Looking to buy a new welding hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy a new welding hood

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on buying a auto darkening hood. I've been looking at the Miller digital elite but I've seen on here that people have had a lot of problems. I'm new at welding I've only been doing it for 4 1/2 months But i wanna get a good welding hood that will last awhile. If anybody could help me out i would really appreciate it.

Digital Elite Hood

While we respect all opinions, we think the Digital Elite Hood is pretty well received. Here's one person's account...

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...hlight=skeptic

Comment

3m

3M makes a hood called speedglass they come with all types of options, i.e. darkness setting, grind feature, and vents at your mouth that allows fresh air in, they are not as flashy as a miller elites but for functionality, and durability its the way to go they are about as expensive as an elite but you will have far less problems out of them. miller makes the best welders, hoods not so much

Comment

Originally posted by TheBamBam27 View Post
        miller makes the best welders, hoods not so much
        I don't agree with that at all. I have been using my Miller Pro Hobby for a few years now with zero problems. I weld .045 fluxcore at least 8 1/2 hours a day 6 days a week with it...Bob
        Bob Wright

Comment

I have come to the conclusion that they all can become junk quite easily.
          You just have to learn to treat them somewhat like a pair of eyeglasses.
          I mean, they don't much like getting wet, or extremely hot or cold either. They hate to sit around as well.
          I've even stepped in the middle of a few
          I think a mid price model is the best place for a newbie to start. That way you can get a handle on which way you wish to go later. They all make good ones. You just need to figure out what turns you on and is a good value.
          If you take good care of it and it continues to last then you'll have you a spare when you get an even better one.
          With only 4 1/2 months in you could spend those xtra bucks in about a hundred places.
          There aren't that many processes that require the high end helmets, and you don't say what type of welding you do, or if it is at home or for money.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
          Miller WC-115-A
          Miller Spectrum 300
          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Bwe

I have had zero probs with the quality of Miller helmets....
            Have had a Miller Big Window Elite since they came out... and it has given me excellent service over the last 6 or so years..... I did end up replacing the batteries in it a few months back... not too bad $6 worth of bats over 6 plus years.... A significant amount of my welding is pulsed inverter TIG ......

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
            Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I have had a Digital Elite for 2 years, great hood, zero problems. I would buy another tomorrow if this one was damaged.

Comment

Im a sheet metal fabricator. Sorry I didnt mention it. Thank you all for your posts. Hope you all have a wonderful christmas
                Last edited by Brianfagio; 12-24-2011, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brianfagio View Post
                  Im a sheet metal fabricator.
                  I do a lot of automotive panelbeating and low amperage pulsed tig to join it.... does that count???

The low amp pulsed inverter TIG is some of the worst stuff to get you flashed.. because it fools a lot of masks... the BWE has been excellent... and I have been told that the digital is even better.... have a Jackson EQC as well and it is useless in that environment...
                  Hope this is helpful...
                  Last edited by H80N; 12-24-2011, 09:15 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 200

Comment

It seems like most all of the makers put out a pretty good product and how much trouble a person has with any of them seems connected pretty stongly to how well the hood is treated and taken care of. I have both a Jackson and a Miller and from my expereince there are a couple of things to check out before making a purchase:

(1) How much light gets in from behind and what kind of reflections are seen on the backside of the lens? Some people, like me, are bothered by reflections and others not so much.

(2) If you can several different kinds for a bit, see how they feel on your head. The headgear on both of my helmets seem to not fit me too well and I have to really crank them down tight to keep them from slipping around. Neither of them is really a lightweight, so that may have something to do with all this or maybe my head is just funny shaped . A buddy has a helmet that is both lighter than either of mine and also has a more comfy headgear. His is made by METALMAN and I am not sure of the model or where he got it or how much he spent on it, but it is made in CHINA, if that is a consieration for you.

One thing I think is kind of neat about his helmet is that the knob for setting lens darkness is on the outside and all of mine have all knobs, buttons and switches inside.

Further considerations are ventilation and mounting for cheater lenses (if you need them). I tend to be a kind of heavy breather, I guess, so I can fog up a lens somewhat, especially between the lens and the cheater lens I have to use to be able to see the puddle well. I seem to do that a lot when TIG welding where I really need to see the puddle well...maybe TIG just excites me too much!! I have now gone to wearing a cheap set of +1.50 or sometimes a +1.25 reading glasses inside the helmet and NOT using a helmet mounted cheater lens.

