Girl Welders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girl Welders

Most people don't think Women have what it takes to become a good enough welder as a male. But i feel that its not true, women can do anything they put their minds to. If men can do a women's job, why can't a women do a man's job?

So if you agree or disagree please reply thank you very much.

You are working from an outdated premise.....

Welding is neither a mans or womans job... I know many people of both genders with excellent welding skills who are well respected in their field and are earning an excellent income doing so....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Yea, that question might of made sense in 1938.
      But sounds rediculous post WWII unless you are just trying to stir the pot.
      Movin on.

JTMcC.
      Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Barefoot and pregnant. Go cook something
        Miller Dynasty 700
        Miller Dynasty 200
        Miller 350p
        Miler 252
        Hypertherm 1250
        Hobart Handler 187
        Lincoln 210
        Practical cnc

Comment

1) Hawk that was just plain wrong.

2) I've taken some welding classes with some women. Don't think they were going into welding though. It was just part of the curriculum.
          I've only worked with one woman who was a welder. It was MIG and production but she did quite well.
          My old welding instructors always said women make better welders than guys did. If you want to argue the point....compare most guys penmanship to their wives.

Comment

We've got 2 women at the mine and one is holding her own very well and she gets down and dirty, and the other, well lets move on.

Comment

Unrelated to welding I have had the pleasure of working with many competent women....

For several years my flight surgeon was a "Girl"..... she was competent and professional... aside from being an MD she is also a pilot, had her PHD in ergonomics, was an Air Force Colonel, and was a member of the Astronaut team.. and was heavily involved in the cockpit design of the next generation fighter plane.... also a good mother and wife......And... oh yea... I heard she made General a couple of years ago.... and a whole bunch more

http://www.ng.mil/ngbgomo/library/bio/327.htm

what was that you were saying "Firefizzle"????....

My manhood is not threatened by a "girl"...... is yours?? gender bias is for knuckledraggers.... grow up...
              Last edited by H80N; 12-03-2011, 09:36 PM. Reason: clarity

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
              Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

barf!

Outdated premis...good one. I believe the 'movement' began in the 60's and by the 70's, Helen Reddy was deep in the bra tossin movement as well. Remember that? "I am woman, hear me roar!". I think we just waste far too much time on 'gender bias' and PC crap. Just get working and people will respect you for it, or not. Who gives a crap what others think, really? But, for the intertainment value let's break it down:

"Most people don't think Women (she capitalized) have what it takes.."bla bla bla.

Really Chrystal? How would you know what "Most people think"? Gallop poles are for that, not welders. I think your baiting the waters. Then, there will be private messages and whispering...seen it a hundred times.

"Women can do anything they put their minds to"

Uh, objection! Outdated premis!! Can you stand up and pee? Doubt it unless your from Texas, but it's pointless to remind everyone of this. Really, what's the point? We see people try, fail and enjoy being bums every day and some are women too. Did they put their minds to that? I suppose so.

My old shooting instructor said "Women are better shots that men". Great, that may come in handy when you have a bad guy waiting for you to shoot him at 10 yards away in a controlled environment. It comes down to a multitude of factors and my wife can only make molten globs of steel with a lead in her hand. But she can go shopping with a hundred buck and come back with 2 hundred and 3 bags of food... I bow to that art.. I suck at it, bigtime. The fact is that women ARE better at some things than men, but unless your life revolves around being a 'victim' who cares. Please, somebody kill this thread. whew!
                "Create something. If you can't, make something better...or be a bum. I don't give a crap!" Anonymous

Comment

In general the women I have worked with in welding have felt like they had something to prove. After seeing their capability I think it is often a sense that they have of being perceived that way. For me I think there are good and bad welders of each *** as well as age and the rest of the things we can't base decisions on. That being what it is, I find good welders where they are, at work. Usually the good ones will be working and the less than good ones are drinking coffee.

Comment

I consider myself an equal opportunity welder...I will weld stainless steel, girls, aluminum and either low or higher carbon steel without regard to race, creed, gender or national origin!

Seriously, when it comes to the question of who makes a better _____________ (fill in the blank with whatever...weldor, shooter, shopper, bowler...) and given that pure physical strength is not what will be the deciding factor, is the person that starts out with NO pre-concieved notions about whatever is being attempted, takes training well, learns fairly quickly, and applies themselves the hardest will be a better _____________ in the long run.
                    Don J
                    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Comment

I've actually heard women can be better welders than guys. Steadier hands and more patience. There's a few where I work, and they do pretty well.

Comment

A frind of mine is a 92 (or 93) year old woman who is still sharp. She welded in the Richmond shipyard thru WWII.
                        So really it's a question that was answered at least 70 years ago by my buddy Ruby. She took pride in her skills and worked hard to produce high quality work under harsh conditions.
                        Anybody saying what the OP says in her first post is decades behind, and putting out bad info on the welding world as it is today. Either that or looking for an out.
                        If you consistently make xray nobody cares if you're a woman, a dwarf, a kid, an old geezer or an alien. Output rules.
                        So quit whining, quit trying to play the "gender card" (your predacessor sisters kicked down that door way before you were born) and make some welds.
                        That's my take on it.

JTMcC
                        Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Stand up to pee? Isn't that the oldest argument that we used as kids?

I would reply with "then have a baby" if you think standing up to pee is such a distinctive talent or capability. Or maybe try putting up with men.

Comment

swing and miss

"Stand up to pee? Isn't that the oldest argument that we used as kids?" You missed the point and it wasn't an argument but a comparison... whiff!

"Or maybe try putting up with men. " What? What's to put up with, really? Everyone, regardless of gender, has idiosyncrasies that separate them from others...most call it a personallity or lack of it. whiff! strike two.

This is getting low brow...who cares!!! It's gender baiting.. but, ill give it some slack...she's young. It's a tough world out there and attitude is everything.
                            "Create something. If you can't, make something better...or be a bum. I don't give a crap!" Anonymous

Comment

Women were welding during the First World War in shipyards and war production. 1916, the date the US entered WWI, is nearly a century ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X