arc welder to tig welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arc welder to tig welder

can an arc welder be converted to weld tig?

Originally posted by jeb2 View Post
    can an arc welder be converted to weld tig?
    the quick answer is yes but not a very good one.....................
    there are lots of old threads on the subject .... scratch tig... hf boxes and homemade diy stuff.... take some time and research the archive..................

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Yes it can. You basically need the tig torch, your argon, and the connector that your stinger attaches too. You could go to your local welding shop (air liquide, praxair, boc gases) and I'm sure they will be willing to help you out. Good luck.

Comment

jeb2,

Yes, it can be done but..............................

ok - I'll probably get laughed at by the pros on the forum but I got a call to do a bit of stainless work at a job where there was only 120 VAC available.
        I had 5 hours to do the repair until the restaurant opened.
        I'm a hobby, amateur tigger and I do all my jobs in my garage so I was truly worried about this "field work" job.
        Guess the owner couldn't find a qualified welder in time.

I borrowed a friend's 120 VAC DC inverter welder from a friend and adapted my 35 year old Airco air cooled tig torch to work with it.
        This is a (very) cheap copy (as is all HF stuff) of a DC inverter arc welder.

Dragged the set-up and my 336 cu ft argon tank to the job.
        Had to scratch start the arc and no current control but I managed to do ok.
        I did find a tip which I will pass on for what it's worth.
        The HF welder is designed for stick so I found that my tungsten would stick every time I tried to start an arc.
        Got a piece of graphite block I had which i was planning to use for EDM electrodes and clamped it next to the weld area.
        Scratch started the arc on the graphite and walked it to the work area.
        No sticking !
        I'm guessing that piece of copper roof flashing might also work.
        Hokey and half-azzed, but I was in a bind.
        Anyway, the work was done in time and I was happy.

I'm sure the others on this forum are used to having 4 to 5 people looking over your shoulder while you work, but I was terrified.
        They had a guy in to sand and polish my welds to keep the board of health inspector happy after I was done.
        Didn't wet my pants but it was close.

If I have to do more light work like this, I will either look into a Dynasty 200 or pass on these jobs..............................

I realized after I finished this job that how lucky I am to have good quality Miller equipment made in the USA where I can count on reliable performance.

Name 80 Amp Inverter Arc Welder
        SKU 91110
        Brand Chicago Electric Welding Systems
        Full Load Amps 20
        Output Amps 80
        Duty Cycle 35% at 80 amps, 60% at 65 amps, 100% at 50 amps
        Welding Capacity 6 gauge steel
        Shipping Volume 0.360
        Voltage 120
        Phase 1
        Manufacturer Warranty Detail
        We guarantee this product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship 90 days from the date of purchase. Limitations apply.
        Attached Files
        Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

those little inverters make a pretty decent DC scratch TIG machine... in europe they are frequently sold with a TIG torch bundled... as a package.... this is not a new discovery....

I have a little 90 amp Italian Cebora DC Inverter TIG that I bought new about 10 years ago.... it works fine for low amperage DC scratch TIG.... those have been around for a really long time...
          Last edited by H80N; 12-21-2011, 07:02 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

MILLER AEAD-200LE WELDER AC/DC to TIG

I have an old MILLER AEAD-200LE WELDER AC/DC and it runs great and got a really good deal on it would like to add a TIG set up. Is it possible without spending a boat load of money? What would be the easiest way to add it on, if it is possible?

Comment

Don't be afraid of scratch start dc Tig welding. X-ray quality welds are made daily in the pressure pipe/vessel indistrial world with scratch start dc tig. You don't need high frequency start or remote amp control to tig weld ferrous metals. You only need that fancy/costly stuff to AC tig aluminum. If you get into industrial/construction work you won't see a high frequency start/remote amp machine. It's almost always scratch start.
              Lincoln Idealarc 250
              Miller Bobcat 250
              Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
              Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
              Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Working...
              X