date
    Bob Wright

Comment

What's it worth? if I were to try to sell it?

Comment

Maybe 300-500 bucks depending on what is with it just my guess. And it depends on where you are for shipping or picking up...Bob
        Bob Wright

Comment

Its way better than an AC buzzer thats for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
            Its way better than an AC buzzer thats for sure.
            Yup! if it was handed down to me, I'd unplug the buzzer and plug that miller in...
            Bobcat 225NT
            Cutmaster 52
            Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
            Caterpillar TH63
            '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

You mentioned that you had done some basic welding in the past. Have you given it thought of keeping the machine and learning serious welding and making a buck off of it? Anything in this world is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and based on the age of the machine, I am sure you would make more money doing odd jobs here and there with it, than what someone is willing to pay you to buy it from you.

Also, does the machine have a gas hook-up on the back of it. I did not see one based on the picture you supplied.
              Certs:
              1/8 and 5/32 7018/11018 all positions,
              .045 ER70S/ER100S Spray transfer. Flat, Horizontal and Overhead.
              1/16th E71T-1/E101T-1 all positions
              .045 E71T-1 thin work all positions

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                Looks like an 1984 or '85 model. http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o302j_mil.pdf Did you get a torch or leads with it? and a bottle.
                Is the gas hook up on the back of the machine? I did not see one on the front.
                Certs:

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                  One more question. Would the machine absolutely need a remote plug in to operate the Tig torch? Or could the OP treat it like a scratch start/lift.
                  Certs:

Comment

What would be wrong with keeping something that was left to you by Grandpa? For old time's sake or sentimental value or something like that.
                    Gordie -- "I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Comment

Not hf!!

This is a very simple AC/DC stick machine..... That is it!!!

NO HF

NO Contactor

NO Amperage control

NO Gas Solenoid

Pretty much just a slightly fancier AC/DC Thunderbolt...

And..... you could scratch TIG with it just as you could with an AC/DC Thunderbolt..... or any other stick welder/buzzbox if you added enough accessories........

"READ The Manual" before you head off into the sunset dreaming of Fantasy junction......
                      Last edited by H80N; 01-01-2012, 09:56 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                        This is a very simple AC/DC stick machine..... That is it!!!

NO HF

NO Contactor

NO Amperage control

NO Gas Solenoid

Pretty much just a slightly fancier AC/DC Thunderbolt...

And..... you could scratch TIG with it just as you could with an AC/DC Thunderbolt..... or any other stick welder/buzzbox if you added enough accessories........

"READ The Manual" before you head off into the sunset dreaming of Fantasy junction......
                        ya. thanks.
                        Certs:

Comment

Now that he has a 230v machine he is probably going to build a 10,000# trailer, and then sell it and with the proceeds buy a tig torch for it and start building headers and intake manifolds to make money until he gets out of high school, maybe motorcycles too.

Seriously, consider keeping it, it is a good machine. I have very little of my grandfathers and what I do have I treasure.

Comment

Guys - thanks for all of the suggestions. You have got me thinking.

1. No gas hookup on the back.

2. Can I use it to ARC without gas?

3. It is wired for 460v. I only have 230 in my garage. Can it be wired for 230?

4. Can I use the leads from my Lincoln ARC?

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
                              Now that he has a 230v machine he is probably going to build a 10,000# trailer,

Seriously, consider keeping it, it is a good machine. I have very little of my grandfathers and what I do have I treasure.
                              At least he is starting with a good 220v welder and not a Horriable Fright 125v POS. I would keep it also. I still have my dads 1964 Westinghouse welder thats prob woth more for the copper inside but why sell it

Do you have cables for it to use as a stick machine?
                              ...Bob
                              Bob Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X