Need help welding old tractor casting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help welding old tractor casting

Front grill rad housing off old tractor has a chunk Brock out of it. Made a piece out of steel and tried welding it with 7018- ni-rod and brazing so far nothing will stick to the cast.Any ideas out there?

Is it gray iron or cast steel? Did you preheat it before you tried to weld it? Need more information..

Comment

Was able to braze it. After heating it over 700f. Should have done that to start and may have been able to get it with ni rod. I believe it was gray cast and I warmed up to start but the ni rod would not stick.

Comment

Got any pics? I have been stick welding them for 30 some years...Bob
        Bob Wright

Comment

No pics bob! I did get the piece I made of mild steel brzed in there, but would love to hear the steps you would have taken to successfully weld it up

Comment

Since you asked here are my 3 steps for a tractor casting that had froze and broke. The owner ground out the crack so now it just was a groove real wide and real long. No preheat as the rods i use Crown Alloys 255 don't need it plus notice the snow in the background it was cold out. Then i wrapped it in fiberglass and let it cool...Bob
            Attached Files
            Bob Wright

Comment

Working...
            X