Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas Lens + Pipe Screens = No More Spatter in Lenses!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just because you are a good driver doesn't mean you shouldn't buckle your seatbelt before you hit the pedal

Comment

Laminar Flow

Originally posted by fairandfree View Post
      Just because you are a good driver doesn't mean you shouldn't buckle your seatbelt before you hit the pedal
      Not trying to be mean spirited.... but we seem to be missing each other in the fog.... I think you are barking up the wrong tree... well intentioned.. but misdirected...

1. The purpose of a gas lense is to direct the shielding gas in a laminar flow so that it can hug the surface without turbulence.... introducing anything into that gas stream will destroy the laminarity of that flow and reintroduce the turbulence that the gas lense was supposed to eliminate.... thus destroying its usefulness....Bottom line... you are back to square one and might as well be using a conventional cup and collet....

2. If you are getting spatter while tig welding you have a problem with the process, preparation or technique... drop back and reexamine what you are doing... if you are getting spatter then your weld quality is likely suffering as well, with contamination and inclusions... and are defeating one of the major advantages of TIG and that is the purity of the weld bead...

Have attached a couple of pics of the laminar flow

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas lens.png
Views:	2
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	512270

Click image for larger version

Name:	gaslens1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	512271

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Isn't deionized water cheaper to buy that buying a DI filter and RO membrane for a TIG torch cooler?

Comment

Originally posted by brims View Post
          Isn't deionized water cheaper to buy that buying a DI filter and RO membrane for a TIG torch cooler?
          Not if you already have an RO system. Get yourself some much better tap water and free coolant at the same time. The RO membrane and DI filter are not installed in your cooler, they are just used to obtain a supply of clean and deionized water for use in a closed-circuit flow loop. Once you cap off your tank (you can use a 3 or 5 gallon water bottle if you would like to visually inspect your coolant at will) and connect your lines, you don't need a filter in your water cooler system.

Comment

Hiya FairandFree. Welcome!!!!

Nice of you to join the forum and share your discoveries with us. Keep'em coming.

I use RO water in my coolers too. I don't think it takes out all the minerals, but in 33 years I have never had a problem with corrosion.

BBUUUUTTT,
            filters are definately recommended. Last thing you want is to pump lint into your torch. All of my Procons have screens built into the pump. If I did not have them I would purchase standalone filter screens.
            Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
            3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
            Miller Dynasty200DX
            ThermalArc 400 GTSW
            MillerMatic350P
            MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
            MKCobraMig260
            Lincoln SP-170T
            Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
            Hypertherm 1250
            Hypertherm 800
            PlasmaCam CNC cutter
            Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
            SiberHegner CNC Mill
            2 ea. Bridgeport
            LeBlond 15" Lathe
            Haberle 18" Cold Saw
            Doringer 14" Cold Saw
            6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

Originally posted by fairandfree View Post
              It is more like adding a second seatbelt to the drivers seat believing it will make for a better driver rather then improving on the basic skills of driving.

Comment

Working...
              X