One more thing...graphics on a helmet can raise the price significantly, so if performance is more important to you than bling, keep that in mind. I don't know why, but adding graphics can sometimes really raise the price and other times not....Graphics may make you look cooler, but won't make you a better weldor!

I will say that being able to see the puddle well can make a BIG DIFFERENCE in how well you can weld and how fast you learn to weld well, compared to not seeing it as well as you should. I just didn't realize how poorly I was seeing the puddle for a long time until I experimented with lenses and covers to stop reflections from behind me in bright light. I think all this makes a difference in how fast you learn and maybe once you have it down well, it may not make such a big difference.
                    Last edited by dondlhmn; 12-25-2011, 09:27 AM.
                    Don J
                    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Comment

hood

Speedglass is one of the best hoods out there. I own 2 one for backup and I've never had to use my backup it's been 6 years.

Comment

It seems like most all of the makers put out a pretty good product and how much trouble a person has with any of them seems connected pretty stongly to how well the hood is treated and taken care of. I have both a Jackson and a Miller and from my expereince there are a couple of things to check out before making a purchase:

(1) How much light gets in from behind and wht kind of reflections are seen on the backside of the lens? Some people, like me, are bothered by reflections and others not so much.

(2) If you can wear each of them for a bit, see how they feel on your head. The headgear on both of my helmets seem to not fit me too well and I have to really crank them down tight to keep them from slipping around. Neither of them is really a lightweight, so that may have something to do with all this or maybe my head is just funny shaped . A buddy has a helmet that is both lighter than either of mine and also has a more comfy headgear. His is made by METALMAN and I am not sure of the mdel or where he got it, but it is made in CHINA, if that is a consieration for you.

One thing I think is kind of neat about his helmet is that the knob for setting lens darkness is on the outside and all of mine have all knobs, buttons and switches inside.

Further considerations are ventilation and mounting for cheater lenses (if you need them). I tend to be a kind of heavy breather, I guess, so I can fog up a lens somewhat, especially between the lens and the cheater lens I have to use to be able to see the puddle well. I seem to do that a lot when TIG welding where I really need to see the puddle well...maybe TIG just excites me too much!! I have now gone to wearing a cheap set of +1.50 or sometimes a +1.25 reading glasses inside the helmet and NOT using a helmet mounted cheater lens.

One more thing...graphics on a helmet can raise the price significantly, so if performance is more important to you than bling, keep that in mind. I don't know why, but adding graphics can sometimes really raise the price and other times not....Graphics may make you lood cooler, but won't make you a better weldor!

I will say that being able to see the puddle well can make a BIG DIFFERENCE in how well you can weld and how fast you learn to weld well, compared to not seeing it as well as you should. I just didn't realize how poorly I was seeing the puddle for a long time until I experimented with lenses and covers to stop reflections from behind me in bright light. I think all this makes a difference in how fast you learn and maybe once you have it down well, it may not make such a big difference.
                        Don J
                        Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Comment

I really find the side windows and hard hat built into the Speedglas ProTop a must have feature that beat out other helmets I have previously owned.

Comment

I sure dont recommend the digital elite - have had nothing but issues with mine. To make it even worse is my local Airgas rep said the only why to resolve the problem was to put it in the trash can and buy another one , said sending it back would cost more than buying a new one ... Not impressed - all my shop equip is Miller and with as much as ive spent on there eqiup i expected a little better help. Swapped to a lincoln auto hood and it has been great , and it has no on- off button , that is even better.

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp rat View Post
                              I sure dont recommend the digital elite - have had nothing but issues with mine. To make it even worse is my local Airgas rep said the only why to resolve the problem was to put it in the trash can and buy another one , said sending it back would cost more than buying a new one ... Not impressed - all my shop equip is Miller and with as much as ive spent on there eqiup i expected a little better help. Swapped to a lincoln auto hood and it has been great , and it has no on- off button , that is even better.
                              could you explain your problems with it in more detail??

how old it was??

the location and name of the LWS??

these particulars would be very helpful..............

My Blue Stuff:
                              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                              Dynasty 200DX
                              Millermatic 200

Comment

Working...
                              X