Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water cooled torch with air cooled welder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water cooled torch with air cooled welder?

I am going to buy a Dynasty 200 DX--air cooled model because that's all I can afford right now--but was wondering if I can use a water cooled torch with it? The reason I ask is that if I every wanted to upgrade and buy a water cooler I wouldn't have to buy another torch. I may never need to go water cooled, but would still like to have that option.

Thanks

The Dynasties are all the same. A water-cooled torch hooks up through the water-cooled dinse (plug that fits the face of the welder). Instead of just the shield gas connection, the water-cooled dinse has an additional hose whip for coolant out. This cools the torch conductor as copper increases resistance as temperature increases and for flexibility, this conductor is under-sized. Since GTAW sources are constant current, it could burn out if not cooled, usually causing the rubber to blister.

The box is still air cooled.

Comment

Ok, thanks!

Comment

Wet!!!!

And of course a water cooler, pump and resevior.... running dry will destroy a water cooled torch in short order...... what you will be looking for in a water cooled torch is one of the wp-20 style.... made by many manufacturers...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Is there any reason a person couldn't make their own cooler set up? Get some small resevoir, a pump and a small radiator and fan??

Comment

Originally posted by ILikeFlyin View Post
            Is there any reason a person couldn't make their own cooler set up? Get some small resevoir, a pump and a small radiator and fan??
            you sure can.... lots of people have.... the heart of the cooler is a procon vane type carbonator pump.... just do a search on "procon" and "tig cooler" it has been covered in some detail.... lots of diy cooler threads here... the pumps show up on ebay and at junkyards...
            Last edited by H80N; 12-09-2011, 01:45 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 200

Comment

It's not politically correct, and might raise some eyebrows in many areas of the US, but I have read where some guys have put together a few pieces from the local home improvement store and run water from a faucet to the torch and then to the drain. I don't know how long you can do that before the passages in the head clog, and you will definately be wasting some water, but it should work.

Comment

"City Water"

Originally posted by Kevin Meier View Post
                It's not politically correct, and might raise some eyebrows in many areas of the US, but I have read where some guys have put together a few pieces from the local home improvement store and run water from a faucet to the torch and then to the drain. I don't know how long you can do that before the passages in the head clog, and you will definately be wasting some water, but it should work.
                That used to be called the "City Water" option.... your LWS may even have an old city water adapter kit on a dusty shelf... lots of older welders had an internal water solenoid built in just for that solution.... depending how hard your water is will determide how long you can get away with it.... you also want to put a water pressure regulator inline to make sure that surges or overpressure don't rupture torch lines....... (and a water filter to keep crud out of the passages)

hard water with rust particles is also conductive.... so is a no no in a TIG torch.... ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice...

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 200

Comment

Working...
                X