Shielding Gas on MM350 Late To Lunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shielding Gas on MM350 Late To Lunch

At work we were having problems with the original Bernard Q400 gun that came new with the MM350. I ordered a New Q400 but the powers that be decided to get the Q300 for cost savings. I don't think because it is a smaller rated gun that is causing this problem, because it did not do it after it was installed. Now a week later I have to run about 3-4 inches of wire out before the gas solenoid opens and there is shielding gas. I have removed and reinstalled the new gun several times hoping to find something that was overlooked, but nothing. Can anyone tell me if when the solenoid is going South they will stick momentarily, or might it be something else. The guy on days told me that he installed a known full cylinder of C25 without any change in the delay........................thanks.

Pat
    I have a MM350P and have never seen that type of problem with gas solenoid timing..... I do know that it is possible to inadvertantly goof up the timers while trying to reset the machine to factory defaults..... maybe somebody reset or othewise altered timer settings during a system reset attempt????
    Wish I had a better answer... hope that somebody with more in depth programming info on that machine like Cruizer or FusionKing has a better answer....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

H80N,

Thank you for the response and the comment about resetting. It is very possible that someone was doinking around with the settings because the welder information folder was on the table....nothing put back as usual. I wish we had the pulse but $$$$$. Tonight I will grab the manual an see if it is a programming issue.......................thanks again.

Comment

Pat
        here is the manual...

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1327ag_mil.pdf

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Don't think its a setup issue, though you can pull a reset in case there is a glitch.

I'd be thinking that you'all put teflon tape on the brass connections, some of it came off and plugged the machine inlet screen, Take the gas line off the machine and peer into that fitting.

Comment

H80N,

Thank you for the manual link. Because we are short of people due to the holidays and vacations, we were told to just focus on PM's and breakdowns. Towards the end of the shift I did remove the housing and was totally grossed out by all the metal and regular dust built up on the inside. Records show it was cleaned and gone over on 11-17-11. I left it that way so the shift that looked the unit over could see that there is a little more to cleaning than wiping the outside off with a rag.

cruizer,

Thanks for the info about the inlet screen. If it looks even slightly like the inside of the unit, that may be a good starting point. As far as Teflon tape, none used. I am probably just gonna waste my time, but I think I will put the old gun back on to see if the problem still exists. But like I stated earlier, the new gun ran fine for a while, and may still be running fine. The welder is located in a fairly small confined area. Because of this and the closeness to any grinding that takes place, I have on numerous occasions asked the people using the unit to shut it off so it is not sucking in the metal dust and abrasive particles from grinding....some do, some don't. The reason I mention the dust is because there is plenty of opportunity for dust or other junk to get introduced into the system when the cylinders are changed. Some day's I am so tempted to slap some of them beside the head, but my 5'6" 125 pound carcass is not much of a match for these gorillas.

Comment

Take thge gun comnpletely out and then trigger the machine, and see if you hear the gas immediately. A sticking solenoid is certaintly possible, and I have seen too much pressure (i.e. leaking regulator) on valves cause them to "bind". With the gun out, and gas flowing, un-trigger, and then imediately re-trigger to see if the delay is the same. And of course, the best method for testing is to monitor the voltage to the solenoid.

Comment

Working...
              X